Tags
reels surf
19K views 62 replies 24 participants last post by  Striperjim 
#1 ·
Shimano Spheros
Daiwa B/G
Abu 6500

#52 ·
WORK BRAID BACK BY OVERLAPPING EACH THREAD MAKING SURE THEY CROSS ONE AT A TIME AND UNIFORM. WHEN YOU REACH THE END FEED BRAID OUT OF THE LOOP THE SAME WAY YOU CAME IN. IN THIS PIC YOU WILL NOTICE THE LAST OVERLAP WAS INCORRECT AND NEEDED TO BE WRAPPED OVER ONCE MORE TO COMPLETE THE SEQUENCE CORRECTLY. THEN MOVE ON

#56 ·
Its not really Khary, Its a simple wrap actually. Just a modification of the albright It does take a little practice. I didnt know until now that i'd need it for getting through the guides.
My other alternative would be to put a wider tip on the rod but i aint doing that to a new custom rod. :BenNudd:

#57 ·
I can do the albright. but the extra wrapping looks as if you'd have to get it exactly right or the knot wont work right. I'm gonna mess around and see if I can get it looking as pertty as in the pictures.

#58 ·
+if you use 15lb braid and 20-25lb fluoro it may be able to pass through guides. but i don;t bother to make a leader long enough to pass through my guides (chunking bait) my leader is 80lb 45" as that would be a cows length. 65lb power pro/ if he rolls over that knot it is strong enough as i will play him close to the surf anticipating such. in actuality a longer leader can be rolled into his gill plate and be cut , as opposed to the braid which will hold him better till he rolls back over again. had this happen and landed them. but have lost some big fish at the shoreline back in the day due to inadequate terminal tackle and line. i have not lost a fish since i have used that knot. had a leader cut off but knot held

#59 ·
I like my old reliables, the 704z's and my Epixor 65. I've had that Epixor three seasons now, all banged and scratched from the rocks on RI, but it's still strong.

I also will use my new SLX30SHV this year as well as my new Penn 750ssm, A new Nautil 7500 (new to me). A new Okuma Alumina 55 and a 65. A new Daiwa Capricorn 4500.

I'll let you guys know how they fair for me this season.

#60 ·
I have two cheap-o Shimano AX 500S reels. Haven't failed the wife and I yet. We haven't caught any cows on them but plenty of fish schoolies to 31 inches and a 36 incher with no problems. We currently have 8 foot Abu Garcia Workhorse rods but I am upgrading to a 10' Lamiglas Surf King. the 1 to 4 ounce lure recomended model. My buddy fishes penns and loves em, I was thinking possibly a shimano baitrunner, but then again I might just grab another cheap shimano AX.Yeah a nicer reel would be great but the rod itself is going to be such an improvement. What do you guys think would be the perfect reel fora rod like that? I fish chunks and live mackerels alot but plan on also fishing needlefish and stuff at night this summer. I want a good all purpose spinner that wont break the bank. Okay, I'm gonna shut up now.

#63 ·
Abu ambassadeur 6500
Penn 704
Penn 704Z
Penn 710
Penn 525 mag
Penn 113H
Penn 545
Cabo PT 5000
Daiwa emblem pro
Daiwa sealine x 30 shv
Shimano Baitrunner 4500 and 6500
Penn 9500SS
Penn 8500SS
Penn 7500SS
Garcia Mitchell 302
Mitchell 306

For the type of fishing I do i dont need anything more than the 704s and maybe the baitrunner. The rest are just fun. I might use them to balance different rods or to get some distance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.