Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Post your set ups!

Tags
post set ups
45K views 107 replies 49 participants last post by  ChefBX 
#1 ·
Hey guys, i just wanted to see what set ups everyone was using, bait-casting or spinning or anything else ! I'm tryin to make a set up but there are just too many possibilities, hopefully this will narrow my choices down!

Thanks for your time,

J.C.

#94 ·
Updated arsenal list for 2008:

13'-3" Daiwa Saltiga Ballistic Surf, Fuji SiC New Concept rung DP, Daiwa Tournament Millionaire 7HT MAG*, 17lb Sufix Tritanium, Penn Powerflex shock :sydan:
13'-2" All Star 1507 with Fuji Lowriders, Daiwa Tournament Surf Basia, 20lb Sufix running line/65lb PP casting leader.:sydan:
13'-2" Zziplex Syncro, Shimano PowerAero #1, 20lb Sufix running line/100lb PP casting leader (Sufix Key Lime .28 mono, Penn Powerflex shock TOURNAMENT CASTING)
13' Breakaway HDX, Shimano PowerAero #2, 20lb Sufix running line/100lb PP casting leader (Penn Super Surf .31 mono, Penn Powerflex shock TOURNAMENT CASTING)
12'-6" Rainshadow 1569, Fuji Lowriders, Daiwa Tournament S6000-T, 20lb Sufix running line/100lb PP casting leader. :sydan:
11'-9" factory Breakaway, Daiwa Tournament Iso-Ento 4500, 20lb Sufix running line/65lb PP casting leader.
11' St. Croix Ben Doerr, Daiwa Tournament S5000-T, 20lb Sufix/65lb PP.
10'-6" St. Croix Ben Doerr, Ambassadeur 7000C3, 17lb Suffix
10'-6 Loomis Surf Series, Daiwa SSII3500, 20lb PP:sydan:
10' Lamiglass Surf King, Daiwa 3000SSII, 14lb Fireline
9'-6" Cabela?s Fish Eagle, Daiwa SS2600, 12lb Suffix
9'-6" Kunnan Advantage, acid wrapped, Ambassadeur 6500 Daintree 12lb Suffix
9' custom lite plugging, single foot guides, Daiwa SS2600, 15lb PP:sydan:
8'-6" St. Croix Ben Doerr, SS2600, 14lb Fireline
7'-6" Loomis GL-3, Daiwa SS1600, 14lb Fireline:sydan:
7' St. Croix Ben Doerr, Daiwa SS1300, 14lb Fireline

#96 ·
Yeah, it's a UK model. I'm taking the lazy way out, dead tired, tough one at work :thumbs2: Here's the Daiwa sales info and then a report I posted on another site . . .

-----------------------

Magnetism like you will never have seen before is at the heart of the new 7HT Mag. By creating a magnetic control system that is able to adjust itself during the cast gives you the ultimate form of brake control any angler could wish for.
It is called Magnofuge.

Allowing the spool to hit maximum speed at the beginning of the cast Magnofuge kicks in almost instantly. As the reel detects the centrifugal force of the spool reducing it activates minute and gradual adjustment to the magnetic resistance, but in perfect synchronicity with the speed of the spool.

Straight from the box again the latest 7HT is 'cast ready' and thanks to the wide range of magnetic settings available through easy grip, CNC machined dial you can tailor the range to suit any condition.

On the winding front the Mag offers a swift ratio of 5.8:1, six ball bearings of which five are CRBBs and an improved handle size and grip.

FEATURES
• Magnofuge - intelligent magnetic braking
• 6 bearings including 5 CRBBs
• Rigid one-piece duraluminium frame
• Infinite Anti-Reverse
• Improved power handle
• Lightweight anodised aluminium spool
• Daiwa five-point support system and low-frame crossbars
• High grade brass drive gear
• Stainless steel pinion gear
• Smooth and powerful star drag

-----------------------
Recently bought a Daiwa Millionaire Tournament 7HT MAG from the UK and paired it up with a custom Daiwa Saltiga Ballistic Surf 35-405 (13'-3" / 4oz - 12oz) rod I bought off another site . . . What a set-up! This is a fishing rig, not tournament casting! The 7HT has a long history on Britain's tough shores and this new model with "smart" magnet controls is a real performer.

Spooled it up with 17lb Suffix (.40mm) with 1mm of the spool showing. Reel is factory rated to hold 330 yards of .35mm (15lb) line. Used 60lb shockleader attached with a spider / no name.

Casting with a few guys Sunday at the Marlton field we had a gentle breeze down the field. Started with a 150gm tourney sinker and the mag on 5; throwing OTG the sinker towed the line off the reel all the way to touchdown and the first couple "get to know ya" casts were in around 145yards. Ended up with a setting of 3 and a bit of fluff and the last few casts were out at a consistent 175 yards.

Casting today I used a Hatteras style fishfinder rig, the Aussie pyramid in the pictures that weighed 6.7oz and a 1" X 2" X 1/2" chunk of ethafoam as simulated bait. I was purposely casting into a quartering wind and on a 6 to 6.5 setting this reel kept everything under control without excessive towing. Casts were between 95 and 120 yards depending on the gusts.

I'm very happy with the reel, it will be a great set-up for chunking and I will definitely give it some duty with my heavier plugs. It is an expensive acquisition right now with the dollar in the tank. The reel can be had for £120 - £128 after the EU tax is dropped off and figure shipping to be around £12 - £18, depending on the shop charging "handling" as well. This puts the total cost to your door at $275 - $290 . . .

--------------

Keith White has a thorough test / review of this reel although from a tournament casting viewpoint. Understand the reel is designed for fishing and controlling the spool with less than aerodynamic payloads. The video in the review is still worth watching.

The more I cast it the better I like it. I fished Fortescue on the Delaware Bay and casting into an uncomfortably strong wind the reel performed flawlessly.

Here's two more pictures . . .

#99 ·
2 -4500 Shimano Baitrunners /8ft ML Uglysticks
1 -6500 Baitrunner 10ft MH Uglystick
1 -11ft Sunami /phluger pres 6760
2 -7000 AbuGarcia /Fenwick Techna AV Triggerstik 8ft
and a bunch of other stuff for guest

#101 ·
8' St. Croix Legend Surf with a Shimano Stradic 4000 (tight area, lightest plugs)

Lamiglas GLB 108 1MH with a VS 150 (light plugs, calm conditions)

Lamiglas GSB 120 1L cut to 9'6" with a VS 200 (live eels)

Lamiglas GSB 120 1M with a VS 250 (heavier plugs, rigged eels, rough conditions)

Lamiglas GSB 132 1M with a VS 275 (heaviest plugs, extra distance, and really strong currents)

10'6" St. Croix Premier with a Shimano Baitrunner 6500B (chunking)

Each one has it's time and place.

#102 ·
hi all!
im new here and new to the surf casting world here in mass...:sign4:

my little guy is a 9' penn captiva rod/reel store bought combo with 20lb braid... does the job for pluggin'

my baby is a 12' daiwa sealine surf paired up with a penn battle 6000 with 60lb braid for the cows.

im used to florida surf fishing for tarpon or cobia, and i know these stripers up here will put up a great fight!

cheers!

#105 ·
Well, all these are the rods that see water every year. Want to guess which one I'm casting tonight, May 6,2012?

9'-6 custom built spin on Batson 1207, Fuji gudies, ZeeBaas Z25
10" custom built spin on (?) 1208 from Mudhole, Fuji guides, Penn 750SS
9'-10" custom built conventional, on Batson 1209, PacBay N guides, Penn 525 Mag

(The above I wrapped as a matched set with the same color wraps and trims)

And (all custom built) -

8' Fenglass 12-20 lb line class spin, Fuji guides Penn 650 SS
7' Fenglass 12-20lb lne class conv. popping rod, Fuji guides, Penn 970 Mag
10' Fenglass Surf, 20-40 lb line class(3-8oz cast weight) conv.,Fuji
guides, Penn 980 Mag
9'-6"- Lamiglass MB108H spin, Fuji guides, Penn 650SS
12' Fenglass Surf spin, Fuji guides, Penn 704 bailed

And the first good surf rod I ever built and owned-

11'-6" Lamiglass 1362 S-glass spin, Fuji/Perfection guides , Penn 706 manual pickup nice.gif

#106 ·
Let me tell you, I think I have a few good setups here. 10ft Tsunami rods with Quantum SP80 reels, 30# Power pro. That doesn't matter one bit... This guy that was fishing next to us last week had 2 rods, don't know make or model, but both rods had broken tips and not a lot of line on the reels but he caught 2 good fish and a ton of bait. I with my 200 dollar setups GOT SKUNKED!!! I'm going to Walmart...:frustrated:
So what I am thinking is that it's not the money we spend on a setup, it's the knowladge of where we are fishing...

#108 ·
Back bay, under 1.5oz. -- lami mb1083m bailess 710z 20# suffix performance braid
Bay mouth , inlet and open moderate beach. -- st.Croix mojo 10ft. 1-4 2,3 oz. Plugging battle 5000 40# suffix performance braid
St.Croix triumph 10ft. Same reel and line as above, same area used for bucks and light swim shads
Open beach and everywhere baitstix 11ft. Tsunami trophy sh 6-10oz. Shimano baitrunner 8000 65# suffix performance braid.
Big surf -- a Caruso custom century 1327 slingshot 11ft. 2-5oz. Bailess 704z 50# performance braid. Big plugs and tins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.