Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

First plug out of the bag.

Tags
bag plug
11K views 36 replies 27 participants last post by  richtrox 
#1 ·
Whats your first plug you grab for. Everyone has a favorite.
No matter what the conditions I find myself throwing a casting swimmer.

#31 ·
Mostly a homemade 2 oz. spook for the first few casts. It casts pretty far and gets my line unkinked and wet. Plus , being a pretty high floater I can let it drift a bit and judge what the water's doing. And I've caught a few large on them so mojo plays a pretty big part.
Then I start working from the bottom up- bucktails, tins ,needles, leftys, sluggos, darters, swimmers, dannys....
Yeah, I do carry a ridiculous amount of stuff in my bag. Paranoia I guess...

#32 ·
Anyones first plug changing as the season has progressed? My trust yellow darter that was so successful a couple months ago, has not been the producer it once was as of late. Bait changes.. so lures change too. I'm finding I reach for a smaller metal lip first.

#33 ·
Im chompin at the bit. Havent fished since the Maine outing.
When not taking the wood for practice swims. Ill use the tins as a scouting lure, or I'll use a pencil to search.

#37 ·
Can't really pick just one because so much is dependent on where I'm fishing and what the prevailing bait is. I can narrow it down to three that I start with that cover about 90% of my fishing. I fish almost exclusively at night.

Bay flats and white bait - SS 5 1/4" needlefish in yellow/white for light nights, olive/white or blue/white for dark nights. They cast great even in a head wind and they catch fish.

Deep fast water (inlets, bridge channels, etc.) Andrus bucktails w/ #70 rinds, or my own lead and rubber creations.

Open beach or bay where large bait is present (bunker, hickory shad) - first plug out of the bag is a big bottle plug, typically yellow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.