Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

New Striper247 member - anxious to fish

12K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  Striperjim 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm a new member on this board and I'm getting back into surf fishing after a long time away from the sport. I took a ride down to Sandy Hook last week just for fun and now the old juices are flowing. It's time for some new equipment. Can any of you veterans give me some guidance as to what I want in the rod and reel category? Rod - what length and action do I want for fishing from the beach? Reel - what would match well with the recommended rod? Easy does it on the price please.

#27 ·
Sounds like you are ready to go. I have been stickiing with fishing the jettys right now. This time of year with the water still alittle chilly I prefer the inlet jettys that are up in the bay side of the inlets. In my area the bait fish seem to schhol up around the rocks and arn't in the surf yet. I do alot of driving around looking for signs of bait and birds then I will fish that spot until the bait moves on and the search begins again. Alot of guys have there few favorite spots and stick and wait for the bait and the fish. I prefer to hunt them down. This time of year they move around alot so you might want do do some scouting around. In the way of waders yes you will need a pair. I prefer the noeprene fly fishing chest waders. I forget what brand they are but they stap around your shoulders and have a nice size chest pocket for pliers and stuff. A would definetly recommend a pair of jetty spikes if you are going to fish the rocks. They run around 20-25$ but they will save your ass on slippery rock fighting that monster STRIPER. If you get a pair of waders be sure to bring them with you if you buy a pair of jetty spike to fit them to the size of the boot on you waders. Better luck on your next trip. Just remember it seems like you have to put out alot of cash to get setup with rod and reel, waders, and etc but if you take good care of them they will last many years of great fishing. Good choice on the power pro. It may take awhile to get used to but it is great line. Just be careful. Dont wrap it around you hand to pull up a fish. It will slice you like a Knife. I use a finger tab when casting any real weight so it doesn't slice my casting finger. Good luck and tight lines. :D :D :D

#28 ·
LOL waders are good until sometime in May for me....I used to use Hodgman Neoprene Chest waders, the kind with the boots, well I've learned that where the neoprene meets the rubber can be a bit rough on a calf, so I picked up a new pair this year, Reg price at Dicks Sporting goods 59.98, on sale a few weeks ago for 49.98....3.5mm Hodgman Chestwaders with neoprene socks not the boots.....Much more comfortable than the rubber boots....but thats my preference

#30 ·
Just wanted to see how your new setup is!!

Hey gary wassss uppp! how is your new setup treating you. Have you been out since yor last trip. I have been doing pretty good. 4 nice bass in 2 trips, and some shorts and alot of good hits and runoffs. Just curious how you were making out with your new gear. Did you get a pair of waders yet.let me know. I will be heading down to cape may to my favorite bass hole off my favorite jetty so we will see whats up. The temp is up to 53deg. now so it will only get better from now. Tight lines and catch the cow to bring home some dinner. Nothing like a fresh stripe fillet an the grill. MMMM-yummy.good luck and post back when you get a chance. :twisted: :D :twisted: :D

#31 ·
Hey Smitty, Nut's. I haven't been able to get back out since the first trip to the Raritan Bay (and the unexpected knee-deep, barefoot wading!) I was thinking of going today but high tide was either too late or way too early for me. I've got a bunch of kid's activites underway and I also coach little league baseball so time is tight right now. Next week is looking promising. I haven't heard much positive news about the ocean surf yet so I'll probably head back to the bay. Let me know how you make out!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.