Marsh/River fishing the Northeast - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:46 AM

Default Marsh/River fishing the Northeast

Question? When stripers return to the Northeast for the season, there following the warming water trend and migrating forage correct? Now when they arrive up this far north, do they stage in deeper offshore or outter harbor waters before they move up onto the beaches and into rivers ect...? Or is it that once there up north, they spread out all over (or wherever theres proper habitat)?
I ask because theres a great spot in Barnstable Ma. where I caught my second biggest striper some years ago. Anyway, its on the south side of Cape Cod. Centerville Harbor and at the back of the harbor, theres a small canal that heads east/west. About 3/4mile up the canal a shallow and narrow river branches off to the north as the canal continues on. As the tide was heading out, the stripers were rushing to get back to the canal and out to deeper water. I watched 7-10 large stripers thrashing there way back to the canal almost 1/2 out of the shallow water. One actually stopped to eat and I caught em on squid.
Anyway, I don't remember what month it was (July - Aug) but will the bass run in and out of small rivers like this all season?? or did I just get lucky. Could the more experienced enlighten me please?? I only know largemouth and smallmouth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2006, 10:15 PM

Bassin Al. I find that they usually feed on the flats early and late or when the barometer suddenly drops. More so at night.
I dont know for sure about your area but I certainly would be back at that spot more than a few times. Theres something there that they like. Whether it be the presence of bait or the outflow of the canal.
I find that stipers like to herd bait in small harbors.
Sometimes the back is the spot.
Try the same conditions again. July and outgoing tide.
Like rock always says though. Fish dont read.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:18 PM

Spring and cooler waters the bass chase the bait into the bay and rivers, seem to school tighter together. I would say by memorial day when the water warms night time feedings in the bay but mostly out front in ocen cooler water... morning and evening best
Old 03-19-2006, 05:49 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Our Herring (Alewive) run is what brings tha Bass upriver in the Spring when they return here. Upon returning, alot of the fish will scream upriver right to the head-of-tide to feast on the Herring. In my area, this lasts from approx. Mothers Day till the end of June. Once the water warms a bit and the Herring Run is over, the fish will drop back down into the rivers and out along the beaches. Ofcourse not every fish travels to the head-of-tide. During the "dog days" of Summer, fish will definitely move out to deeper water and come back in to feed at night when its cooler.

Seeing fish drop down from a tidal river is quite a sight....I have witnessed it numerous times in the marsh, alot of times being in July and August. Tons of Stripers riding the outgoing lol, splashing, flip-flopping, and doing their best Shamu belly-flops across the surface

Throw a surr-fiss paw-pah in theya!

Old 03-29-2006, 04:47 PM

Thanks for the replies.Good info. Yea I was seeing some nice fish fighting their way back to the harbor. I couldn't believe they were still in the river with the tide so low.
So the bait may start running up rivers as early as mothers day huh?
Old 03-29-2006, 10:32 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Oh ya, its like clockwork. The fish are definitely there between the 10th and 15th of May, every year. They fly up there to feast