Salem Harbor for a newbie????? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 03-16-2012, 02:05 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Salem Harbor for a newbie?????

I am a newbie at the kayak striper game and hope to gain as much insight to it as I can before August. See, I was reading about this striper shootout happening in Salem out of Winter Harbor campground and couldnt help my self. I had just bought an Oceans Trident 15 angler (never kayaked before either) and what the hell ya only live once. I have the RV spot already but I am asking for some direction around that bay that a newbie can keep himself mostly out of trouble and catch a schoolie or two doing it. I have been looking at the maps NOAA info. I cant see me going the outer side of MarbleHead. Just to the north west if it though I see some small islands. What is the water like up in there. How is the fishing and water up in the bay itself? I plan on using tube and worm and just trolling around may be a little jigging. I will be doing everything during the day and NOTHING out there at night. I plan on trying to get down there for a day or two before the event but who knows I am looking at the event as a place to meet some good people and may be catch a fish or two. But I really want to get some ocean experience in my new Yak. Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 06:36 AM
Pro Staff

Default Re: Salem Harbor for a newbie?????

I've never fished that area, so can't really help you out along those lines, but one thing that can't be stressed enough to new kayakers is to dress for the water temps, not the air temps. If you are prepared for the worst, you will be more likely to survive should that scenario play out. Invest in a pair of neoprene or breathable waders, a quality dry top (like NRS), a wader belt, and a quality PFD. This will keep you floating and somewhat dry should you happen to capsize in cold water and increase your chances of survival.

I also STRONGLY recommend that, after you're properly geared up, you find some quiet water and practice self rescue. This is the art of getting back into your kayak without assistance should you happen to find that you have exited your seat unexpectedly. Practice until you can easily do it in controlled conditions, and when the real thing happens, you'll be very glad you did.

Here are 2 different methods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4RsHltkOgE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhTQWgRQXZ4
Old 03-16-2012, 08:09 AM
Striper Hunter

The first vid wouldnt load but the second was very good. I was impressed. From the time he dumped to the time he was back out of the water was 1min 9sec. Now that looked like it was warmer months and probably warmer water and calm. I can easily see that time climbing to 4+ min in our waters with a good wind, chop, current, and not to mention the cold. Now i have 5mm neopreme chest waders. I will be getting a belt, pfd, and a dry top. I should have all this in a month or so then i will work on the reentry.

I was also impressed that i dont think he lost one piece of equipment.

Thanks for the pointers!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Striper Hunter

Salem has a lot of structure.. There are islands and shoals all about the area known as 'middle ground'. A south east wind can make the area kinda snotty though..
Old 04-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Striper Hunter

Thanks J for the info.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:29 PM
We'er like seven elevan; we may not be doing business but we'er always open.

What do you want to know guy? I live in Beverly near Kernwood bridge so I know these waters fairly well. Holes and what not....
Old 04-05-2012, 01:30 AM
Striper Hunter

Thanks for the response snowrider. Guess Im looking for a places a newbie can stay out of much trouble. At this point I havnt really had a kayak in a lake other then a couple sit on tops out at camp that the kids play with. By the time I get down for the shoot out I hope to have several months of atleast once a week practice on out harbors up this way. I have all the cold WATER gear. Wet top, neopreme waders ( 5mm waders 3mm top.) semidry top and a good life vest set up at a paddle shop.

How is the current on the tides down there? If I stay up in the harbor and along the inside edge of marble head and crossing from the campgrounds to marblehead? How is it up into the bridges in the harbor behind where the camp grounds are?

Plans are to troll a tube and worm may be catch some mackeral and drift maybe troll some crank baits. I wont be doing any night fishing so that isnt an issue.

I will be extra cautious being my first year. jkean suggested "middleground" but said to watch the wind. I am assuming that is the islands off the NW of MarbleHead????

I will have extra clothes and a small shelter if I get caught but it helps if I can get to some island or something to use it..lol

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:52 PM

I don't know that part very well. I do know the Beverly side. If you want to explore some safe waters try the rivers past Kernwood bridge. That river spits into three rivers, Crane, waters and porter rivers which are a good start. Just be carefull of the wake from the boats.
Try that tube and worm with some kind of teaser. Say a small lure so it like like something is chasing the tube.
A little bird told me that a spinner lure works great over there while trolling. You can make them custom with 3 spinners and some beads.
Just be carefull of low tide in those rivers cause some of them become all mud and you can get stuck.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sa...ed=0CCcQ8gEwAA
Old 04-05-2012, 05:58 PM

Google map that other side of the harbahh. The satellite view is great for looking for spots to fish
Old 04-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Striper Hunter

Thanks for the info snow. I will check out the sat's when i get a real puter infront of me other then my phone. Thanks again.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:45 AM
Striper Hunter

I started looking at this from the air and saw all theae lil white dots. The closer i got the more i can see their boats. A CRAZY number of boats!!!! I cant believe the number of boats. Nobody can say the economy is bad looking at this. Lol...yup i see the 3 rivers where your talking about and think I could handle that. Guess plan would be work my way up there on the incoming tide and ride the tide back out? Try not to get hit by any boats i guess.

I will look at this more. Thanks this is good.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:56 PM

There is a boat ramp right next to Kernwood bridge; Salem side.
They prob make you pay for parking.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Im a noob.

Keep in mind to that it is about a 40 minute paddle to get to the islands from the camground. And that isn't a leisurely paddle either. Not saying its too tough or anything, just giving you an idea of what to expect.