post your vintage surf rod / reel pics! - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:46 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Default Re: post your vintage surf rod / reel pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
i am not gonna blow up this thread! no no no!
im sure you can find something else to blow...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2007, 09:56 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

you have a sister? damn! all it took was a googin to bait me into it.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:01 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
you have a sister? damn! all it took was a googin to bait me into it.
...i had no choice..you set yourself up zim..besides..its been a while since we had some fun..although, this is a very interesting thread so far..and i would love to see some more classic stuff..that being said..ill stop here...
Old 10-12-2007, 11:20 PM
Official Member

!!!!!!nice piece Scone - do you use that rod?
Old 10-13-2007, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scone
old rod i found sirca 1890
not a great photographer
Mike 1890?
Old 10-15-2007, 08:06 PM
First Mate

no tiger i don't use it.
i have been tryin to track down the maker, possibly h.l. leonard out of maine
yes around 1890 is the best info i have so far
Old 10-13-2012, 02:20 PM
Official Member

This is a Vintage Penn Reel. I cannot find another other like it after 4 hrs on ebay ,the web, vintage reel sights and so on.It has brass outer rings and brass cross bars the hold the two sides together. there is a very small stamp 3/4 of an inch or so from the crank shaft in the shape of a small dimple with the inscription that I think says "1real"
Those are the only markings I can find except for the Penn Logo that reads from top to bottom "Fishing Tackle Mfg Co. ...Penn Senator Patented Philadelphia Pa.
Any fishing enthusiast or vintage fishing gear buffs out there have some time to take a shot at finding out the the Penn model name or number? Any help will be deeply appriciated. Thanks "Rob Bachlet" on facebook
Old 06-15-2014, 10:52 PM
Official Member

Hi guys, I recently purchased an older surf rod and am looking to find out a little about it. The rod is a 9 foot rod made by a company called Uslan Custom Rod It has a model @ 21087 and it is written that it was custom built for "Lake's Surf Sport Shop Lynn" does anyone have any information on either the builder or the shop it was built for? The rod has 7 eyelits on it and is a light brown blank with yellow and grey wrappings. Any info would be great.
There is one more marking on it but it is not real clear to read I believe it to be 6FST6 but can't be sure. Thanks in advance for any info
Old 06-16-2014, 11:20 AM
First Mate

Uslan Rod Company

The 1940's and 50's saw high quality Penta bamboo rods produced by Nathanial (Nat) Uslan, renowned as the major innovator with five-sided bamboo fly rods. He claimed his rods were inherently stronger than traditional six-sided bamboo rods since there was no continuous glue line through the cross-section of the rods and the stress from flexing was transferred more directly to the bamboo itself.

Shortly after World War II, Nat Uslan set up shop in Spring Valley, New York and began producing five-strip fly rods. The business prospered and five-sided rods were very popular for a brief period of time, due probably in part to their novelty. During the 1950's the situation in China created an embargo on Tonkin cane. Uslan was one of the first major rod companies to be affected by the shortage of raw cane. He struggled along for a number of years but eventually the company succumbed to a federal tax auction. Uslan produced two distinct series of five-strip rods; the Deluxe model with a resin impregnation finish, and the Spencer model with a traditional varnish finish. Both series were produced in two-piece and three-piece versions, ranging in length from seven to nine feet. Because of the limited supply of Uslan rods, their value has remained relatively high on the collector market.

And the Uslan story has a southern connection. As mentioned, the Uslan Rod Company didnít survive the cane embargo and the advent of fiberglass rods, and much of the surviving content of the uslan rod building enterprise eventually found its way to Tennessee, where well known rod maker James Beasley now uses it. One machine obtained by Mr Beasely stands out from all the others; a strange looking machine that runs the length of his shop. It is the custom rod-making mill created by Nat Uslan. Mr Beasly stated that it took him two years to get the mill figured out as it came without any instructions.