Brinkmans Philadelphia and Eastern Pa. area Fishing report - Page 5 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Delaware River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Delaware River A Forum for The Delaware River guys.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Brinkmans Philadelphia and Eastern Pa. area Fishing report

Brinkmans Bait and Tackle
Linden Ave
Philadelphia Pa.
Friday April 16, 2010

SLOT STRIPERS ARE NOW OPEN ON THE DELAWARE RIVER FOR PENNSYLVANIA LICENCE HOLDERS. THE LIMIT IS 2 FISH 20 TO 26 INCHES. TROUT SEASON OPENS IN THIS AREA THIS SATURDAY!!

Another fantastic weekend and week following. We did have a little rain on Monday but all that did was stain up the river a bit. But for the creeks they are all in great shape and most guys have been still catching plenty of trout. The Wissahickon was re-stocked on Wednesday and the Pennypack was re-stocked on Thursday. Both streams were suppose to get between 1800 and 3200 trout. Even before the put more fish in the creeks both the Wissahickon and Pennypack have been very good for most trout fisherman. Main baits the past week have been meal worms, wax worms, power baits, salted minnows and corn. The best lures have been spinners, trout magnets, power trout worms, spoons and jigs. For Allen fishing right off Woodward Avenue on Tuesday a 5 fish limit came in less than 2 hours. He was fishing the deeper with spinners. He said there was 5 more guys fishing the same hole and all had their limits. Most of those guys were fishing bait. Several guys have told me Welsh Road has been fished out a bit but they are still able to catch 3 to 10 fish each trip down. Now up at Pine Road a couple fisherman had 15 fish on Wednesday all with wax worms. They had several fish between 12 and 16 inches. A nice big rainbow came out of the water at Veree Road over the weekend. This fish was about 20 inches close to 5 pounds. This fisherman picked this fish up with a Panther Martin. Another really nice fish was taken further up the creek at Lamuer Park. This section of the creek was re-stocked last week and they seemed to put some really nice fish in. This fish I saw a picture of was 21 inches 5.8 pounds. He caught this fish with rainbow power baits. Several other guys fished this section of the creek over the weekend and all said the fishing was great. Most of these fish were 12 to 15 inch with good girth. A couple report back from the Wissahickon with all good results. All these guys said after the stocking the fishing really picked up. Jimmy was down early Thursday morning picking up over 20 fish in a couple hours. He said the fish started out hitting corn and switched over to meal worms and power bait as the morning went on. Another fisherman was over before the stocking catching 9 fish with power bait eggs and spinners. Core Creek is still one of the slow spots for trout. This is a lake that is more prone for bluegills, crappies, perch and bass. But some guys do catch trout here and there. Tom was up fishing by the bridge catching 3 rainbow with marshmallow tipped with wax worms. He also picked up 2 largemouth bass and 4 bluegills with small minnows and twister tails. Jay has been fishing by the dam catching all the panfish and bass with minnows and wax worms. He said down in this section no trout have been caught. Now Levittown Lake was re-stocked on Saturday and everyone I know that has been heading up this was has been doing great on trout. Jim was up a couple time catching any where between 8 and 15 trout each trip. He said the fish have been hitting power bait fished with wax worms or meal worms on the same hook. They have also been hitting black and white spinners. A couple other fisherman have been doing really good catching their limits each afternoon on this lake. They have been going up around 4 and staying till dark to catch their 5 fish. These guys have been fishing meal worms, wax worms and minnows. The last spot for trout that I have heard about was the Neshaminy Creek at Tyler State Park. These guys have been catching fish but no big numbers. They said these fish are a bit smaller than the Pennypack but they are catching good numbers of bluegills, rock bass and smallmouth mixed in. Spinners have been working the best with fish hitting minnows, jigs and meal worms.
Stripers have been the next best thing to fish for. I even got out for the first time for a couple hours Wednesday afternoon. Helen and myself headed out with some bloodworms, clams and frozen herring. We anchored in front of the Rancocas creek and within 20 minutes picked up the first striper just 20 inches. After fishing for several hours we ended the day with 2 more stripers on 19 inch and the other 15 inches. We also picked up 1 white perch. All the fish were caught on bloodworms. With in the group of boat around us there was a few more stripers taken. One boat picked up a 29 inch fish and one smaller both on bloodworms. Another boat picked up a fish that was under 15 inches and the last boat I talked to caught 4 fish total from 12 to 19 inches. John was out a couple times this week again only catching white perch. On Wednesday he fished from the Tacony up to the Rancocas without a striper or catfish. Two other guys I talked to at the ramp also were out most of the day not catching a striper. Now over the weekend and several other evening they have been having great catches of bigger stripers down right below the Tacony Bridge. These guys are fishing the beach right in front of the Nature Center down river close to a mile. Here I seen several pictures of stripers up to 39 inches. Most of the fish in the pictures were 28 to 38 inches. They have been catching most of these fish on clams and bloodworms. Jim has been out several times this week having slow trips with perch eating up his bait. He did pick up some smaller fish with bloodworms but over all during the week the perch took most of his bait. Several guys fishing Station Avenue said the fishing here slowed up a bit but they have still caught several slot fish this past week. Again bloodworms have been the hot bait. Some guys have been catching herring up off Station Avenue but only a few good run off have happened with the fresh bait. At Princeton Avenue they have still been catching some stripers from 18 inch's up to 29 inches. Here again bloodworms have been the only bait working. Jerry this week had a few fish 18 to 24 inch's fishing several nights. At Camer Street I did see a picture of a nice fish that the customer said was 43 inches. This fish had to weigh about 30 pounds. He said the night bite here has been very good with most guys catching a couple fish each trip. Even the Frankford Arsenal has picked up for stripers. One customer Saturday morning picked up a nice 36 inch striper with 4 catfish. He was catching the stripers on bloodworms with the catfish hitting chicken livers. Now for the best striper fishing this past week Trenton has been the hot spot. If you are taking your boat up to Mercer County ramp they are telling me there is a 24/7 guard now and you will be paying the $25.00 ramp fee for Pennsylvania residents. J. R. and Karl were up early in the week catching a limit of herring in several hours but did pick up all the shad they wanted. But fishing the herring they did pick up several stripers on big fish 42 inches. All these fish were picked up between the bridges. J.R. was back up again Tuesday night saying the herring were hard to catch but what bait he had caught him several stripers 30 to 36 inches. Several other guys have been up herring fishing and most guys are able to catch some fish for bait. Now the main run is not happening as of yet. For shad it seems to be one of the best years in the Trenton area with guys catching plenty of fish with darts, spoons and on sabiki rigs. Further up river at Yardley things have still been quite slow but a bit further at Washington's Crossing the shad fishing has been very good. These guys have been fishing right under the bridge with shad spoons catching plenty of fish 3 to 6 pounds. No real big row fish have moved in yet but it only be a week or so for them to show up. Now the next spot I have gotten report of shad has been at the Delaware Water Gap. Kevin has been fishing the past couple weekends doing the best in many years. Last weekend he said most guys were catching 20 to 40 fish each afternoon. Small shad spoons and smaller shad darts are working the best up there.
Now with all the trout and striper fishing there have been very few other reports coming in. Saltwater has been really slow with allot of stripers in the Delaware Bay the past couple weeks but this past week things have really shut down. I talked to several guys that were down to Fortasque only catching some smaller stripers with bloodworms. A few guys were down to Cape May point also catching a few smaller stripers with clams and bloodworms. Up at Corson's Inlet a customer picked up a couple keeper stripers around the rocks with bucktails. He said there are also allot of smaller fish hitting bloodworms and clams. His couple fish were 29 and 31 inches. Fred has still been heading out 30 to 40 miles and catching limits of cod fish. He has been jigging some of these fish but clams have been working the best. Most of the cod he has caught are 15 to 25 pounds. The hot spot now has been up in the Raritan Bay. Several guys have been running out and netting and snagging bunker. With these bunker they have been heading up around the bridges catching stripers 25 to 45 pounds. Keith was one of our customers that took a guide trip and landed over 15 stripers and never had one under 20 pounds. His guide was showing him some pictures of fish taken in the past couple weeks of fish up to 45 pounds. All have been caught either on live bunker or bunker heads on a fish finder rig. One really big striper I heard of came from the Chesapeake Bay. This fish was taken on a live herring and weighted 69 pounds. This was taken by one of the guides that we use to get out frozen herring from. He was telling Bruce that they have been taking less stripers but much bigger fish. Now in freshwater crappies have been the next best thing to fish for. In Core Creek, Rohm Haas and Fairless Hills they have had good days on crappies. All these lakes they have been picking up fish with small minnows, meal worms, twister tails and small maribow jigs. Some monster crappies are still being caught in Penn Warner for the club members. On this lake also they have been catching pickerel, pike, largemouth and smallmouth bass. These fish have been hitting spinner baits, rattle traps, crankbaits, plastic worms and jigging spoons.
Well that is all I have time for this week. With all this sunshine I have been so busy that typing this report has been quite rough. Now we are not complaining about good business. I hope it keeps up till late into the fall. Good luck and good fishing.
Bill

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2010, 01:19 AM

Linden Ave
Philadelphia Pa.
Friday April 30, 2010

SLOT STRIPERS ARE NOW OPEN ON THE DELAWARE RIVER FOR PENNSYLVANIA LICENCE HOLDERS. THE LIMIT IS 2 FISH 20 TO 26 INCHES. TROUT SEASON OPENS IN THIS AREA THIS SATURDAY!!
I'm going to do the best of getting this report out completed but with this warm weekend coming in and all the stripers hitting in the river we have been so busy typing has been difficult. But I will try. Myself we headed to Trenton for herring early Tuesday morning. Should have stayed home. When I showed up at the ramp at 6 o'clock and there were no boats I knew there was a problem. Well the river was off color but not muddy. So I went to the marina and fished for an hours without a hit. Another boat said the day before they hit up at the bridges so I went up there. Now there were 4 boats fishing for herring and 2 hours later we had the only herring caught on the river. Anthony picked this fish up. Well several hours later there was not another fish taken. So we went up in the bridges and fished that one herring chunked up. Well we had a couple pick ups and one fished hook that was lost in the heavy current. So we went back down and jigged for herring about another hour and picked up number 2. Between the ramp fee and the gas to run up they were $25.00 herring each. Oh well. So back to Linden Avenue we went. By now the winds were blowing pretty hard but we caught the low tide coming in. Anchored up for a couple minutes we caught the first striper that was 36 inches. Then it was on. In a couple hour bite we landed two slot fish and 7 fish over the limit. One was a monster 44 inch 40 + pound fish. This was one of the biggest fish I have ever taken in the river. Length in was as big but the girth on this fish was fantastic. And the fight was the best. It took over 30 minutes to get this fish in the boat. Anthony biggest was a nice 35 inch fat fish. Well the next day I did not head up to Trenton and went right out here. Caught the tide just right but the conditions were horrible. The winds were up to 40 miles and hour and the river even got a bit more muddy. Well the best way to describe the day is that Helen may never fish we me again. We not only were cold, beat up and wet the trip home was enough to knock the fillings right out of your teeth. But we did but 3 slot fish in the boat with 2 other up to 36 inches. One perch and a catfish was the rest of the trip. All out fish were taken on herring on Tuesday and it was a mix of herring and bloodworms on Wednesday. Now on Tuesday night Jim picked up 21 stripers with only one slot fish, the rest being over the limit. He had fish up to 38 inches. All his fish were taken on herring. Pete was out on Wednesday fishing down around the Frankford Arsenal catching 20 stripers all with herring. He said again most all these fish were over the size limit. Now the biggest fish taken was off Station Avenue on Saturday that was over 50 pounds. This fish was caught with a live herring. Now I can go on and on about the stripers hitting but all I will be doing is repeating myself. Talking to guys at Trenton they are catching some fish up here but most of these fish have been 20 to 30 inches. The big fish are being caught from the Turnpike bridge down to Center City. Some of the better places to fish off shore have been Camer Street, Station Avenue, Princton Avenue, Frankford Arsenal, Nature Center right below the Tacony Bridge on the New Jersey side, behind the UPS building and off of Fort Mifland. The better places off the boats have been the Turnpike Bridge, Rancocas Creek, Tacony Bridge and Petty's Island.
Trout has still been the next best thing. The Pennypack creek did get a little high and muddy early in the week but Anthony went down on Monday and was still able to catch one brown trout with a white Rooster Tail. But over the weekend we talked to several guys that were fishing the Boulevard catching up to 8 trout with spinners, meal worms, wax worms and trout magnets. They were all telling me that there are still plenty of trout but now they are starting to pick up some smaller bass, bluegills and rock bass. They even had a big carp pick up a meal worm that was a little over 15 pounds. A few other guys have been fishing up at Pine Road telling me the holes south have been the best. They say you have to walk about a half mile but these water are seeing no pressure. These guys have picked up plenty of fish with corn, wax worms and power baits. Another great spot has been up at Lumpur Park. These guys have not only been catching good amounts of trout they have been catching some really nice fish. Dave was up on Saturday catching a 5 fish limit and did not have a trout on the stringer under 15 inches. He said there are allot of nice 15 to 20 inch trout still swimming around. Now the Pennypack will be restocked on Saturday. Levittown Lake has still been very good and the bite has still been in the afternoons. These guys are saying after the lake was restocked on Wednesday catching 5 to 10 trout a afternoon has been no problem. These fish have been hitting power baits, wax worms and metal spoons the best. Jim picked up several trout, 4 largemouth bass and 2 crappies just fishing a spinner along the shoreline on Thursday. Now the Wissahickon will be restocked next Thursday. Reports back from here have stopped. But I would think the fishing should be very good for the amount of guys that still head over there. Core Creek. Well for a trout report that is about all I can say about this lake. They are catching a few trout but over all I think the big walleyes and catfish are doing better on the trout then the trout fisherman. Rick was up on Friday last week catching 2 trout, 15 crappies and 4 largemouth bass. He has been fishing the upper end with meal worms, power baits, small jigs and plastic worms. Jay has still been fishing around the dam but all he has been catching is perch, bluegills and crappies. He said minnows, wax worms and trout magnets have been working the best. One other report from Core Creek was a customer out drifting in his kayak with small twister tails catching all the perch and bluegills you wanted. But nothing else.
Other than stripers on the Delaware River. Well the bass fishing has really picked up in Dredge Harbor, Salem Harbor, Tullytown Cove and Warner's Cove. Several boat fishing Dredge with plastics have been boating up to 10 bass a day. The fish have been held up right outside the creek in 8 to 15 feet of water. A few other report coming back from the pipes with these fish hitting nightcrawlers, plastic worms and crankbaits. Tullytown cove has been very good for largemouth bass but the crappies and perch have also been hitting very good. The bass have been hitting plastic worms, rattle traps and crankbaits. The small fish have been hitting small tubes and jigs the best. One fisherman was in Salem Harbor catching 7 largemouth bass up to 3 pound fishing plastic lizards. He said the fish are along the shoreline and between the docks and rocks. A few guys have been catching bass and suckers up in the Poquessing Creek. These fish have been hitting nightcrawlers the best. Rick was out one day on the lower river picking up 4 largemouth bass and 8 catfish. He is fishing the rocks just above Princeton Avenue. Crankbaits have been working the best. The upper river has still been very good for shad but most of the better reports are coming from the Water Gap and above. Kevin has still been doing real good with small spoons and small shad darts fishing the evening right below the 80 bridge. He said there are good numbers of fish and fish are being caught up to 7 pounds. Small has been the answer for most fisherman up here. At Narrowsburg the same holds true. These guys are fishing below the bridge with number 0 shad spoons in chartreuse, orange and pink. Dead sticking has been working the best. Now up at Callicoon I talked to one customer that picked up 11 shad on Friday and 27 on Saturday. He has been doing best trolling 1/24 and 1/16 ounce shad darts. Now the smallmouth bass are staring to pick up and some bigger fish are being caught. Tom told me fishing with crankbaits between the Stockton Bridge south to the next rip has been fantastic for smallmouth bass and walleyes. He has been doing best trolling the crankbaits up stream to catch the walleyes and drifting downstream throwing the crankbaits along the shoreline for the smallies. Last week he has smallmouth bass up to 19 1/2 inches and walleyes up to 21 inches. He said Rapala's and Yozuri crankbaits have been working the best. Now Charlie fishing the mouth of the Tohickon had a couple good days over the weekend before the rains came. He said after Sunday the fish just dropped off. But on Friday he caught 4 smallmouth bass 12, 14 ,16 and 18 inches. He also caught 3 walleyes up to 6 pounds. He found the Wiggle Warts working the best but also picked up a few fish with live shiners and nightcrawlers. He also has still been doing very good up the creek catching smallmouth bass up to 15 inches with all the rock bass and big bluegills you want with 3 to 5 inch grubs.
Other spots in the area. Noxamixion has really picked up for several different fisherman. John had a great day on Saturday fishing plastic worms and top water lures. He was fishing with his wife and between the two of them they boated 27 largemouth bass, 4 pickerel and 1 hybrid striper. He did pick up several fish with 4 and 6 inch Culprit worms but found buzz baits the hottest. He said not only good numbers he also had 4 bass over 4 pounds with the hybrid weighing in at 11 pounds. He talked to several other fisherman on the lake and most were all catching fish. One bank fisherman that was fishing off the docks right by the boat ramp caught 2 bass both 16 inches and also had a bucket full of nice yellow perch that he picked up with small minnows. Several guys fishing below the dam at night have been catching 14 to 19 inch walleyes with plastic shads, minnows and spoons. Fall's Township has also picked up for largemouth bass, pickerel, crappies and bluegills. Fishing the shorelines with either minnows, wax worms, meal worms or earthworms under a bobber will land you plenty of bluegills, crappies and even a largemouth bass here and there. Jim has been fishing allot of plastics catching 4 to 8 bass a day. He said this past week the fishing has been very good but the fish have been on the smaller side. Alex was out fishing off a boat with bigger spinners looking for a nice musky only landing 1 largemouth bass close to 5 pounds and also picked up 8 pickerel all in the 18 inch range. Rohm Haas has still been very good for largemouth bass. These guys are throwing allot of spinner baits, plastic worms and rattle traps. Now they are not catching the real big fish but number have been up to 4 fish a day. Burlington Island lake a fisherman pulled his boat over the bank and fished doing very good with largemouth bass. He said fishing and crankbaits in bright colors brought him over 15 largemouth bass all in the 2 pound range. The Neshaminy Creek in the Hulmeville section has been very good for carp, catfish and largemouth bass. These guys have been fishing corn to catch the catfish and carp with most of the bass hitting minnows, spinner baits, plastic worms and real worms. They said there are some really big carp swimming around 20 to 30 pounds. And fishing the lower Pennypack Creek has been very good for some bigger carp between State Road and the river. These guys have accessing this section of the creek off Rhawn Street park and have been fishing with corn, corn meal, bagels and sweet carp baits. They have landed carp up to 30 pounds in this section of the creek. They have also picked up allot of catfish and smaller stripers with nightcrawlers and chicken livers. Penn Warner has still ben very good for the club members. Largemouth bass are starting to bed up and have been slamming jigs, spinner baits and plastic worms. They have been catching some largemouth bass up to 6 pounds. And with these fish they have been catching some big pickerel and some monster northern pike. Barry was up throwing one ounce spinner baits one afternoon catching a pike that was 45 inches that weighed about 28 pounds. He also picked up some nice largemouth bass fishing deeper water with big spinner baits.
South Jersey lakes have been smoking hot for largemouth bass, crappies, pickerel and yellow perch. Several guys have been down fishing Union and all are saying the fishing has been the best in years. One customer had pictures of catfish up to 8 pounds, largemouth bass up to 4 pounds, crappies up to 2 pound and even picked up a nice brown trout over 2 pounds. The most fish he caught were crappies and he picked these fish up drifting live minnows. The fish he kept were all between 14 and 16 inches. John who is down this lake every weekend had a great week for largemouth bass. He stayed and fished the islands with plastic worms and spinner baits catching over 25 bass on Saturday and had fish over 5 pounds. With these bass he also picked up several bluegills and lots of pickerel. He said even the pickerel were all good size with the biggest 21 inches. Joe has been down fishing several of the smaller lakes off Route 50 saying each trip down he has been doing well with pickerel, bass and crappies. He has been throwing Rebel minnows catching all these fish. Lake Lenape for Richie was really good all last week with catches of largemouth bass up to 4 pounds with numbers over 10 fish each day. He has also caught all the pickerel you wanted fishing with plastic worms, lizards, Rapala's shad raps and spinner baits. Now down below the dam the herring are there in great numbers. They are catching these fish with Sabiki rigs but most guys are either snagging or throw netting their limits. Now here be real careful with the wardens checking most of these guys each time down. Fines are pretty stiff if you do get caught. Down around Sweetwater the pickerel fishing has been really good in the Mullica river and all the lake that feed into the river. Guys have been doing great with live minnows, Rapala's, spinners and twister tails.
Down the shore was not good for the boat fisherman all week. With the big storms early and the winds that have followed not many boats got out. The clams boats did get out since we did get out supply of fresh clams on Thursday. Now off the beach the fishing has been really good all week long up north. Russ has been up off Sandy Hook having some good days on bigger bluefish with keeper size stripers. Clams have been the main bait for him. John has also been fishing the beaches of Sandy Hook and the past week came home with a two fish limit each trip. Again he has been fishing fresh clams. The biggest fish he took was 36 inches about 18 pounds. Now off Long Beach Island they have caught a few stripers but these beaches are full of big bluefish. These guys have been catching these fish with clams, cut mackerel, cut herring and metal spoons. These bluefish have been running from 6 to 14 pounds. Guys fishing off the beaches of Brick are catching both stripers and bluefish but the fish here have been much smaller. All the striper are just under the 28 inch limit and the bluefish have been 3 to 6 pounds. Now a few guys did get out around Sea Isle but said here the fishing has been very slow. A striper here and there and fishing the jetties they have been catching some smaller sea bass and blackfish. And up the Delaware Bay off Reed's Beach they did pick up a few stripers fishing with fresh herring, strip shad and clams. These bass have been 24 to 30 inches. There are a few drum fish showing up in the Delaware Bay but the big run is coming on the next full moon. Fred told me he was heading out for cod several times this week but the winds kept him close to home. He did fish the back bay of Sea Isle to run the boat catching a few keeper stripers with clams, Fin S fish and Sebile herring plugs. The biggest he picked up was 31 inches.
Well that is all I have time for this week. I hope for more report when I get home and check my e-mails. Good luck and enjoy this summer weekend coming up.
Bill
FISHING REPORTS
4-27- Tough couple days out on the river. I was talking to you at the ramp on Tuesday and went over to the creek and did pretty good. The bloodworms you gave us worked great catching stripers and white perch. We took a couple of the white perch and dritfted them around with no luck. But thanks again for the bloodworms. The count was 9 white perch and 4 stripers. The stripers ranged all under 25 inches. Terry and Karen
4-26- Sitting here at my desk thinking about a great week we had at Beltsville Lake. We spent the whole week camping and fished every day. Smallmouth bass were on the bite in 20 feet of water on the road bed leading towards the dam. We were fishing drop shot rigs with senko worms, trick worms and slug o's. Soem really big fish were caught. My biggest was about 6 pounds that measured 22 inches and was nice and fat. We also had some good shore lunches of walleyes that were were catching with live minnows, leeches and helgermites. We caught these fish on the bottom with a weedless jig head. There was allot of traffic on Satuday with the good weather and that kind of shut fishing off but our best day was Sunday beffore the storm front moved in. This day we found a big pocket of yellow perch and they were hitting small motor oil grubs. Some of these perch were close to 2 pounds but we put most of the big ones back due to the spawn. But a good cooler of fish are waiting to be cleaned when I get home. Bob
4-25-Picked my Sabiki rigs at your place Sat morning…dropped in my boat about 8:30 Sat morning at Trenton after paying the $25 ramp fee. I quickly counted about 40 boats out there. Took us no time to limit out on Herring, caught 2 at a time several times. Was surprised we were able to boat a nice big Shad on Sabiki Rig without a net. Fun Day….kids loved it. My son even caught 2 at a time on his Sponge Bob pole. I had bought several styles of sabiki rigs however it did not matter as the bite was on.
4-25- The fishing down the river at the Betsy Ross bridge has been really good for the past couple days. Fishing frozen herring and the salted clams has brought our boat lots of fish for the BBQ. Tuesday we caught 11 stripers and had 5 keepers. The next day all the fish were over 28 inches, not a keeper in the lot. But Friday we did best. We not only caught our 6 fish limit we also put 3 fish in the boat over 30 pounds. What a day. Other than stripers we have been catching allot of catfish and eels. These guys are just a pain when the big stripers are around. Pete
4-24- Stripers still hitting real good at the rancocass. I was over this morning and picked up fish with bloodworms, clams and herring. We landed over 20 fish from 22 inches all the way up to 38 inches. There were some bigger fish caught around us but these guys were fishing live herring. One fish was 41inches had to be in the 35 pound range. Gerry
4-24- Herring bite was on today. Had to be over 100 boats fishing the Trenton wall and everyone caught limits. We fished for less than and hour to put our 50 fish limit in the boat. Then we went down and fished boye 80 and caught some really big catfish but no stripers. Seemed all the other boats were heading down further so we followed down to the Turnpike bridge. Well that was were the stripers were. With live herring we caught 9 stripers up to 42 inches. With chunk herring we caught 18 more but the biggest was only 32 inches. We also picked up 19 more catfish. The biggest catfish was 9 pounds.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:04 PM

Linden Ave
Philadelphia Pa.
Friday May 14, 2010

Another fantastic week on the Delaware River for myself and fishing partners. Tuesday we headed out a little late with frozen herring and bloodworms to catch a couple stripers and catfish. Next to us a good customer was just killing the stripers with fresh herring. He called us over and gave us 4 fresh baits and then the bite was on. We ended the day with 15 stripers and 6 catfish with several fish in the slot limit. That day our biggest fish was 29 inches. We also had a catfish that was over 12 pounds. Now Kenny who gave us the herring boated 30 stripers and lots of catfish. He had his 6 fish limit and was just throwing fish after fish back in the slot size. Nothing big. John was also out fishing with frozen herring catching 6 catfish before I even got out but then things slowed up for him. On Wednesday I took my nephew up to Trenton. The weather sucked but the herring bite was very good. It took us about a half hour to catch out limit. So back down river we came and anchored up in about the same spot to have one of the best days I have had in years. We ended the day with 40 stripers and about 15 catfish. The stripers were 12 to 27 inches. Most every fish were slot size fish. John was also out next to us and he had 15 stripers and lots of catfish. And I just talked to Kenny who is back out again today landing 3 stripers over 30 inches. He said the herring bite was still real good Thursday morning. Now if things stick to schedule we should have about 1 to 2 more weeks of herring fishing. Now talking to several other striper fisherman this was a great week for most everyone. One customer was above the Tacony Bridge on Tuesday catching 25 stripers up to 31 inches. He picked up these fish with bloodworms and herring. Frank has been down fishing below the Betsy Ross bridge with clams and herring catching over 100 fish this past week. Now he said one day you catch all slot fish with good numbers and the next day you only pick up 15 fish but get better fish. He said most of the biggest catfish have been coming on fresh clams. On Monday Lenny was up fish at the Turnpike bridge picking up 20 stripers with fish up to 29 inches. He picked up all these fish with fresh herring. Now several of the fisherman up at Trenton told me the fishing between the bridges has been fair with most guys catching between 5 and 8 fish a day with most fish 24 to 31 inches. Most all these fish are being picked up on live herring. Now Tom has been plugging before light and a couple hours after the sun comes up catching 3 to 5 fish each drift down the river. He has been catching most fish 20 to 30 inches. Last week he did have a couple fish over 36 inches. The best plugs have been black Bombers, striper swipers and pencil poppers. Off the beaches at Station Avenue they have been catching allot of stripers with chunk herring with most of the fish under 28 inches. But fishing live herring they have picked up fish this past week up to 30 pounds. The biggest was 38 inches 32 pounds. These guys have also been fishing Camer Drive with live herring catching fish up to 20 pounds. Off Rhawn Street they have been catching allot of stripers but here they have all been quite small. They guys have been using bloodworms and shrimp catching stripers up to 17 inches and catfish up to 5 pounds. Linden Avenue was real good for one fisherman on Monday catching 11 stripers 15 to 23 inches. He also caught 5 catfish up to 6 pounds. On Tuesday he did not have a bite. Wednesday he was back to catch 3 stripers and one catfish. All his fish were caught on herring and clams. All the guys down fishing around the airport have been doing very good with bloodworms, sandworms, clams and herring. The better places have been National Park, Fort Mifland and behind the UPS building. Now talking to a few guys that have fishing down below say there are allot of stripers but most of the fish have been under 28 inches. They have been doing best with bloodworms and clams. But down here they have been catching some of the biggest catfish in the area. A few tournament last week brought allot of catfish 10 to18 pounds. Most of these giant catfish are being caught with herring, chicken livers and live eels.
Other fishing on the Delaware river all have been very good. The largemouth bass fishing on the lower river has been picking up each week. Rick was down river two different days this past week catching up to 12 fish each trip. He is also picking up allot of catfish and even hook several stripers this past week. This week he said the crankbaits and rattle traps are still working well but jigging metal worked in some of the deeper water for bigger largemouth bass up to 4 pounds. This is where he also picked up the stripers and they were up to 8 pounds. Charlie and his son were out on Monday afternoon fishing in Dredge Harbor catching over 20 largemouth bass. He did his best with plastic worms but said most of the bass were under a pound. He also picked up several perch and crappies with the plastic worms. A few guys have been catching a few bass up in the Neshaminy Marina off the shoreline fishing with minnows, nightcrawlers and spinner baits. Up above Trenton the shad fishing has dropped off until you get up to the Water Gap and above. There are still a few guys fishing Yardley and Washington's Crossing with shad spoons catching 1 to 3 fish each afternoon. Now up at the Water Gap kevin has just been killing shad 3 to 6 pounds with small white and chartreuse shad darts in 1/64 ounce and 1/16 ounce sizes. He has also caught allot of fish with small shad spoons. The spoons have been working best while dead sticking while the darts are best for trolling. Now several guys have been doing as well at Narrowsburg, Callicoon, Long Eddy and Hancock. Now these places the bite has been strictly at night and they are not catching quite as many as down by the Gap. Smallmouth bass fishing has really started to pick up in the Lamberville section of the river. These guys have been fishing minnows drifting down the river. On average they have been catching 10 to 20 smallies each trip up with a walleye here and there. Some big catfish are also being picked up drifting minnows down the upper river. Charlie has been back to the Point Pleasant section several times this past week catching bass each trip. He said bait has been working better than lures but if you are going to throw artificial's spinners, spinner baits and grubs have been working the best for him. He said there are some really nice fat 14 to 17 inch bass being caught. Another customer was out fishing at Bull's Island last Saturday catching 5 smallmouth bass and a bunch of perch with live minnows.
Now next to the Delaware some good fishing has still been going on in the Pennypack Creek. Plenty of trout are still hitting around Welsh Road, Rhawn Street, Roosevelt Boulevard, Krewstown Road, Veree Road and Pine Road. These spots have been holding plenty of rainbow trout and most of the fish are being caught with earthworms, meal worms, wax worms, salted minnows, power baits, spinners and jigs. On average I would say most guys have been catching 2 to 8 fish per trip. Now a little further up the creek around Lemur Park they have been doing good with trout but are also catching allot of smallmouth bass, rock bass and big bluegills. Here they have been doing best with spinners, trout magnets and wax worms. Here they have been catching allot of trout over 14 inches. The Schuylkill River has picked up this past week above the Fairmount Dam. These guys I have talked to are fishing around Flat Rock Dam catching plenty of smallies, catfish and carp. They have been catching the bass and catfish with minnows with the carp hitting bread and corn the best. Further up the river Ron was fishing around Norristown catching some bass and bluegills with twister tails and spinners. He said the fishing has been great with most days out landing over 20 fish. His biggest smallmouth of the year was a 19 inch 3 pound fish. He has also caught a few big catfish 8 to 10 pounds with chicken and beef livers. He also has been back over to Roosevelt Lake looking for snakehead without any luck. He has picked up a few largemouth bass and crappies fishing plugs and spinner baits around the lake. Lots of reports back from Fairless Hills lake with most guys talking up crappies and bluegills hitting minnows, meal worms and earthworms around the shoreline. But Jim has still been doing very good on largemouth bass up to 4 pounds this past week. Another customer showed me a couple pictures of bass over 5 pound caught out of this lake over last weekend. He was fishing jigs in deep water. Noxamixion has still been very good for the few guys I have been talking to. John again picked up 17 largemouth bass on Saturday last weekend. He was back out on Sunday to get chased off by a thunder storm early in the morning. Before he left he had landed 4 bass. He said most of the bass he has been catching are 13 to 17 inches with his biggest last week at 19 1/2 inches. He has been picking up most of these fish with suspended crankbaits and jigging spinner baits along the ledges. Several guys fishing Penn Warner have been doing very good on big largemouth bass, pike and crappies. The crappies are being caught in the back with shiners, minnows and grubs. One customer told me that most of the fish he has been catching have been 12 to 16 inches. The pike are being caught with big minnows, shiners, golden shiners and gizzard shad. These guys have been fishing the largest baits under a bobber outside in up coming weed lines. And the largemouth bass have been hitting plastic worms, lizards, spinner baits, rattle traps, crankbaits and jigging spoons. The Neshaminy Creek has been picking up for smallmouth bass around the Tyler State Park and Playwicky Park areas. These guys have been fishing minnows and also throwing grubs, shallow crankbaits and torpedo's. And the Perkiomen has also picked up for smallmouth bass. Here they are now catching up to 50 fish a trip with a mix of bass, rock bass and bluegills. Minnows are still the best baits but they are also doing very good on Rebel crickhopper and crayfish, grubs, tubes, torpedo's and hellgrammite imitations. Up in the Poquessing they are still catching a few bass by the old pipe. This customer has been up throwing plastic worms and Rapala's to catch the 2 and 3 pound bass. He said they are up here spawning. I had a customer back from Springton Reservoir telling me that the bass fishing was off but did very good on perch and crappies. He went out looking for bass with lures but after several hours and only one fish he started to thrown small grubs under a float and landed 17 yellow perch and 9 crappies. He said all these were good size fish. The guys heading down to Union are still doing great on pickerel, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, yellow perch, bluegills and crappies. John himself has been targeting bass fishing with plastic worms, lizards, brush hogs and buzz baits. Now he has been catching 10 to 15 bass a trip with a mix of 10 to 20 pickerel each trip. He said no big bass this year but said the mix of smallies and largemouth has been good. A few guys were up trout fishing in Amwell Lake only catching largemouth bass and pickerel. They were fishing with small minnows, meal worms and power baits and only picked up the bass and pickerel with the minnows. They did throw allot of spinners but had no luck. The customer that goes to Spruce Run had a couple good days over the week catching some nice bass, crappies and even had one hybrid striper. He has been catching the bass and crappies with live minnows and landed the striper with a Zara Spook. Olympic lake off 130 was real good this past week for Rich who picked up a 5 pound largemouth bass with several other fish 2 to 4 pounds. He has also picked up allot of 18 inch pickerel with minnows. The last lake in Jersey was Mercer county lake. This lake has been producing some big largemouth bass fishing with big shiners, minnows and suckers. I seen a few pictures of bass over 6 pounds taken in the past couple weeks. A trout report from Jersey comes from the Pequest Creek up off Route 46. This customer picked up 4 rainbows and a small palomino trout last Saturday. He said most of the fish were hitting spinners, salted minnows and wax worms. He said there were other fisherman doing real good fishing dry flies. The Susquehanna flats have still been great for stripers. Now the season has closed so you are not suppose to target stripers even know several guys have still been heading down. They have been catching fish up to 40 pound the past month. Up in the Susquehanna River the smallmouth bass fishing has started to pick up for bigger fish. They have been doing best with spinner baits, Rapala shad raps, Zoom grubs, power grubs and tubes. Up at John's place they have been catching allot of bass 3 to 5 pounds along the island. He said they are getting ready to spawn and are full of row. Another customer was up turkey hunting getting his bird early so he headed down to the Susquehanna River and waded the shoreline with twister tails catching 20 smallmouth bass up to 16 inches. He said he had more fun doing that then the turkey hunting.
Some of the best saltwater reports are coming from north jersey for stripers and bluefish. Sandy Hook has been great for the beach fisherman catching both of these species. Russ has been up throwing plugs and also bait fishing with fresh clams. The stripers have been hitting metal diamond jigs and Deadly Dicks the best for lures and clams if you just want to bottom fish. The bluefish have been also hitting the metal but also have been caught with mullet and cut mackerel. Down off Long Beach Island John spent a couple nights out throwing black Bombers, poppers and shad catching 5 stripers. He said they have all been keepers but just keepers. The biggest was 29 3/4 inches. Now out in the boats they have been crushing the stripers with big spoons. They have been doing real good around the Shrewsbury Rocks catching stripers 15 to 40 pounds. Metal has been the answer and if you can find 5 and 7 ounce Krocodile spoons they are worth their weight in gold right now. Further down the coast there has been several guys catching smaller stripers in the Brick section. These guys have been out fishing the beaches with clams, eels and fresh herring. Most of these bass have been 8 to 15 pounds. Keith was out of Barnagate over the weekend catching 9 stripers, 16 blues and 2 monster flounder. He was drifting for bass with eels and bunker to catch all these fish. He said it really hurt to put back the flounder that were 24 and 27 inches. Both these fish were caught with live eels. Fred out of Sea Isle did well this week on inshore sea bass and blackfish. He fished some of his wreaks picking up the sea bass inside 2 miles then came back and hit the jetties for a limit of 2 to 4 pound blackfish. He said clams were working best for the sea bass with green crabs for blackfish. Alex has been fishing down in Virginia on a couple head boat catching some of the biggest blackfish around. Last week he said most of the fish were on the smaller side 8 to 13 pounds. But in past weeks they have brought in fish 14 to 18 pounds. Down at Cape May point I talked to a few guys that were out looking for drumfish off the beach but had no luck. They said there were a few weakfish taken with bucktails on the jetties but fishing big chunks of clams brought them no luck. But out in the bay the drum fishing is starting to pick up. Several guys were out during the week catching drumfish up to 40 pounds. Now it seems like the big fish have not gotten into the bay yet. They are also doing quite well on stripers at the rips and up the bay. Fishing with clams, bunker heads, chunk bunker, herring and eels has brought limits of 20 to 30 pound fish. Up in Massachusetts they have been catching some monster porgies on the head boats. These guys are just fishing top and bottom rigs with clams, squid and bloodworms. You need 5 to 10 ounces of lead to get down to these fish. And from time to time they do pick up a codfish mixed in.
Well that is all I have time for this week. Busy day is keeping me from typing any more. Hope everyone enjoys another great weekend coming up. Good luck and don't forget to get those reports in.
Bill
FISHING REPORTS
5-13-Only been able to get out every wed. due to work last two weeks went surf fishing in sea isle and Atlantic city. Scored nice in my usual spots in sea isle a bust in the stirred up waters last week in Atlantic city. This week (5-12-10) I wanted out on the river even tho one of my boys was going to sea isle. Sure glad I stayed home. Perfect striper conditions as far as I was concerned wed. got out right before outgoing great outing all the way through I had 9 herring half dozen clams 1 whole bunker and 7 live creek chubs and got creamed today left the river with 3 clams. 6 stripers total, one slot all the rest were 28" 29" 29" 30" 30"! Only had to move four times to get the fish. And I only moved when the eels started hitting thick. Also had about a dozen or more catfish later in the day with a whopper 39" catfish and thanks to the guy in the red boat I got the scale from he had a lil old hand held and it read somewhere around 16-17lbs I had to c it on
digital so I held it til I got to the trunk 22lbs 3oz (live creek chub) I couldn't wrap my hands around anypart of it's body except for the tail area hella fight like moving a damn car. Biggest of my life. Hope the weather nice next week. Tks for the herring guys.
5-12- Alloway Lake hold ome great bass fishing. Took the afternoon and went out throwing Berkely gulp worms and spinner baits. Now I'm still learning the lake but still hooked up 8 bass and landed 5. the big fish was 4 pounds with the rest about 2 pounds. One big fish run me into a tree and took my eight dollar spinner bait. Have to go back with waders another time to retreve it. A few other fisherman were around and all caught something. One picked up this big pike with a little tiny crappy jig. The fish had to be over 20 inches.
5-12- Raining most of the morning at Station Avenue but it did not hurt the stripers and catfish. Took herring out and landed 2 stripers 4 catfish. Nothing big but fun morning anyway. just starting to warm up now writing this note.
5-10- hey Bill the Big D is still holding strong. We hit the Byran area again and fished the minnows and nightcrawlers we bought from you. Landed 15 smallmouth bass, 2 walleyes and 8 catfish. We did try for shad for a little bit but they have seemed to headed north. Had one run off and missed the fish. Saw a couple up top jumping but that was it for shad. Will stick to smallmouth bass fishing from now on. Jack
5-8- Great day out on the Delaware again. I went up and caught all the herring we wanted and down to the turnpike brigde to striper fish. We fished chunked baits and also downrigged live herring. We caught 17 stripers from 21 inches all the way up to 39 inches. I weighted the big fish at 31 pounds. This fish was full of herring as you could see the impression of the fish in it's belly. We also caught 10 catfish all over 5 pounds.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:52 AM

Linden Ave
Philadelphia Pa.
Friday May 28, 2010
Stripers were still hot in the river this past week. Myself I was able to get out on Tuesday with my sister who live in Hawaii to show how good the river can be. We fished from 8 till mid afternoon and picked up 17 stripers, 8 catfish, 1 white perch and 8 eels. Most of the fish were picked up on fresh herring that I was lucky enough that John gave me on Monday. Not like last week here we picked up some real nice fish. One fish was 36 inches 20 pounds, one other was a 33 inch about 16 pounds. The rest went from there down to 14 inches. The catfish were all on the small side except for one fish that was about 8 pounds. The eels were all monsters again but if you are hooking them up on 6/0 hooks they kind of have to be big. I was back out on Wednesday late in the afternoon with Helen and my son. We were out way to late but still picked up 2 stripers, 2 catfish and 7 eels. Again herring was the main bait. All these fish were small. Now John was out on Monday picking up a limit of herring in a couple hours. He said the fish were a later bite and once they started everyone was catching them. Back down the river he picked up stripers up to 33 inches and some monster catfish. One fish he weighed was 12 pounds. He was back out early on Wednesday catching 6 stripers up to 30 inches and a bunch of catfish. Now talking to several guys that were out both days I was there were allot of stripers picked up down river. One fisherman had a 4 fish limit in his live well 20 to 25 inches. He was fishing right below the Tacony Bridge and said he released 6 others all keeper size. He also picked up a few bigger catfish up to 10 pounds. He also told me there were several guys fishing the nature center beach and there were over 10 other stripers caught there. One other fisherman I talked to was down by the arsenal catching 5 stripers all under 20 inches. He picked these fish up with bloodworms. Now off the dock at Linden Avenue they have been doing real good for stripers, catfish and perch. The stripers have been hitting bloodworms, clams and herring the best. They said there have been a few bigger fish caught but most have been 12 to 17 inches. They did catch several catfish up to 7 pounds here. Station Avenue has stayed the same with several stripers still being caught with fresh herring. Here they have still picked up some bigger fish in the 30 inch class. Camer Street has also been pretty good with a few stripers and big catfish hitting bloodworms, herring and clams. One real good spot was up around the turnpike bridge this past weekend. David was up fishing with his father catching several stripers from 20 to mid 30 inches. He also picked up several catfish. These fish were all caught with fresh herring. Further down river there were a few guys down fishing off Petty's Island doing very good with herring, bloodworms and clams. These guys have been picking up 10 to 30 fish a day with several fish in the 20 to 26 inch limit. They said there has not been a big fish taken in several weeks. Down around the Commodore Barry Bridge catching allot of smaller stripers but landing some monster catfish. These guys have still been using herring and bloodworms to land these fish. They said most of the stripers have been 12 to 22 inches but catfish up to 20 pounds have been caught. Down in Salem cove they have been catching stripers 14 to 28 inches with bloodworms, herring and chicken livers. But here they are still doing very good on white perch, carp and catfish. The catfish and stripers are hitting the same baits but if your looking for the big perch bloodworms are a must. The carp are being picked up with corn and corn meals. Trenton north was pretty good this past week but here most all the fish are on the small side. The guides are starting to thin out with most of the stripers being caught are 18 to 28 inches. The herring bite has been a day by day thing with one day real good and the next real tough. Again another week it should be all over. I know working 7 days next week this may have been my last trip for river stripers. Smallmouth better get ready!
The upper river for smallmouth bass has been hit or miss. There are several guys doing very good and some are not catching anything. Charlie is still fishing Point Pleasant catching 19 smallmouth bass, 3 walleyes, 9 stripers and 4 catfish this past week. He was out 4 evenings to catch these fish. Baits were minnows, chicken livers, grubs, tubes and crankbaits. Several guys fishing off the New Hope wing dam had a good week with walleyes but none of these guys did anything with smallmouth. Fishing with worms and minnows there were over 20 walleyes picked up by several different fisherman. Down the Yardley area they have been catching more stripers than smallmouth. These guys are fishing before the sun comes up with poppers, Bomber's, chug bugs and shad bodies landing stripers up to 30 inches. After the sun comes up there start to pick up allot of stripers with minnows and grubs. These fish are then 15 to 20 inches. Up at Byran the smallmouth bass were hitting real good for a few guys up in the rock walls. These guys picked up over 35 smallmouth bass on Saturday fishing with live minnows. They also said there were some real nice bass up to 17 inches. They also picked up several catfish up to 8 pounds. Fishing up at the Water Gap the reports for shad are dropping off but the smallmouth bass fishing has been picking up. Kevin fished both Saturday and Sunday catching 20 shad during the evening hours but also picked up over 40 smallmouth bass during the day. He did best with spinner baits, spinners, buzz baits and grubs for the bass with the shad still hitting small darts and spoons. Further up river a customer was looking for shad but had no luck. He told me the fish were swimming all around him during the morning. He did pick up a few smallmouth bass and big bluegills. His mistake was not fishing for the shad during the late afternoon. Up in this section I usually don't start to shad fish till after 4 p.m. He was fishing right below Hankins, New York. Timmy up to Long Eddie has been picking up several nice trout fishing dry flies. He has been catching mostly rainbows up to 20 inches. He said up here the main problem is keeping the shad off the dry flies. He said most night he can catch 5 to 10 shad while out for trout. The lower Delaware has been great for largemouth bass with a nice mix of stripers and catfish for the guys fishing the main river. Rick had a good day fishing the bridges with crankbaits and rattle traps landing more catfish than bass. He said most of the catfish were 5 to 8 pounds. Nice fight on light gear. Another fisherman picked up over 20 bass fishing the rocks from Linden Avenue down river to Pennypack Street. He was fishing Yozuri crankbaits and drop shot Senko worms to land bass up to 3 pounds. He also had several catfish but picked up 5 stripers up to 20 inches. Several guys have been doing great back in Dredge Harbor on smaller bass fishing with plastic worms, lizards, crankbaits and jigs.
Other spots around the area. Noxamixion was real good for John this past weekend. Saturday he found the fish in the same deep water and fished deep crankbaits and suspended crankbaits to land over 20 bass. He said most of these fish were 2 to 4 pounds. On Sunday he went looking for fish in shallow water to pick up allot of fish but all were 10 to 12 inches. He caught these fish with plastic worms. So after several hours he went back out to the deep water to pick up another 8 fish with crankbaits. Here again most of these fish were 2 to 4 pounds. Another customer told me fishing all day Saturday only landed him a few bluegills with small jigs. He fished the lake for most of the day without a largemouth bass hit. The next guy told me fishing right across from the Tohickon boat ramp he caught over 10 bass fishing with plastic worms and spinner baits. Now he said the fish were small but the action was enough to keep him happy. A few other guys have been down fishing in the spillway doing very good with walleyes. They have been fishing at night with minnows under a lighted float. Fall's Township has still been a good spot to head if your looking for largemouth bass, crappies or pickerel. Jim has still been on the largemouth bass fishing with plastic power worms either Texas rigged or drop shot. He also is still seeing plenty of guys working the shoreline catching perch, crappies and pickerel with live minnows, worms and twister tails. The Pennypack creek is starting to get extremely low but they are still picking up trout in certain sections. I seems the upper section has been holding more fish with one fisherman hitting the pools below Pine Road. He has been fishing late in the afternoons with flies and spinners. He said most days he will pick up 1 to 5 fish. He is also catching lots of bluegills and a smallmouth bass from time to time. Up at Lamar Park they are still getting some bigger trout with smallmouth bass, bluegills and rock bass mixed in. These guys are using meal worms, salted minnows, power baits, spinners and shallow crankbaits. One report back from Levittown Lake with this customer up looking for trout only to catch a few largemouth bass. He caught these fish with Kastmasters spoons. Again only one report back from Core Creek with these guys out in kayaks doing very good on largemouth bass fishing with plastic worms, spinner baits and live minnows. These guys have been catching bass up to 5 pounds. Rohm Haas largemouth bass fishing has still been very good with most of the fish small. These bass have been hitting minnows and shiners along the shoreline. There have been several guys this week looking for bigger fish with spinner baits, rattle traps and plastic worms with little luck. A few guys hit Silver Lake catching a bunch of bluegills with meal worms under a bobber. They also have been up to the shopping center lake catching crappies, bass and bluegills. Here they fish early and leave before getting chased. Then they head over to Silver Lake. Now behind Silver is Magnolia Lake which is a much better lake for largemouth bass. But the past couple week I have not talked to anyone that has been there. Several different reports back from Jersey. The guys fishing Union had a great couple of days this past weekend. They are now picking up some bigger crappies trolling twister tails. They are also fishing around the islands with plastic worms for both largemouth bass and smallmouth bass. A couple of guys were fishing Olympia lake doing very good on smaller largemouth bass. They were fishing minnows and nightcrawlers. One report from Lake Hopatcong doing good for largemouth bass and musky's. The said most of the bass were picked up fishing spinner baits, buzz baits and plastic worms. The muskie's were hitting large jitterbugs, monster size spinners and spinner baits and big crankbaits. Now they are saying the muskie's being caught are 15 to 35 pounds. The last freshwater report from Jersey was from the Egg Harbor river. These guys were out looking for yellow perch but only picked up pickerel and white perch. These guys were fishing minnows, shiners and grass shrimp.
Flounder season will open this Saturday and there is allot of excitement stirring to get started. i have talked to so many guys out striper fishing with chunk bunker, live eels, chunked eels, live herring, chunk herring and many other bait to catch some really big flounder. Now they have all been out of season and had to be released but starting Saturday most guys will have flounder on the dinner table. Some of the best fishing for flounder will be in the back bays fishing with squid, minnows, spearing, flounder belly and bucktails. But allot of boats will be heading out front to fish the deeper water for bigger fluke. Here again squid, minnows, chunked eels, strip bunker and bucktails are the main baits. Sea bass fishing opened last weekend and talking to several guys that were out the fishing was great. Now not many guys made the 25 fish limit but most guys were catching between 10 and 15 fish with most fish in the 2 to 3 pound range. Fred was out of Sea Isle fishing for sea bass about 3 miles out and limited out on sea bass with 6 guys on the boat. He said they were stacked up on a few wreaks and were hitting clams and 4 ounce diamond jigs. Nothing really big but they did have several fish 3 to 5 pounds. He will be out for flounder this coming weekend. Up north the stripers have still been hitting good both beach and boat fishing. The beach at Sandy Hook has been very good for Russ who has been picking up several keeper fish with fresh clams. He has had a few throw back but most fish this past week were 28 to 32 inches. another customer John was out on Monday afternoon picking up 4 stripers all between 12 and 20 pounds. He also picked up several flounder fishing with strip mackerel looking for bluefish. Down off Brick they have been catching allot of stripers but here most fish are just short. But in the mix there are several 4 to 6 pound bluefish being caught. Now off shore from Long Island down the north Jersey shore the boats have been doing fantastic on stripers snagging bunker dropping them for stripers. They have also been doing very good on spoons and diamond jigs from 3 to 6 ounces. Here they have been catching stripers up to 40 pounds. Down off Atlantic City they have picked up some stripers in the back bay with bloodworms and cut herring. They say most of the fish have been 20 to 28 inches. Here they have also picked up some small sea bass and blackfish off the jetties. Brigantine north end has been great for stripers and even several puppy drum. These guys have been fishing clams on the bottom. Steve was there on Sunday landing 4 stripers and 2 drumfish. The stripers were both just 28 inches with both drum about 15 pounds. He said most everyone was picking up some kind of fish. As the week went on they seem to pick up even more stripers with a few fish up to 25 pounds. One customer walked onto the beach 20 minutes late for the bite but said everyone had 1 or 2 stripers laying in the sand. He said there were several drumfish caught while he was there but he had no luck. Hereford's Inlet jetties has been real good for blackfish. These guys have been fishing green crabs along and in the rocks of the jetties. Most trips Mike has been coming home with a limit of fish up to 2 pounds. He is starting to see a few sea bass right off the jetty hitting strip mackerel and clams. Cape May Point was pretty good for one fisherman that caught a nice 28 pound striper off the jettie with a bucktails. He was out looking for weakfish. While he was there 2 weakfish were taken with bloodworms both about 3 pounds. The Delaware Bay has been picking up each week for drumfish with now some really big fish caught. One boat picked up over 30 fish with 8 fish over 50 pounds. The big fish of the night was 86 pounds. Several of these boats are fishing for the drumfish at night and have been hitting stripers in the morning and evening. For the stripers they have been fishing bunker and clams. The drumfish have been hitting whole clams. Up the bay they are still picking up stripers fishing bunker and clams both off the beaches and out in boats. Fortasque has been one spot allot of fish have been caught off shore but here they say all the fish are short. Money Island has been real good for George who has picked up stripers up to 25 pound the past couple weekends. He has been fishing all fresh bunker.
Well that is all I have time for this week. I hope I got a little more information out than last week. Good luck and I hope everyone enjoys this great holiday weekend. Good luck for all the flounder fisherman heading to the shore. Please let me know how well you make out. Been waiting for some more smallmouth reports from the local streams and rivers. So far report have been coming in slow.
Bill
FISHING REPORTS
5-26- Hit the Tohickon this morning looking for left over trout. Well did not find any trout but did real good catching smallmouth bass and rock bass. Fished different spinners for the trout to start catching the bass so I switched over to Rebel crankbaits and then it was one. I can't even tell you how many fish I did catch but it was way over 50 by the end of the day. Only had one big smallie about 3 pounds. Richy D.
5-23-Fishing Saturday down for sea bass was worth the trip out. I did not know how it was going to be after the long closure but the captian put us right on a werak and we caught all the sea bass we wanted. Now I was the only one on the boat that did not catch his limit but I still came home with 21 fish. Almost every fish was 2 pounds and were caught with clams. I seen a few guys stripping mackerel and they were catching bigger fish. Going to try that next time out.
5-22- Made my last trip out on the river today and ended the season with some good stripers. We went up and caught all the herring we wanted and moved back down to the Burlington Bristol Bridge and anchored up. We just lite up the stripers and almost all the fish were 25 inches up to 38 inches. We ened up catching 18 fish. We also put 21 catfish in the boat with all the eels you wanted. Will be down the shore for the holiday weekend and won't have the baot back up north till fall. Timmy
5-19-just wanted to show you guys a pic of a big smallmouth i caught up in fairless hills. i did not even know there were smallies in there but i guess this is proof.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:57 PM

Linden Ave
Philadelphia Pa.
Friday July 9, 2010

The heat is the main thing to report for this past week. And with all this heat it has just about killed business. I was up on the river on Tuesday all day and I only talked to one other fisherman all day. There were a couple pleasure boats running around but for fisherman the one boat and no waders. And that was in 5 miles of river. Now the river is about he lowest I have ever seen it. But the low water was not the problem it was all the algae and snot balls floating down river. The fast water was bad but when you hit slack water it was next to impossible to fish. We fished from 11 a.m. till 6 p.m. and picked up 32 smallmouth bass. The size of the smallmouth were the best I have seen in many years. Most of the fish we had were 12 to 14 inches. We also picked up a couple 16 to 18 inch fish. Most of the fish were caught on minnows but watermelon grubs were well also. After breaking for dinner we went back out for several hours and did not have a single hit. In all that time I only seen 2 fish jump. The other boat I talked to was also fishing live minnows and grubs and had a fair day. He was wading the middle of the river most of the day and said he picked up about 15 fish. Now Jay was up to Washington's Crossing and all he did was fight with people swimming the river. He said next the swimmers it was the agile and heat that almost killed him. Not much for fish that day. Rob over the weekend fished the islands at Yardley and picked up a couple fish. He only fished a couple hours having to get to our picnic on Sunday. A few other guys were up fishing the islands above the 95 bridge on Saturday catching 15 smallmouth bass. These guys picked up most of their fish with live minnow. Kevin has still been catching 15 to 30 fish each trip out fishing in the Stockton section of the river. He has been doing best with live minnows and Zoom grubs. Charlie dropped down river and fished around the walk bridge at Bull's Island this week and did pretty good fishing with Rebel crayfish, grubs and tubes. He said on Monday he landed about 20 fish and Wednesday was his best day of the year with over 32 fish. He picked up fish up to 19 inches. J.R. wading the river at Point Pleasant picked up allot of nice smallmouth bass with grubs and minnows. He said that day they would hit minnows for so long then switch right over to grubs. He had about 25 fish. With all these reports I was really shocked that only smallmouth bass are being caught. Now I drifted over allot of catfish but I did not hear of a single catfish, striper, perch or rock bass in the upper river this past week. Now in the lower river they are doing very good with catfish and perch fishing with bloodworms, herring, chicken livers, shrimp, clams and bagels. The fishing has been best early in the morning or late in the afternoons. During the heat of the day even the catfishing drops off. Right off Linden Avenue over the weekend they caught allot of stripers 10 to 12 inches with catfish up to 21 inches. Another customer on Saturday picked up over 25 stripers at Station Avenue with bloodworms. Again all the fish were 10 to 15 inches. With all the heat we did hear back from one of the largemouth bass fisherman that fish the lower river. Most of these guys are out in the afternoon and I really think they did not want to deal with the heat.
Saltwater action has been great for the guys that are brave enough to deal with the heat. Early in the week the weather was nice down the shore but that changed as the week went on. But with all the fish that are being caught there are more small fish and junk fish being caught then good eating fish. The flounder guys in the south have been just catching all the flounder they want. But if you catch 30 to 40 fish a day all but 1 maybe 2 will go back. One of Anthony's friends call today and had over 20 fish in the back bay without a keeper. Fred was in fishing out front of Sea Isle picking up 35 to 40 fish each trip out with only 3 keepers all week. He said the 3 were out of 100 +. Off Cape May the same story is holding true on the catch, keeper ratio. Plenty of fish but not many keepers. Up at Fortasque they have been doing very good with flounder but again allot of throw backs. Off the Miss Fortasque a customer this past week picked up 22 flounder but did have 3 keepers. He said the 3 were 20 to 22 inches enough for several good meals. The crabbing here has been real good with most boats still coming in with 3 to 4 dozen keepers each trip out. They have been using allot of chicken, bunker and salted eels. In the back allot of small stripers and perch are also being caught with bloodworms, clam strips and squid. Kingfishing has still been very good from North Wildwood up through Atlantic City, Margate and Ventnor. These beach and pier fisherman have been doing best with live bloodworms and Fish Bites in bloodworm. They have been catching anywhere from 5 to 15 fish each trip down. Now mixed in there have been allot of sharks and skates being caught with mackerel or kingfish heads. John has still been doing good on small flounder fishing behind the casinos in Atlantic City. He has been sticking with Gulp mullet with a jig head. Again nothing in the keeper size. Up off Sandy Hook another John did pick up a few smaller stripers last Sunday afternoon. He was fishing with clams on the bottom to land these fish. He said the biggest was 22 inches. But he did pick up one bluefish about 8 pounds fishing a diamond jig. Now for big numbers of fish the guys heading down to the Chesapeake have been doing great with spots and small croakers. These guys are fishing with bloodworms and Fish Bites. Quick add in from a customer that has been fishing north for flounder around the Red Church in about 30 feet of water catching 4 keepers last Saturday with 15 throw backs. He said the keepers were all 20 to 22 inches. All these fish were picked up with bucktails and dropper loops with 6 inch Gulp twister tails. He said everyone on the boat had about the same ratio with allot of nice fish. The captain told him they will be moving to deeper water as the temperature starts to move up.
Other spots in this area, Core Creek did slow up allot this past week for largemouth bass. All three guys were up this week and they only picked up 2 bass both on the small side. Not for trying with these guys up several different times fishing with all kinds of lures. Now a few other guys were down fishing off the dam saying plenty of bluegills and perch are still hitting on mealworms, earthworms, small minnows, shiners and small jigs. Jim took a morning and headed up to Fall's Township and worked plastic worms for several hours only to catch 1 bass. This fish was about 12 inches. He watched several other guys working the shoreline but not much was going on. One boat he seen did have a couple walleyes jigging in deeper water. He thinks they were fishing live minnows. The Neshaminy has really gotten shallow and full of algae. Several guys are catching some small bass, rock bass and bluegills but nothing to speak of. The problem has been working any jigs, crankbaits or minnows with each cast you have to spend time cleaning all the green off your hook. Here at least you can work top water without too much problem. On customer was in the upper part of the Neshaminy at Dark Hallow Road picking up 2 bass both about 15 inches. He was up working his fly rod for several hours looking for a stray trout with no luck. So he whipped out his spinning rod with a grub to catch these two fish. Noxamixion was slow this week. John called me on Sunday and said after the day he had on Saturday he was passing till next week. Saturday he worked the pads before sun up only to miss about 6 bass. He worked out off he pads as the morning went on with worms and lizards to pick up 3 bass all about 9 inches. He shot over tot he dam and fished some of the ledges without a bite. So home he headed. One other report from this lake was a fisherman working a weedless Spro frog to catch 2 decent bass. He picked these two fish right out of the thick pads and both were 2 to 3 pounds. Off the dam another customer fished some live worms and minnows only catching a couple sunfish and a eels. He said he was going to head down the spillway but after a couple hours another fisherman came up to the dam telling him all morning he did not have a fish down below. Ron has been both at Roosevelt Lake and along the Schuylkill river. He said the lake has been pretty good for panfish with small jigs and grubs. Most of the fish have been bluegills and crappies. No big bass or snake heads have been picked up in several weeks. There is allot of fish breaking the surface of the lake in the afternoons but Ron has fished all kinds of surface lures and crankbaits with no luck. In the Schuylkill river he has done pretty good on smallmouth bass fishing with minnows, nightcrawlers and grubs. He is also doing pretty good on small catfish with nightcrawlers and chicken livers. He has talked to allot of other fisherman that have been wading for smallmouth bass doing very good with grubs, top water lures, minnows and crayfish. I had one other customer fishing this river down below the art museum doing pretty good on smaller stripers, catfish and carp. He has been picking up the stripers with bloodworms, chicken livers and clams. The catfish have been hitting the chicken livers and clams. The carp with blueberry and cinnamon raison bagels. No report from any of the lakes or rivers in jersey this past week.
Well that is all I have for you again this week. I will be heading up state next week so the report will be a day or so late. Don't know how much fishing I will be able to do with tons of work to catch up on.
Bill
FISHING REPORTS
7-6- Out of the Big D yesterday and found the smallmouth bass fishing very good. Fished right at 95 bridge with your minnows and landed 9 fish. Biggest fish was 15 inches with the small fish being 12 inches. We also seen allot of shad breaking so fishing with top water I thought the action would break loose. Well I have been wrong before and was wrong again. Not a single fish taken out of the pods of baitfish. The one we caught were in the fast water. Glen
7-6- Wanted to let you guys know how our vacation turned out. Rented a place on Beltzville Resiviour and fished in waters that I know nothing about. We tried to stay close to the shore line and fished all kinds of spinner baits, crankbaits, plastic worms, rattle traps and twsiter tails. Well it was not hard to catch perch, crappies, largemouth bass and pickerel. Nothing giant but allot of action. I would say the first couple days we pulled in 25 to 50 fish each day. But we talked to a few boats that were out fishing the deeper water with slip sinkers and live shiners. So we took the advice and headed out to about where to fish. Well the first cast I caught my first walleye about 21 inches. Well as the day went on we did pick up a few bigger smallmouth bass but after hitting a hump we now are on the fish. Well my daughters first fish was 21 inches. Hell I have not caught one that big yet. Well the next two days we boated another 3 walleyes and 27 smallmouth bass between 14 and 19 inches. Great time. Booked up for next year. Schmidt family!!!!
7-4-Holiaday weekend has been really good with all the warm weather fishing for smallmouth bass. We have been fishing the upper delaware at Upper Black Eddie and other than all the low dirty water the fishing has been great. Fishing with your minnows and what we can catch turing rocks over we pulled in 17 bass today. Yesterday we fished the nighttime and caught 11. Nothing big but fat fighting fish.
7-2- Hi Bill, Not much to report from me.... my wife and i went up to Levittown Lake on wed (6/30) got there @6am and stayed til noon, not one bite ! We used mealworms,power baits, and nights and tried all kinds of lures top and bottom and had no hits. We went out again to Rohm Haas on thurs the next day. Got there @ 5:30am and stayed til 1pm again nothing, not one hit, seen alot of jumping on top of the water but couldnt get anything to bite. We used live minnows, (both under a bobber and on bottom), nights and mealworms and i tried all kinds of lures and nothing would bite. Both places were dead ! Kevin & Glenda
7-2- Fished from land in the back bay then in the surf at Ship Bottom and got skunked for the first time in ages. Used minnows and clams trying to get some of the flounder I've been hearing about, but not even a nibble. Perhaps it was the tides or the water that day (which was listed at 61 but felt colder). Strange trip, frustrating too, though hey, it beats working.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:12 PM

Linden Ave
Philadelphia Pa.
Tue, Dec 21, 2010

I just got back my striper that I caught this spring from the taxidermist and if anyone is interested in getting a fish done this is the guy you want to go to. I will attach a photo of the fish but in all the years of business this is the best job I have seen. If is a fiberglass mount that weighs next to nothing. It will be fish I can enjoy for the rest of my life.

Bill
http://www.coastalthings.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bills-fish.jpg
Views:	1254
Size:	867.5 KB
ID:	14665  
Old 03-25-2011, 06:51 PM
Report Meister

Linden Ave
Philadelphia Pa.
Friday March 25, 2010

They are getting a striper here and there. Anthony was down at Linden Avenue with fresh herring only to have one hit. But the next day he headed up to Station Avenue and had a fisherman pick up a 22 inch fish with bloodworms. Another customer yesterday picked up 2 fish both under 24 inches. He again was using bloodworms. There was another fish caught off Princeton Avenue on Wednesday in the rain 27 inches. This fish was caught with bloodworms. Everyone else has been striking out on stripers with some catfish hitting. Paul who is fishing down river in Essington has been catching plenty of catfish with some eels here and there but so far not a striper. At the UPS building I have been hearing of stripers 20 to 28 inches being caught but that is only word of mouth. One order for a flat of bloodworms to a customer that is fishing from the airport down to the flats telling me this customer must be catching fish. Way down river at Salem they have still been doing real good with stripers and white perch at the warm water discharge. Here again bloodworms has been the best bait with earthworms, herring and shrimp also working. The river has cleared up quite a bit but the water temperature is still in the mid 40's. I think once it hits 50 degrees all hell will break loose. But for the lower river that is all I have for you so far.
The upper river has come alive with shad. Chris Gatley on Sunday said the fish were so hot that 3 rods were hooked up most of the time. They caught over 40 fish in the afternoon. Mike was up to Yardley and a guide was coming out with 5 live shad and they told him that they picked up another 10 fish that were released. A fisherman off the New Hope wing dam picked up 2 shad with spoons both about 3 pounds. He said they were both large buck fish and hit right in the fast water. The last report for shad was a fisherman at the Trenton bridges catching 7 fish with spoons right below the railroad bridge. He said the water here has been a bit dirty but the fish have not minded. He has also been fishing down in the power plant but said the fishing here has been very slow. Now Tom up at Stockton had a couple good days with some good walleyes. He has been out trolling shallow crankbaits and also throwing twister tails and tubes. This week he had a couple days with 8 fish up to 25 inches.
Other reports this week have been slow. I think with the cold rainy weather most guys took the week off. Ron was down to the art museum and had a couple bad days with no walleyes, shad or stripers.

If anyone is interested we were able to get some river herring back in stock. It will be $6.00 a pack of 3. I know with the big striper tournament this week some people will be very interested. Bill