high tide at night with live eels and.... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:59 PM
First Mate

Default high tide at night with live eels and....

NOTHING! I finally tried going out at night and using the ever popular live eels and still got nothing! I went out about 2 hours before high tide and stayed out there for 2 hours after. This being the 1st time I tried eels I have to say they are a pain in ass! Slippery little guys. Took me 5 minutes to get them on a hook! I got the hang of it towards the end though. At first, nothing, and then I got a big hit. And I'm thinking, finally, I'm gonna get me a striper. I'm reeling in and get him right to the side of the boat and no surprise, not a striper... but I would swear on my balls that this weak fish was at least 3 1/2 ft. As I'm reeling in I tell my wife to get the net which turned out to be absolutely useless! She just stood there with her mouth open and staired at it. She couldn't believe how big it was. Naturally, the line broke and that was that. Needless to say, I'm still not speaking to her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2007, 07:00 AM
Lunker

Default Re: high tide at night with live eels and....

I find having a rag or smaller towel on the boat does help in handling fish and eels.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:36 AM
Pro Staff

I used those red shop towels last year,,, worked pretty well for improving your grip on the slimey bastards. This year I tried one of those green 3M scouring pads and it's just awesome. Even if it's completely saturated with slime, you get a great grip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2007, 09:01 AM
First Mate

funny you should say that because that is exactly what I used, one of those red shop towels.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:56 PM

Where did you fish the eels?
Old 07-14-2007, 10:29 PM
First Mate

on the boat, next to the belt parkway. I was drifting from the 14 avenue exit to the overpass on bay 17th
Old 07-15-2007, 01:46 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i like to rig them and with the dual hook the yellow eyed devils are toast if they try and ruin em. strange cheech and i haven;t met yet. i bet you sharted when that fish bolted? be easy on the misses as they know not what they cause. funny, my wife has locked into many of my fish and i care too much to correct her. maybe we take the fly rods out one afternoon?

Old 07-15-2007, 11:51 AM
First Mate

I sharted when I saw the size of it! As far as the misses not knowing what she did wrong...BULLS#!T. She knew. And knew not to say anything about it either!
I would be more then happy to fish with ya zim, I don't have any fly rods...
Old 07-15-2007, 01:21 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i will bring them. will be a good gathering for us to shoot the breeze as we have not been formally aquainted

Old 07-15-2007, 03:14 PM

The next time you go out with eels, give Fort Wadsworth a shot. Let me know houw you make out.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:17 AM
Surf's Up

kill the eel and retreve slowy works beter i think but u should ask roccus aka king of eels
Old 07-31-2007, 02:37 AM
LunkerSpunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstripers View Post
kill the eel and retreve slowy works beter i think but u should ask roccus aka king of eels
definately read up on Roc's posts on eels, but I'm sure he or anyone would tell you to not kill the eel. You can use dead eels but why would you kill a lively fresh bait on purpose?
Old 07-31-2007, 11:17 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Leave 'em live and tieing knots.... it takes some getting used to but, you WILL get the hang of it...There is a little known trick that I use that I will share here, so listen up....

Red shop towels are my choices, but most of the time I go "ragless" ask anyone that fishes with me.... Select you bait from the bucket ( they should not be in any water) after awile they will become tacky and eaiser to handle.. an occasional misting with a spray bottle of water will keep them happy... once you have selected your bait, gently handle the eel so you can roll it on it's back ( squeeze hard and you piss them off, gently "play" with them and they will usualy behave) once you get the little serpant on it's back, jam you thumb HARD into the base of the skull at the jaw line(belly side up) this will cause the eels to go limp( it may twitch it's tail a little but for the most part he/she will be still) insert you hook and throw the bait in the water, 'cause it will be VERY upset once you release the "stunner", then quickly pull your bait and cast... it takes a little practice, but once you get the hang of it, you'll neverfight to hook an eel again...