live eels? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > New Jersey
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New Jersey Regional discussion, news and reports for striped bass fishing in New Jersey

Old 06-19-2007, 10:52 PM

Question live eels?

question is ----would live eels work this time of year??---or are they only good in the fall (nyc area)---would they not match the hatch----or would they go for this treat whenever they see one??----thanks for any input in advande
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2007, 11:30 PM
(formerly brian21johansen)

Default Re: live eels?

im sure roccus will be here soon to tell you about how eels are the best bait in the world for stripers....and from what i've heard, stripers will take eels at any time of the year with very very few exeptions, if there is an eel present it is very likely that any nearby bass will soon be eating dinner (or breakfast).

my question to anybody who see's this..............does it matter where i use eels. I know eels are very effective....but are they more effective in say, a sandy area vs. a rocky area?
Old 06-20-2007, 07:31 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

I use eels (and any immatation) virtually anywhere. My method may change some from sandy / rocky / weedy areas.
I'm still experimenting (about 25 yrs. worth) so I'm looking to hear what Roc says too.
About the only time I can think of not to use eels is when there's ice on the ponds and fishing for winter hold-overs. They'd be hybernating in the mud then anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2007, 09:35 AM
Wishin i was fishin

roc has made so many posts on this, and i've fished with eels enough to know as well that if there's a hungry fish around, and it sees an eel....do you really think it's going to pass it up? Not likely. It's like putting a popsicle in front of a kids face and shaking it around...damn right the kids gonna snatch that thing. I've always used eels for most fishing instances. Now obviously there may be times when they're feeding on something else, but i would definitely say eels are the most versatile bait. There's always one good answer to the question "do they work?" the best answer i can think of is ......try them. Like roc says stripers don't read a book so fortunately you can try fishing just about anything.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:55 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Eels work... any time of year, dont let all the bunk of them being only a warm water bait get in the way, bass eat eels PERIOD... they dont care if it's spring, summer or fall, if the bass are there and they are feeding ( bass feed for short periods of time, and rest for longer periods of time) they will clobber the eels, most people are just too impatient to have faith in them.

Remember, eels are a large fish bait (yes, small fish eat them, but not in large quantities, look at the trouble you have with them, and you have two hands!)so, since you are targeting large fish, there will natuarly be less of them, you have to make a choice, quality.... or quantity...

eels work just as well on sand beaches, around mussel shoals or on top of rock piles.... remember to try different places in the water colum, if the bass are not on top, they may down deep or vise versa....
Old 06-21-2007, 12:47 AM
LunkerSpunker

Roc, what would your method of fishing an eel on topwater be? I like to plug with eels, cast and retrieve slow but I think they always find the bottom, just wondering how you would keep em at the surface?
Old 06-21-2007, 09:57 PM

Here's what I would do:
If a chopper bites it off, then don't fish them.
I was also thinking about fishing them now, but I'll wait until August comes around.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:58 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

nyc eel slingin contest, buy 10 eels. Bluefish = 9 ~ Bass = maybe 1 lmfao but it is worth the stress as long as you are catching fish

Old 06-23-2007, 09:44 PM
Official Member

fished live eels today in the Merrimack. Nailed fish. Fished up river, drifted with the outgoing tide. Marked a ton of fish on the sounder. Told the boys to hold on as we went over them. Was a good day. Convinced eels are an "anytime bait".