First time fly - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers on the Fly
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers on the Fly Discuss fly fishing for Striped Bass here. Fly tying, tips, tricks, reports, etc. Everything fly!

Old 01-25-2006, 12:08 AM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Default First time fly

Hi all, well a few weeks ago I was watching my Saturday morning fishing shows(like cartoons years ago) and there was some one Fly fishing for red fish and it looked like a real challenge. Fast forward to this past week end and the LL bean store where I meet a very nice older fly fisherman who worked there and let me try out some stuff. Well I didnt but any thing as I thought I would see if any one here could give me any advice on a cheap to moderately priced outfit and what I will need to fly fish for stripers. I have never done it before and I'm pretty much clueless about all aspects of it. Thanks for any and all help.
Khary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2006, 02:10 AM

Well, I"ll be the first, and hopefully not the last... TFO... Temple Fork Outfitters make a good rod for the money. The Professional series is a little more than a hundred bucks. Depending on what you're going to fish for, the reel should be about a hundred or so, and what ever you do, don't scrimp on the line... $45.00 to $70.00 is a good average, and use good leader material... You don't have to buy pre made at $3.95 or so each... tie your own... You can pay more, but if you're not an accomplished fly fisherman, spend a few bucks on casting lessons... It will be money well spent...
Old 02-02-2006, 01:45 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

hey chopper thanks for the info I'll be checking stuff out closeer to the spring

Khary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2006, 10:14 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

I think I found a rod one of the TFO's would you have any advice on a reel, fly line. and what type of backing to use?
thanks in advance
Old 08-15-2006, 10:32 PM

It depends on what you're gonna fish for and the size/ability of the fish.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:51 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

I'll be fishing for stripers. The rod I picked out is a 9' 9 weight. Which I heard is a good size for fishing the beach and bays of NY for bass.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:53 PM

In my humble opinion, for that kind of fishing, you shouldn't have to spend an arm and a leg. On the rods that I fish for Stripers with I use the G Loomis reels...they only go up to 8 or 9 wt. but, you probably won't need 300 yd.s of backing either, I get by nicely with mine and they make two models, one for a hundred bucks and another for $185.00, The Tioga reels are supposed to be o.k. and a few others in that price range. Just stay away from the ultra cheap, and a fully adjustable drag is really nice.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:25 PM

I saw the recommendation for the Temple Fork Outfitters fly rod. I would agree a good choice. For all around Salt Water Fly Fishing you should go with an 8 or 9 wt. Rod. On the line, an intermediate line will do the trick, 1.5 - 2" per second. Scientific Anglers makes a good one, surf colored, about $50.00. Fly's, Green and white clousers will catch everything in the big pond. Have fun

Lefty Kreh Professional Series.

Check out this place with free shipping.

http://www.ezflyfish.com/tefoflyro.html

Dave
Old 08-31-2006, 03:00 AM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Do you guys know if the Redington al 9/10 is a good reel?