Herring report - Page 5 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 07:09 AM
Veteran Elite

Default Re: Herring report

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarky711 View Post
Nothing in Albany/Troy area yesterday afternoon or at least nothing that would hit the sabiki rig or follow the stoolie. Temp was 42.5 in river.

This afternoon I tried the Catskill Creek with no luck, talked to two other guys in the creek with nothing either. Temp was 48.5 in creek and 44.5 in river.

Both places water was very dirty and only about 6" of vis. Soon...
I saw waldos in the creek the other day. I can't imagine getting any herring up north on a sabiki ... i've never had much luck catching them until the water hits high 40's. I can drift through monstrous schools but they wont hit.

And i have never had any luck with the sabiki i fast, dirty water.

Last year i watched guys foul hook them in the creek from the bridge and take and use them.

With the weather coming tomorrow it's gonna be at least another week up here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2014, 08:38 AM
First Mate

There forecasted temp will be chilly the next 3 nights but the day time highs are still ok. I doubt it will delay things a full week. I believe this coming weekend should be the start, no later.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:47 AM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipHols View Post
There forecasted temp will be chilly the next 3 nights but the day time highs are still ok. I doubt it will delay things a full week. I believe this coming weekend should be the start, no later.
The water will be like chocolate milk ... and high and fast. We won't be getting bait or fish in those conditions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2014, 08:50 AM
Tyee

Temp wise maybe but with 1-2 inches of rain expected plus snow melt = at least another week before river STARTS to clear. My guess is fishing will just start to turn on for the ale house tourney,hopefullycause I can't freKin wait no more
Old 04-14-2014, 09:02 AM
Veteran Elite

I have said this over and over and over.

Temp is not the key to the herring arrival .... as this year shows since they are here and the water is low to mid 40's.

It does play a monster role in whether the herring will hit the sabikis and the activity / aggressiveness of the stripers.

This year is unfolding just like an average year ..... the first large wave of herring hits downriver a little before 4/15 and then we see them up in Troy shortly after. There are always a few stripers with that first wave but it all ramps up and the bulk of the fish and bait arrive a week or two later .... and typically by then the water has warmed up and the real fun begins. Typically the best fishing is the week before and the week after Mother's day.

But .... an inch of rain ALWAYS screws up Troy and Albany for a week or so with dirty high water. There have been years we had one big storm after another and there wasn't much opportunity to fish.

I agree 100 percent with the idea that things should heat up around the date of the Ale House tournament .... certainly not this weekend if the rain comes as forecasted.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:12 AM
First Mate

I think I'm just in denial
Old 04-14-2014, 10:18 AM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipHols View Post
I think I'm just in denial
Anyone that is new to this is using the last couple of years as a reference for dates etc and they were abnormal.

Don't rush it .... it is friggin cold at 6 AM now .... by early may it will be much warmer and more enjoyable!

The one thing that is a definite is that they will be up here to do their thing and we will have a couple of weeks to catch em
Old 04-14-2014, 11:08 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by finkster View Post
Temp wise maybe but with 1-2 inches of rain expected plus snow melt = at least another week before river STARTS to clear. My guess is fishing will just start to turn on for the ale house tourney,hopefullycause I can't freKin wait no more
Ahhh the ale house tourney, did you register yet?! This will be my 5th year playing in it - we should fish afterwards instead of going to the bar!
Old 04-14-2014, 02:42 PM
2014 stripers caught - 0

Tried for herring today. Still to windy and murky water. Didn't see anything following. Although with limited visibility there could still be a possible straggler way behind it I can't see. Will try again after the cold passes this week
Old 04-14-2014, 04:24 PM
Worm Drowner

Where is the best place around Newburg to fish some herring with sabiki rigs from a boat? just looking for general areas where we might have some luck. TIA
Old 04-14-2014, 05:30 PM
Official Member

watched a kid using a sabiki catching herring in the poestenkill today
Old 04-14-2014, 06:31 PM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshus View Post
watched a kid using a sabiki catching herring in the poestenkill today
I heard that too. Rumors of a fish from shore last night too. I also heard rumors of a fish in catskill from shore
Old 04-14-2014, 07:39 PM
First Mate

my opinion. not that it matters. but if we get a ton of rain up here in the albany area in the next couple days, its going to be close to another week before things fire up. We have yet to get that really nasty rain and run off, muddy water, tons of trees floating. If we get what they are calling for.. well shit.. thats gonna suck, cuz i wanna go fishing.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:10 PM
Striper Hunter

I fished the post today,nothing
Old 04-14-2014, 09:01 PM
Official Member

Jigged herring in Troy today at the usual place they would be. Had about 9 hook ups, got 3. Few other guys limited out. Went through 5 sabiki rigs. Wade next time. Cold and rain will put them down. Heard rumor of a striper off the wall.
Closed Thread