Night fishing for river/dam Stripers?!? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Sweetwater Fishing -Freshwater Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Sweetwater Fishing -Freshwater Stripers Freshwater fishing discussion. Articles on tactics and techniques for freshwater stripers as well as Bass & other species.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:23 AM

Question Night fishing for river/dam Stripers?!?

Is anyone here into night outings for lake or river stipers? I'm wondering becauase where I fish, everyone goes home at dark and out come the cat/spec fisheres. I mostly fish at Jim woodruff dam on the apalachicola river. I've been fishing for stipers here for a couple years (mostly the spring) but have yet to try night fishing for them. I mean I see huge schools of shad come in along the wall well into dawn. but at that point everyone is tired and they all leave.

is there a night bite for river stiperes? I grew up snook fishing and alot of that was night time fishing around bridges and inlets in st lucie county. now I live in sounth georgia so if there is a viable excuse to get me out all night fishing for striped bass I'm all for it!!!

ow dose one go about night fishing for these fish in fresh water? I read an article about using green fish lights to draw in shad that eventualy draw in striped bass. have any of you thied the green light method? how about fishing the bridge pilons at ngiht? stiped bass like bridges right? in terms of live bait, how would you rig up for night? are certain color jigs better at night?

At jim woodruff you have the dam and a rather large one at that, then about 4 or 5 hundered yards down stream is a bridge and the remnants of the old broken bridge night next to it. the bridge is right next to the boat ramp dock and you can usualy see skipjack surfacing and feeding all night long from the dock.

any kind of feedback on the night bite would be appreciated
Anthony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2007, 08:30 PM

Default Re: Night fishing for river/dam Stripers?!?

Anthony,
I've fished til 2 am on Lake Cumberland last Dec., casting Gizz4 crankbaits just to the bank from boat, and retrieving as slow as possible.
We were fishing clay banks, were ever you'd find shad, even the skips you mentioned, I'd cast cranks, jigs, etc.
We also fished a hot water discharge til 11 pm, snowing and cold, but stripers/wipers were biting.
Same Gizz4 crankbait, but wading and casting into mix of hot water and Ohio River water mix.
I say go for it, and enjoy the excitement of not seeing when that Momster Striper hits a top water or shallow crank!

Old 03-15-2007, 08:51 PM

For those of you who can get to Lake Cumberland and love to fish at night, the whole "spring time shad spawn" has to be the best and most exciting way to catch them on that lake. I've been doing it for a while now and it is very much worth staying up all night for. Not only can you catch stripers on the surface, but I've landed several trophy walleye. The action can be very fast and furious. If anyone has any questions about doing this type of fishing I'd be glad to give my two cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2007, 01:41 PM

Hey Mepps, I'll listen!, Lay it on me! ;)
Still need to get to Cumberland this spring, and get into that surface shad explosion!
Have you fished the lake with the level at it's current stage?
I've only been to Jamestown Marina, is Greasy still a viable arm? They were catching them right off the ramp along the cliffs, though we never fished there, do you know if that is still deep enough to hold fish?
Thanks for the update!
LMJeff
Old 03-16-2007, 03:51 PM

MiamiJeff,
I always put in at Beaver so I don't know about Greasy. I do most of my fishing in Beaver, Otter and all points to the dam. I know that fishing towards the other end is hot too. Just with Cumberland so big you know how it is. You can fish on one end of the lake many years and still not have fished it all! I was going to go down this monday, but I'm not sure. Haven't really heard of anyone going out and slaying them, but some of my fishing buddies who live in Montecello have been going out with some success. Besides, Beaver's ramp isn't useable, so I'd have to improvise with a little shoreline boat launch!

I'll hit the spring night time fishing very hard though. I usually go a least 2 times a week during that short couple of months that it occurs. If you've never done it, you need to give it a try this year. With the water being down, casting the shoreline at night will be much more user friendly. Normally, as you know, the water is high and the shoreline could easily be the treeline. The shad tend to spawn in about 7-10 feet of water, that's been my sweet spot as far as depth, so if the water is in the trees you can't put your boat, much less cast, in that sweet spot. Do you have headlights on your boat? This makes it easier to navigate the sometimes floating tree infeasted waters, but that might not be problem either this year with the low water.

Do you have a radio on your boat? Let me know and maybe we can chat on the Lake sometimes. I would be happy to turn you on to Lake Cumberland night time fishing. But by the looks of those pics you don't need my help. Did you cacth those on "Smack tackle"? I think my father knows the man/men who made that lurer. He gave my dad a few protypes to try at the lake. I would like to try that bait this spring at night. But I have a hard time not using the jointed red fin. Surface hits are so exciting, even at night. Later!
Old 03-17-2007, 03:15 PM

Question Re: Night fishing for river/dam Stripers?!?

thanks for the repley miamijeff! I'll take your advice and gve it a go. we just had some rain and a cold font swept throuhg last night. we've been having soem cool weather. tongiht is going to be in the 40's .with water levels up, cool temps and spawing fish... sounds lik an awsome time to give night fishing a chance. i just may go fishing tonight.

Are stipers attracted to lights like dock and bridge lights that light up the water at night? should I fish around the light? what are the best lure colors for night?
Old 03-17-2007, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyutah View Post
Are stipers attracted to lights like dock and bridge lights that light up the water at night? should I fish around the light? what are the best lure colors for night?
IMO, baitfish are attracted to the lights....you may have better luck with live bait at night.
jigging spoons may be a decent alternative.(depending on water depth).

— Jed Clampett
Old 03-17-2007, 09:58 PM

I agree with slo-ride. Baitfish will alot of times be drawn to your light. I've used a green light that you can buy at most tackle stores. It has a lead 10 ounce weight at one end and hooks to a battery. It's actually in the water, but I've also seen guys fishing stripes at night using regular white lights which is what I think slo is talking about. These guys were using the lights to draw the shad in, then casting out beyond the lights with artifical. They also had some down lines on the side of the boat that they were not casting off of.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:00 PM

Mepps, yes, I work for/with Smack Tackle,,so I pretty much limit my lure selection to the Gizz4 and the prototypes we're developing.
I'm sure going to try to get down for the Spring night fishing season, Todd and Scott of Smack like to live bait during day, rest and take it easy unless the bite is on.
Then cast a night, just like you said, from boat to shore, Todd owns the Smack boat, I have a 15' kayak, that I really want to land a nice striper from.
As for lights, we experienced at the Jamestown Marina dock, shad under the light about 2am, and as Todd threw a Gizz4 outside the area of light, 2 large stripers actually fought over the Gizz4, came right into the light.
It was awesome!
He didn't get a hook up, but I'd think it's worth a try if nothing else is working, attract bait, and the big boys are right behind them.
LMJ
Old 03-18-2007, 05:17 PM

Do you guys make a surface lurer? I think the Grizz4 would work, but I like to throw a surface bait on those really dark nights. Seems like the darker the night the more agressive the fish are for top water baits. I throw a jointed red fin or thunderstick for surface and a rapala sliver, which goes about 3-5 ft below the surface.
If you do go just get to your spot before dark, so you can get the feel of what your casting into. I don't use anything but a small flashlight to "spotlight" the bank I'm about to cast. I also put my boat paralell to the bank. One person casts straight out the front and one straight out the back. You'll hear the shad start spawning right before night fall. Then usually the stripes come in about 30 mins. later. If you hear shad swirling, but no sounds that resemble someone hitting the water with a big board, you need to move and find another spot. If the fish are there you will definately hear them. Don't waste time fishing in an area where you don't hear the stripes feeding.
Also, if you find one of the many rocky deep points that are just about everywhere in the lake, you can usually catch a few walleyes as well. Not as much fun as stripes, but a whole lot better eating! I think this year will be a good one for the shad spawn. Hope to see ya out there!
Old 03-18-2007, 10:54 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyutah View Post
thanks for the repley miamijeff! I'll take your advice and gve it a go. we just had some rain and a cold font swept throuhg last night. we've been having soem cool weather. tongiht is going to be in the 40's .with water levels up, cool temps and spawing fish... sounds lik an awsome time to give night fishing a chance. i just may go fishing tonight.

LIGHTS?

Old 03-18-2007, 11:44 PM

Like zims question. Lights??? I dont go near light when it comes to stripers. I use the red light on the headlamp because it disappears at 10 feet. I hate the full moon even.
Although light draws in the baitfish stripers can use the shadows like structure. Around docks and stuff they lurk beneath.
The hydroglow is used by a lot of the sweetwater guys. I have no experience with it. It shines flourescent green and attracts bait. apparantly the predators move in on the dark edges of the lamp lights.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:27 AM

I don't think he's saying to use the lights to attract the stripes, just the baitfish. Or maybe that's how I'm reading it. I do agree with you guys about the darker the better though. Here at Cumberland I don't really fish at night all year round, so you guys would probably know better. But during the shad spawn, the dark cloudy nights almost always bring more surface action and more success then the full moon clear nights.

I think the guys I was talking, about with the lights, were using the white lights to draw in shad, which you know what happens next. I didn't know these guys so I'm just speculating on what they were doing. But they did say they were striper fishing. I only use a green light to draw in bait so I can catch them to use the following morning. The darkest nights are always my fav!

By the way, nice to chat with all of you. This is a great site with alot of really good fishermen. I really enjoy talking about some of the best fishing with so many others who love to stiper fish.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:10 PM

Fishing dock lights is a big time summer pattern at Smith lake in Alabama...bear in mind that the docks are sitting in very deep water(most times AT LEAST 40+ft.) and the baits are dropped down to around 20-24 ft on average.
I fished this way with a guide and later with a partner about 3 years ago. We tightlined gizzard shad and bream on circle hooks and carolina rigged egg sinkers....not my fave way to fish, but it worked.

— Jed Clampett
Old 03-20-2007, 04:41 PM

Night fishing for stripers is a blast in the tailrace. The current makes 10 lb. fish feel like 20 lbers. Spring and fall runs are great but the window to get them is to short here in NC (two weeks at best). I anchor in the strong current behind some rocks and freeline live shad to them, leaving the bail open and letting out line until they hit it, then close it and set the hook. These fish are caught in 5-6 feet of water. I do this all night or until they shut the wheels off at the dam. If things are slow I leave one rod out with the drag loose and continue with the above method. When it turns on, you can only work one rod. In the strong current you can use side planers to reach other spots w/o pulling anchor and moving. Side planers work good from shore if you don't have a boat, but frisky shad are the key here, from shore or a boat. I go through a pile of em with this method. Here shad can be caught easily with a cast net, and they are plentiful. I usually put five dozen in my tank and use most of them on each trip. Give it a try. Jim