Nova Scotia Striped Bass - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Canada
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Canada Eastern Canada - Discussion & reports

Old 02-06-2006, 06:55 PM

Default Nova Scotia Striped Bass

Scientists seek mystery fish-breeding ground
Feb 6 2006
CBC News
Maritime fish scientists want the public to help find the lost breeding grounds of the striped bass.
Striped bass used to breed in three rivers that empty into the Bay of Fundy, the Annapolis, the St. John and the Shubenacadie. But a tidal generating station on the Annapolis River and the Mactaquac hydro dam on the St. John have left the fish with only the Shubenacadie. Damage to that last breeding ground could lead to the extinction of the local population.

NOVA SCOTIA AGRICULTURE AND FISHERIES Factsheet: Striped Bass
Genetic testing, conducted by the Department of Fisheries and Oceans, has shown hints of another breeding population and scientists are looking to the public to help locate this mysterious breeding ground.
Rod Bradford, a fish scientist with the DFO, said DNA testing on striped bass from Mactaquac found fish that were different from other known populations, leading scientists to believe there is another population in the Bay of Fundy. But it is unknown which river is being used as a breeding ground. He said the fish like to mate and lay their eggs in rivers where fresh and salt water mix.

Bradford said members of the public should keep their eyes on the Annapolis and St. John rivers in May and June, as well as other rivers. Scientists are also interested in historic reports of striped bass spawning, because they don't know the exact location of the former breeding grounds.
The fish scientist said the sight of mating striped bass is unmistakable. Maine fisherman call it "rock-fish fights" and Nova Scotians say "the bass are tumbling." Bradford says there is a lot of activity and a great deal of splashing at the surface of the water around the mouths of rivers. Adult fish can grow to more than a metre long and can weigh up to 30 kilograms.
Public consultations are currently ongoing across the Maritimes. A decision as to whether the striped bass is placed on the threatened species list will be made in 2007.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2006, 03:31 PM

Default Fish tales send scientists to N.B.

Fish tales send scientists to N.B.
CBC News Nova Scotia

Scientists looking for the lost breeding grounds of the striped bass are being directed away from Nova Scotia and toward New Brunswick.
Genetic tests show a mystery population of bass breeding somewhere in the Bay of Fundy, and public reports are helping to narrow down the search area.
Fishing buddies Tim Pitt and Joe Gilliland say they'll never forget the spring morning when the surface of New Brunswick's Kennebecasis River came alive with stripers.
"There was hundreds of thousands of ripples going around everywhere and water splashing up and stuff, and it was pretty neat to see," Pitt said.
Rod Bradford, a scientist with the Department of Fisheries and Oceans in Halifax, hopes stories like Pitt and Gilliland's help lead him to the right spot.
"They're certainly interesting observations. The time of year and the water temperatures they've reported would be consistent with spawning conditions. It's interesting and encouraging," Bradford said.
Although Bradford still has questions about striped bass in the Annapolis River in Nova Scotia, all the public reports he has received are from the Saint John and Kennebecasis rivers in New Brunswick.
He says the next step is to observe the striped bass breeding, and sample fertilized eggs and baby fish in the water. He hopes to resume the search this spring.
The federal government is trying to decide if it will declare striped bass a threatened species. Confirming a second breeding population could change the outcome of that process.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:19 PM

I fish an area where I don't think the fish and game is on to yet. They are going to call them endangered!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2006, 04:41 AM
Reports and Info Dude
Got a Little Captain in you?

Congratulations to Nova Scotiafishing.com
on their Federal Fisheries Department?s Recreational Fisheries Awards.

CHESTER
Little did David Doggett know at the time, but when his dad took his hand and led the young lad to a favoured trout fishing spot in the Annapolis Valley, he was setting his son on a path that would ultimately have an impact on many others.
It continued to be a family affair with his wife Angela adopting her husband's passion for angling after he took her to one of his favourite fishing spots on their second date. "Well, she had to know," he says.
Today, Mr. Doggett has an even more important reason to see fish stocks revitalized. He'll be adding another far smaller fishing rod to the one he always carries in the back of the car, which will belong to their infant son.
Mr. Doggett has also spread his love for angling and concern for the environment through a website he and his wife created called www.novascotiafishing.com. The success of the couple's site earned them a place of honour at a ceremony in Parliament Hill last week as they were named one of five recipients of the federal Fisheries Department's Recreational Fisheries Awards.
The department says in a news release that the Doggetts were selected for their efforts to open up Nova Scotia's recreational fishery to the local community and beyond while promoting conservation efforts of all fish stocks.
Mr. Doggett said he likes to promote the benefits of catch and release, but his aim is to let anglers discuss the issues and not impose his thoughts on others. He said the website has evolved into an angler and educational forum that goes beyond what even he had hoped for.
"We now have 4,200 members registered, so they take part in discussions. And we're receiving 15,000 unique visitors a month," referring to people who go on the site to see what it has to offer.
"I didn't know much about the award until I was told I was one of the recipients," Mr. Doggett said. Several members of his website nominated the couple, citing their contributions in promoting recreational fishing and conservation methods.
"We are extremely honoured to have received it," he said.
Mr. Doggett said he is particularly concerned about Atlantic salmon, speckled trout and striped bass, all native to Nova Scotia, whose stocks have been harmed by acid rain and over-fishing.
Federal Fisheries Minister Loyola Hearn said in a press release, "This year's recipients are among the thousands of volunteers in Canada whose love for recreational fishing plays an important role in enhancing our fish and fish habitat.
Halifax Herald Limited
Old 12-23-2006, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Nova Scotia Striped Bass

I've seen activity like that on the Saint John River here in New Brunswick... But it was much later in the year, (June -July) and the bass involved all seemed to be small. I presume they were chasing baitfish to the surface, but the water was alive in patches 200' wide and sometimes 500' long. Tossing a lure into that guaranteed a fish on, but as I say, they were all small, in the 2-3 pound range.
Can someone who knows more about this than me tell me if this was spawning or (as I suspect) simply feeding.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:42 PM

I know where one healthy spawning population in New Brunswick is and it has produced fish up to 70lbs in the past. I've caught some fish in the 40" range this season and have seen pictures of larger. In the spring I'll anchor the boat and just watch the big stripers come up the river to the pool and once enough have arrived, the current is right and its dark enough they will start thrashing around and swimming along the surface, often in circles. The first couple times, we tried fishing to see if they were feeding on gaspereau, but they were not taking even live gaspereau. Often they'll swim close enough to the boat you could almost touch them. Once it is around 12-2am they get extremely active.

There is no doubt in my mind that this is not the only spawning population in the saint john river system. I've been told by those in the know that the studies conducted in the 70's and 80's were not carried out properly and very few have been done since. Those that have been done were not comprehensive in their search. I've seen big stripers spawning and they're in the river system from late april through until at least november, so to me there is no way there isn't a population of local fish.

The worst thing people could do now is tell the media about the suspected striped bass spawning they see on the rivers, then the meat eaters will over pressure those specific areas of the fisheries. Even if stripers get put on the endangered list, few or no studies will be carried out possibly resulting in a complete fishing ban on a fairly healthy sport fishery. They'll never stock stripers because the salmon anglers will complain. Not enough is being done to boost bay of fundy salmon stocks as it is, does anyone think they'll help stripers much? I doubt it.

Also, I noticed that this past season due to the attention the stripers got in the news as well as from tackle shops trying to sell more striper gear... many many new faces appeared on my local river following myself and other regulars around like shadows to their fishing holes and trolling in circles around our boats. (good thing I don't have a deck gun on my boat! )

We also need to stop keeping large stripers because they are often what I believe to be local spawning fish in certain river systems. Large stripers are full of mercury and other toxins that we really shouldn't eat. Meanwhile, the smaller stripers that travel in schools are what tend to be considered the migrants and they are more plentiful. Besides the fact that they are easier to catch for the average angler and contain less harmful toxins, it would make better sense to keep these fish in a slot limit size of around 24 to 32" and make this fishery have a tagging system like that of for atlantic salmon but have the tag limit at 10-12 per year and maybe one trophy (large striper) tag per year. This way we might stop some poachers from illegally keeping the small stripers which they generally can only catch in the locations they fish. Also, if there are people out there that catch more big stripers than schoolies. I probably get 4-5 keepers to every one undersize striper and I know there is a fair amount of good striper fishermen around here that do that or better. Imagine if people like that kept every big striper they could keep legally? Well, some people do... some stories I hear would scare the conservation minded anglers and often these people don't get caught. Our wardens have a hard time patrolling the heavily fished areas because most fishing is done at night or by boat and I know I've never ever seen a warden or DFO officer out in a boat checking people fishing on the tidal rivers.

There might be more than a couple of striped bass associations in the atlantic provinces, but yet there are too few in these associations to be heard loudly. It's about time someone came up with an east coast striper association with regional chapters (ie. North NB, South NB and the same for NS etc) That way everyone could be on the same page and present itself as a larger group of concerned citizens from a wider geographic range.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:40 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

hoorah! good post and well put.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:49 PM
Official Member

Great post!
Old 10-13-2008, 12:03 AM

I wonder if DFO is looking into stripers spawning in the Bras D'or lakes..
and whether or not they live in the Lake or make there way back out to sea..