Fly Fishing for Stripers in Northern Cal - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers on the Fly
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers on the Fly Discuss fly fishing for Striped Bass here. Fly tying, tips, tricks, reports, etc. Everything fly!

Old 02-19-2012, 07:27 PM
Official Member

Default Fly Fishing for Stripers in Northern Cal

I grew up on Long Island Sound (New York) fly fishing for Strippers mostly with red and white poppers as the fish were forced out of the Eel Grass on the out going tide, but that was 30 years ago and 3000 miles away. I have never fished for Strippers on this coast. I have a nice Med. weight rod with a #10 floating line and a so-so reel which does have a drag. ANY info or experiance that anyone has out there would be much appriciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 08:58 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Re: Fly Fishing for Stripers in Northern Cal

Nick curchione tells me how challenging it is for him out west. We complain about bluefish and he wishes he could lock into one there. I won't wanna be the guy who spooks ya off to another site but if my good buddy jim mancuso will chime in? He knows what to tell ya.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:29 AM
Official Member

Lotus 101.....You didn't say where you actually live in No..Cal...Makes a diffference...Hopefully near San francisco...Give me a location... Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 05:19 PM
Official Member

Thanks for your interest. I live near to Yuba City. Close to the Feather River.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Official Member

lotus 101... fishing is nowhere what it was years ago as you'll find out. I'll give you some areas to check out..I posted on the striper board under "fishing from Chico to Sac" it mentions Verone Marina & where the feather enters the Sac..r. also the American R. into the sac river. You are probably better off stopping at Star Bait & Tackle near Yuba where you live. You can purchase a map of the Sacramento River. They have some good ones that show pretty much everything for fishing, launches, parks, shore access etc. Another thing you can get is a fishing paper at this shop. It gives you report of fishing year around, but usually a week late. If you spend time and alittle money at these shops they will be more than happy to show you where the spots are and what gear to use in any specific area. You are right in the shad fishing where you live. Shanghi Bend, Princeton area, Theralito Outlet (above is good for steelhead, below is good for strippers, shad and salmon - but have to know when to go). Road 48 near Willows, American River is excellent. It is very accessable by car and shore fishing is easy. They even get striper during certain times of the year. They even get stipers bait fishing. These fish migrate from the Ocean into the Bay and into the Sacramento. The papers will tell you where they are at any given time. I do most of my fishing by boat, but there are accesses on the map that show where you can fish from the shore and you will also start recognizing the areas when you see them posted on the papers. Another good area on the Feather River is Gridley. Again , I fish by boat and don't loose too much gear. Shore fishiing anywhere on the Sac is alittle tough because of the rocks and stuff. I am sure the local papers and bait shops will keep you up to date.

These stripers migrate from the Delta (Franks Tract area, Mildred Island, etc ) during the winter and in spring they go to the San Francisco Bay. At this time, you can catch fish usually bait fishing anhd oplugs towards the bay. When in the Bay, this is my favorite kind of fishing. You can access these fish on either bait, flies or plugs and hair raisers (these are 1/2 oz to 1 oz banana jigs white with a 6" white worm tail on them. Most are schollies, as are fishery has been depleted to the water wars with the So. Calif Agri growers. They stay in the bay from April to June and then they migrate to the Ocean beaches where we use surf rods, etc., which is alot different than back East. Years ago these fish, when they were abundant , migrated from Southern California all they way to Oregon and Washington. At this time they usually stayed near the beaches, which made it nice to access them. They majority will stay between Half Moon Bay and the Marin area. This is a whole new ball of wax. Big rods, big reels and distance in heavy surf. In September/October these fish continue back into the bay for their return to the Delta. So you see, you can access these fish pretty much all year long, but you have to drive.

Salmon have been closed for the last couple of years, but are starting to make a comeback. We catch some off the shore around July, but mostly in boats out of the San Francisco bay and Half Moon Bay marinas. This was a fantastic fishery at one time.

Halibut. Since the stripers have been decreased a lot the fishermen are fishing for Halibut, which is pretty good now. That is strickly bait fishing, some by shore, mostly by boat. Occassionally they are caught by trolling Hoochies or deep diving plugs.

If there is anything I can help you with, just ask.

Jim Mancuso
Old 02-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Official Member

Jim,
Thank you for taking the time to out line the Striper, etc fishing in the area. I will definatly pick-up a copy of the Sacramamento river map. I have also heard good things about the Feather River and would like to look into that.
I love to fly fish for trout (Mostly Small) on the North Fork of the North Fork of the Yuba and thought that I might expand my horizons this year.
i will definatly post on my experiancse this spring..........Thanks again Benjamin
Old 02-24-2012, 02:48 PM
Official Member

lotus101....you had me rambling on about stripers...
trout fishing is pretty good on the upper yuba above the Hy#20 bridge...Good population of trout here..
Closer to home is n the town of Redding..where you see fishermen rt. off Hy#5..........Still on the Sac R. is Where Battle Creek comes in...& i wouldn't go too lt. on leaders as you have a good chance of hooking Steelhead at certain times,,,Can't keep steelhead, as they are protected now, This is for any Sac R, fishing...In the City of Redding is THE FLY SHOP rt. off Hy#5..Probably the top shop in the U.S.A...Worth stopping in when you have time..Very informitive....
Further up & east ofRedding is the Lewiston river , where is comes out of Trinity Dam...Stays a river flow before its a lake.also.. Good camping & Rentals at Lakeview lodge...Marina & boat rentals etc...Trout , landlocked salmon ., browns////Again good trout population, As the hatchery below lewiston dumps a lot ofextra fish in there..State record was in the lewiston lake i believe...Watch out for Bigfoot here..This area is great as there are many places to fish...And if you stay contacted with a shop or even a fishing type paper you'll see where the hot spots are at any given time.. I used to keep records of trips for future times ( dates ,phone numbers , flies etc) till my wife said enough is enough.It was the size of a phone book.. Jf you want, At the Fly Shop, there are group trips every so often , where they set up everything for you...Trip info , lodging ,& usually a member of the shop to assist everyone, as they have it all locked in..
......Good luck Ben, Jim
Old 02-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Official Member

Jim,
Thanks again, You are definatly correct that there are much larger and probably many more trout in the upper Yuba and I may try a trip up there later this sumer(I love to dry fly), but the Striper season is just around the corner. I never have tried to fly fish for stripers on this coast and I am "Chomping at the bit"to try to land one on a fly.
Tomorrow I am planning a trip to the Star Tackel Shop to pick-up a couple of maps and some Striper flies. Also I hope to get some inside info on the best places to fish from shore. Thanks again....Benjamin
Old 02-25-2012, 01:26 AM
Official Member

Theres a Fly Fishing Show this week end at Pleasanton Fairgrounds going on right now tru sunday..Would have a lot of info for you if you can make it...You can search it on internet for times & location..I'll try & make tomorrow ( Sat).Jim
Old 05-29-2012, 06:00 PM
Official Member

Exclamation Re: Fly Fishing for Stripers in Northern Cal

sorry to jump in here so late. I would like to add that O'Neil Forebay & San Luis Reservoir offer excellent opportunities to catch Stripers on a Fly. I caught one from O'Neil in my float tube ;)
Old 05-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Official Member

Robdog...you're right on about the two lakes..They're holding areas for the water thats going south for the So Cal Agri growers...Troubles is all the fish are going with it,,,Salmon don't survive , but everything else does...Tru the years , with abundace of food, shad , smelt & types of perch, these bass grow big...The state record was broken twice in a short period in the 66 plus pd record..Think another in about 70 pds also...these fish don't spawn in this waters, so as soon as our delta bass completly disapear, then that will also...Its a little further south near Morgan Hill, but worth the trip..Check the web site, I believe they have a wind forecast number, which could save a wasted trip..They chase you off the lakes when the winds reach a unsafe condition(which is fairly often)..Theres also a Santa Nella bait shop you can call for info..They carry all the gear & bait you'll need...Also have motels & restaurants for overnite stay...Hope this helps, Jim