Fishing report Staten Island blues - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 05-17-2005, 11:27 AM

Default Fishing report Staten Island blues

Roy G and I caught over a dozen blues off a pier on the east side of Staten island. All on bunker chunks. They wouldn't touch the herring or mackerel. 3 nice sized, the rest small to medium. We got there late 3 hours after high tide, so we missed the ideal time (got a little lost). We saw guys wheeling coolers full of nice sized blues. We experienced slow steady action and the fishing turned on again at sunset. Also, caught 2 sea robins (flying fish?) and the usual assortment of rays. Roy G caught a huge ray that i had to use my snagging rope to bring up. He had 65 pound power pro but that stuff is impossible to grip. Oh yeah, if you're gonna use a shock leader on your power pro don't forget to put your work gloves back on--the knot will cut you (dope!). We did not see any stripers hooked. There were schools of bunker at low tide around 11pM-12PM that were running into the lines making you think that you had something biting. The pier was pretty crowded in the afternoon, but it wasn't that bad b/c most guys were cool headed about tangled lines and relatively careful. This changed when a group of jerks came at around 11PM. The pier had become more sparse by then and some guys had parked about 15 yards from Roy G, but the wind had picked up and they ran into Roy G's lines several times. One of these jerks got angry at Roy G and showed him, "Watch I'm casting straight and you're interfering in my lines" The wind had picked up and these guys were using 3 oz. bank sinkers and their lines were crossing way over towards us. They should have used heavier weights or used a pyramid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2005, 04:29 PM

Thats awesome...I can't wait 'till they get here! :D
Old 05-17-2005, 04:43 PM

Default Bunker Stink!

I came back to my apartment in the afternoon and something stunk. it smelled like old fish. It smelled like I left some bait or some fish goo somewhere. I looked all over. Finally I sat down on my couch to think where it could be coming from. I smelled it everywhere. i couldn't figure it out. I still smelled it when I was sitting on my couch. I knew that I did not have any rotting bunker hiding under my couch. I followed my nose in front of me and I spotted it. The source!--The bottom of my sneakers had bunker goo caked onto it and I guess by mid-day the next day it had become pretty ripe. On this pier alot of guys just made their chunks right on the pier and there was alot of it smashed all over the place. Plus, there was alot of fish being caught so there was lots of blood etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2005, 04:56 PM
Pro Staff

LOL,, surprised ya didn't stain the carpet on your way in! Bunker Goo ,, hmm,, what else could that describe??
Old 05-17-2005, 07:58 PM
Striper Hunter

sweet man glad ya found the fish and the way out to staten island here. good luck.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:13 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

glad to see you had fun