Northern Aqueduct Fishing? - Page 8 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > California - Lakes, Rivers, Bay and Delta > California Aqueduct
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 03-18-2013, 01:29 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Northern Aqueduct Fishing?

Yes i was fishing at the dam. I went again that weekend and caught 5 trout in 3 hours. four of them were around 15 inches and one was ten inches. I am going there tomorrow. Hope the bite is still on. I have been fishing with a new two hook rig. I use slip sinker rig i snell a hook six inches down on the leader then another at eighteen inches. I didn't know if the top hook would catch fish but i found that it hooked them fine and i have been getting more bites having two baits in the water. I want to try the same rig in the ducts for strippers and catfish.
Tight lines,
Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 01:53 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike56 View Post
Yes i was fishing at the dam. I went again that weekend and caught 5 trout in 3 hours. four of them were around 15 inches and one was ten inches. I am going there tomorrow. Hope the bite is still on. I have been fishing with a new two hook rig. I use slip sinker rig i snell a hook six inches down on the leader then another at eighteen inches. I didn't know if the top hook would catch fish but i found that it hooked them fine and i have been getting more bites having two baits in the water. I want to try the same rig in the ducts for strippers and catfish.
Tight lines,
Mike

Two hook hasn't been working for me at the duct. Single hook with sliding weight with x large or jumbo minnow has worked really good for me. At times all it took was ac couple minutes
Old 03-18-2013, 02:51 AM
Striper Hunter

I have been using 3/4 or 1 oz inline sinkers with 4/0 circle 12' below the sinker with med rod with a fast tip. I have been using big hunk of fresh chicken liver for bait. I was thinking having more bait in the water might attract more fish. The hooks work great with the rod i am using. The hooks set them self's on the fishes lips makes it easy to release undersized fish without harming them
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 11:36 PM
Striper Hunter

I caught four trout at the res today. Nice fish two were over a pound and the other two 3/4 pound. Had a good time. I got invited to fish a privet lake on Thurs it is full of big large mouth bass and big catfish lots of 10# and 15# catfish the biggest catfish they have caught there 48#. It should be fun. I can't wait to get back out to the ducts those strippers are fun to catch.
Tight lines
Mike

Old 03-19-2013, 12:12 PM
Striper Hunter

Nice catch Mike. What do you guys use to fish for trout?
Old 03-19-2013, 04:18 PM
Striper Hunter

Thank you, I have been using Hatchery Pellet Power Bait last year i was using Garlic Power Bait. I not even sure it matters what power bait you use as long as it is fresh. On the Kings river i use Salmon eggs. Fish and game has planted a lot fish right now the fishing should be good on most of the lakes in CA.
Tight lines,
Mike
Old 03-20-2013, 12:22 AM
First Mate

Have hit the cali aquaduct three times since saturday and the soft bait swim shad is knocking them dead. 3/4 ounce swim bait with 10 lb. line and a trout pole went after work today and the first three fish were landed in ten minutes . They were inhaling the lure right before the rain started. It's a kick in the as# to watch them chase it to the bank.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:26 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Tight lines,
Mike

I use a rig like your for trout i'll use salmon eggs on the hook closest to the weight and a #16 trebel on the upper hook about 18 to 24 inches up. Can't figure out how to keep the power bait on a single hook well enough.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:31 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnfield11 View Post
Have hit the cali aquaduct three times since saturday and the soft bait swim shad is knocking them dead. 3/4 ounce swim bait with 10 lb. line and a trout pole went after work today and the first three fish were landed in ten minutes . They were inhaling the lure right before the rain started. It's a kick in the as# to watch them chase it to the bank.
I tried that today. Didnt have luck. I got a couple bites with rattle trap. And got a 16 inch striper with a blood worm. Gates were up today so water was flowing decent. Expect the fishing to be better this weekend with all the new flow.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:36 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjimenez2013 View Post
Yeah my cell has a nice camera 12 megapixels. Mendota has 2 canals? Today the gates were open in the huron area somewhat and that allowed alot of tumble weeds to flow. Horrible day to fish. I was out there maybe a hr and lost a rig, had to cut it. Thought id fish with a rattle but still got a bunch of weeds. Then just called it a day. I did get a catch 17 inch no keepers
your in the avenal area ? up here we have the california aquaduct and the mendota aquaduct run side by side . if one is flowing to hard try the other .is avenal south of the town Mendota?
Old 03-20-2013, 12:48 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
your in the avenal area ? up here we have the california aquaduct and the mendota aquaduct run side by side . if one is flowing to hard try the other .is avenal south of the town Mendota?
yes, About a hr away from mendota. Ive been out there tho. To the slough tho. havent been to the duct up there. Think ill have to try it.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:40 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
I use a rig like your for trout i'll use salmon eggs on the hook closest to the weight and a #16 trebel on the upper hook about 18 to 24 inches up. Can't figure out how to keep the power bait on a single hook well enough.
Just a heads up in Ca you can fish with up to three hooks. They consider a trebel hook to be three hooks. You can only use more than one treble hook on a lure. I trout fish with #8 bait holder hooks I need the power bait with my fingers then press in on covering the whole hook leaving no cracks or voids. Before i cast in my line in i put the power bait in the water for a few minutes it makes the bait stay on the hook better and i can see if the power bait is floating. I re bait every 20 minutes to half hour to keep the sent fresh. If you reel in real fast it well wash the power bait off as you real in.

It good to hear you are doing good at the ducts. I know the spot you are fishing i have yet to try it. I have been fishing a spot like yours it a little south of were you fish. I have always been a bait fisherman. I bought some lures to try i am going to see if i can learn how to use them.
Tight lines,
Mike
Old 03-20-2013, 07:46 PM
Striper Hunter

Caught 2 stripers today. 1 on soft swimming shad lure that has the separators s it has that natural swimming motion. And 1 on a blood worm. Was only out there about 30mins
Old 03-20-2013, 11:13 PM
Striper Hunter

Thanks for the duct report. Sounds the bite is on. I can't get out there this week. Maybe Monday i can get out there.
Tight lines,
Mike
Old 03-20-2013, 11:16 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Thanks for the duct report. Sounds the bite is on. I can't get out there this week. Maybe Monday i can get out there.
Tight lines,
Mike
Water is still flowing good. Think its going to get good here in the next few days. Anchovies for me atleast are not working at all. I have sardines(blue bag) big ones that im going to cut up this weekend. But live bait is killing it in the ducts.