Advice on a rod - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:57 AM

Default Advice on a rod

I'm looking for a rod that will eventually be teamed up with a VS200. My passion for fishing isn't going anywhere so I might as well spend the money and get some great equipment. I plan on being a bit more adventurous this season, doing some rock hopping and perhaps getting a guide to take me out to Montauk just to get me acquainted.

The rod should be 2 pieces, and should be able to throw a lure of at least 1 ounce. On the other end I think 4 oz should be enough for what I would like to do with this rod. I'm throwing bombers and wood, essentially with some pencil popping mixed in there. Some advice from the local shop are the following:

1) SU 1064S-2 Surf Rod 10' 6"
2 Piece / Line Weight: 15-30 / Lure Weight: 1-4oz
Power: Heavy / Action: Moderate / Spin (Rogue)

2)

Model Color Length Line Weight Lure Weight Action Power Handle Item# MSRP
Surf Rods Matte Black 10'6" 15 - 40 1 - 5 Fast Heavy 34 10426-01 $295.00

34 (G-loomis)

I'm leaning towards G-loomis because of the lifetime warranty. What are your thoughts? Any other suggestions will certainly be noted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2008, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Advice on a rod

My favorite rod, by FAR, in this range is the AnyFish AnyWhere 11' Estuary Rod. Casts like a cannon and has great fish fighting ability.
Within a year of getting it I sold my Lami XS 101 MS and retired my Kennedy Fisher 8720 to backup status.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:02 PM
Striper Hunter

Thumbs up Re: Advice on a rod

I'll second the Loomis!
I hit the same cross roads as you but 8years ago.I wasn't sure on what to buy because of all of the choices peoples prefrance's which got me really cofused,so with all of the info & pressure I just went with my gut and bought the Loomis.
I have the casting version 2 piece Surf Series 1267C 10'.5" but rated up to 8oz.for the past 7yrs. this rod has been my primary goto rod for the C.C.Canal
I use this rod for Plugs,tin's,jig's and driftitng eels it's pretty versital dispite the ratings on it
.Infact I just bought a new reel for it (Calcutta 700TE)I can't wait to use this new set up,it's gonna be an awesome year I can just smell it!

G-loomis has been around for awhile the products are tried & true with great Mojo!

5/0
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2008, 03:35 PM

For the price your paying for a loomis or a lami you may as well have one built for your needs.Most rod builders know exactly what your looking for as soon as you tell them how you fish and what you plan on using.I'm in the middle of getting one built for my vs250 also.Estimated cost a little over 300.It will be my first and if all goes well it won't be my last.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:33 PM
Striper Hunter

I forgot to mention this.
G-Loomis is the only manufacture that offers a Life time Warranty,that means when you brake it and no matter how many years you've owned it just mail it back w/ $50 & once they recive it they will overnight FedX it to you.

5/0
Old 04-06-2008, 07:06 PM

Lami has the same lifetime warranty but it's only $20.
I just sent back two broken custom rods that are easily 10 years old, one of which they haven't made in decades. Sent one $20 check to cover shipping and handling back to me and they replaced them with their new top of the line 10wt fly rod blank (I requested it since they no longer make either of the broken rods)

This warranty does NOT apply to their low end imported rods. I think that warranty is 2 years.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:12 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
Lami has the same lifetime warranty but it's only $20.
I just sent back two broken custom rods that are easily 10 years old, one of which they haven't made in decades. Sent one $20 check to cover shipping and handling back to me and they replaced them with their new top of the line 10wt fly rod blank (I requested it since they no longer make either of the broken rods)

This warranty does NOT apply to their low end imported rods. I think that warranty is 2 years.
$20 can't beat that!It is great when big Co. own up to their words.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:05 PM

Yea I got one back from lami and one from St. croix. same $20.
Keep in mind that St. Croix surf rod warranty is only five years. The model year is stamped above the butt.
Tough finding a rod tube for them so dont throw away any when you have them. I sent mine in a PVC tube. Cuts easy with a hacksaw. The french drains are lighter and cheaper. I covered the holes with duct tape.
My breaks were in the flex.
The fish going under a boat or a pier.