Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Spray paint

Tags
paint spray
11K views 60 replies 11 participants last post by  Roccus 
#1 ·
I'm getting ready to buy a few plug kits. Before I do I wanted to know if you could use canned spray paint, and if so what brand. Also what sealer and epoxy would you guys recommend? Thanks in advance

Khary23

#2 ·
you can definately use spray cans,just try to use the same brand to insure compatabilty if you plan on using 2 or more colors per plug.as for sealing and epoxy... boy ,lots of choices.i use boiled linseed oil cut with mineral spirits in about a 60/40 mix. for epoxy envirotex lite(any good paint store or craft store)these arent your only options,far from it .search this site and others and observe safety practices with the BLO,if you go that way .too much infoto cover in one post so look around and have fun. cant wait to see them!thumbsup.gif

#4 ·
i just use ace hardware spray enamel, like 2.99 a can but ithink you could use just about anything.like i said before you just gotta make sure different colors from different brands arent going to react with one another badly,you really dont know till you try.i ve come up with some pretty cool color combos by mistake and also have had some blister and bubble also. dont forget to prime also,either spray or dip.again ,search around , lots of better builders than me out there and they have all got their methods that work for them. i tend to keep my color schemes simple.but with modest effort you will be surprised how well they come out .and take fish also(always a plus).i think i see a lathe in your future!thumbsup.gif

#9 ·
Hey guys just finished soaking in the sealer. I had one more question what do you use to mix the epoxy?

#11 ·
again khary,if you are using the e-tex, just mix it as close to equal as you possibly can.do it in a heated (not too warm enviroment)dust free. try smallbatch first.and if the stuff starts too get too tacky after a couple of plugs dont try to do just one more.tf after 24 hrs they are still tacky your mix was not even,simply mix new batch and do it again.i dont know if you are using a spinner, if not you can flip them every once in a while until the stuff is set up enough. post some pics!!!:smile:

#12 ·
I think I'm going to be useing the flip method. seeing how I love in an apartment I'm kinda tight on space. I got the plugs drying from the sealer now so I guess the paint starts in a week or so. Thanks for every ones help. I will definitely post pictures when they are done.

#13 ·
khary, one more thing i forgot to mention, the e-tex can give off some fumes ,nothing too crazy but it cant be good for ya. if your doing this in a small unventilated space, take whatever precautions you can. i gotta batch i sealed fri so hopefully ill get em painted next week end and then sealed.were running out of weeks here and thats a good thing!cant wait to see them!

#14 ·
Thanks for the heads up mully. I guess I'll try to do that part out side. I need all the brain cells I have left.

#15 ·
forgot to ask, how long will the boiled linseed oil/ mineral spirits mixture last in a sealed pail?

#16 ·
funny you ask,prior to dipping this most recent batch i looked at the pail that ive used for the past 2 years and figured it was time to refresh it.im not sure that i had to though.if you know enough to keep it in a sealed container im sure you know the combustability and fire hazard, so be safe we dont want these plugs burned up before we or the fish see them!

#17 ·
I just went though researching how to do this and this is what I am using...

Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane for sealer. Cut down with mineral spirits for dense woods - uncut for others. Soak, drip off, then wipe down. Dry in 24 hours.

Hit shiny spots with scotch-brite pad.

Zinsser BIN primer (red lable) - dip or foam brush. Dry in less than 24 hours.

BIN some scraps. Experiment with rattle cans on scraps to check for compatibility between rattle cans. :icon_stirthepot: This also give you a chance to experiment with technique.

That BIN seems to be highly compatible with most all rattles I have used ($1-$6).

#23 ·
What I've found happens, after its been exposed to air multiple times, it starts to dry gummy,even if you reitroduce new mineral spirtits... when I see this happening... I dump it... it's eaiser for me than most seeing as I run the maintenance of a large facility, and one of my departments just happens to be dealing with waste treatment and hazzardous waste..

#24 ·
I got it in a covered in a 2 quart pail I got at home depot.

I had another question after the sealer has been drying for a few days should the wood return to its pre-soak color? I just looked at them for the first time since I soaked'em and they don't look like they have any thing on them.

#28 ·
E te is a pain to use , especially for a guy just doing a few . I would go with the 2 ton 30 minute Devcon

My .02
Etex gives a better finish, if you mix it properly, warm it up to 70 or a little more, and rotate or flip the plugs you will have no issues... Devcon tends to yellow in time..also consider this... the faster something hardens, the harder it gets, Devcon is more brittle than Etex which tends to be more elastic, due to it's slow cure..

Different woods, even in the same lots, look different, some, like you said, look like they havent been touched, heart wood, especialy WRC, get alot darker.

#27 ·
khary,
My can of BLO/spirits is over a year old, I noticed it was thickening up a bit, so I just added a bit more spirits, other than that, it's been fine, and still works, I just tested a couple of unpainted plugs last night, no water intrusion.

#29 ·
when i started doing this a couple of years ago i used devcon or a similar epoxy ,i cant remember. it worked ,but as roc said it has definately yellowed and in some cases is flaking off. a box of the e-tex is around 30 bucks i think ,and if you are only doing a few plugs here and there, it will probably last you for life.anther good tip which i just started doing is to warm it up like roc said . theres been a lot said on this in other posts and some great info.

#30 ·
A tip on warming E-tex, I'm happy to share.
After I thoroughly mix the carefully measured amounts in my mixing can, I fill a pan with hot water out of the tap, around 100 degrees. I put the mixing pot into the pan. In about 5 to 10 minutes the mixture has warmed and thinned, but better yet all the air bubbles from the mixing process have released.
I especially appreciate this when I am doing epoxy fly patterns.

#31 ·
They sell small bottles of Etex, I saw some 4 ounce bottles a few weeks back when I was looking for QUARTS !

Warming it up makes all the differance in the world.. the stuff becomes a whole different chemical, much eaiser to work with...

I just warm the bottles in my spinner before I mix it, at the same times I warm the plugs as well, the combo of the two makes appication a snap....

Tomorrow I promise to have the pictures of my new spinner up... you guys are going to LOVE it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.