Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
5K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  JakeF 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Planning to start my surf fishing side of life this fall with a week at Montauk in October. In preparation for this, I have purchased a shimano ultegra ci4 5500 reel and a st croix mojo 10'6'' mh 2-6 oz Rod. Will this work out well for me in your opinion? Thanks for all the help in advance as I am horribly excited to get everything together to try and catch a cow this fall!!

#5 ·
So I decided to take things a different way. I have all intentions of donning a wetsuit and being a rock copper come October and having heard this news I have decided to sell my current set up and purchase new. Here's the new rig..

Van stall x series 250 reel
Laminglas Ron arra 1322-2 11 foot Rod .. My hope is that I will be able to submerse this at will and essentially that better cannot be bought. Is this the truth of things?

#6 ·
So I decided to take things a different way. I have all intentions of donning a wetsuit and being a rock hopper come October and having heard this news I have decided to sell my current set up and purchase new. Here's the new rig..

Van stall x series 250 reel
Laminglas Ron arra 1322-2 11 foot Rod .. My hope is that I will be able to submerse this at will and essentially that better cannot be bought. Is this the truth of things?
Now you're talkin' :icon_thumright:

My rig... ZeeBaas & AFAW Estuary (which sadly is no longer available).

#8 ·
Not necessarily... It all depends on how you plan to fish. You're new to surfcasting and this is your first time doing it in Montauk. I think if I were you I'd take it easy and learn the ropes before pushing the limits to where a wet suit becomes a required piece of kit. There are plenty of places around Montauk, in fact most readily accessible spots there, where I've felt perfectly comfortable fishing in waders with a dry top.

That's the thing,, if you go there with waders and expect to get a decent spot, you better have a dry top on over it and a good set of spikes on your feet or you WILL slip on the rocks and end up with waders full of water. If you don't have Korkers or an equivalent piece of equipment, get them, whether you go with a wetsuit or a waders/dry top combo. Nothing like a nasty slip on the slimy rocks and a broken arm or leg to ruin a fishing trip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.