How to use Ava jigs in the surf - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Default How to use Ava jigs in the surf

I've read alot of stripers are caught on Ava jigs by surf fisherman especially so up at IBSP I fish sea isle mostly and never caught anything on an Ava I wanted some feed back on the proper ways of using these jigs when surf fishing. Tks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: How to use Ava jigs in the surf

Mu fish, 007 and 17's are great sizes for the beach, usually use with surge tube hooks and teaser up front or not your choice. I cast them out a nd just try different speed retrieves you can twitch em or just steady retrieve them. Even bouncing them along the sand works sometimes. They imatate sandeels perfectly and typically the sand eel run is when I use them the most, but spearing and rainbait runs will also call for them but I then use Hopkins or Pt. Judes to match the hatch. Good luck they take a lot of fish from the beach that is for sure. CHefBX
Old 11-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Striper Hunter

AVA27 green tube .. straight retrieve for me .. i like to work may way down the speed ill make 2 casts fast retrieve then work my speed down to the point where the jig is bouncing off the bottom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 11:14 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Here one of my issues I throw a ava 17 and I use moderate retrieve but as soon as it hits bottom it feels like I'm reeling in the whole bottom sea floor I try to twitch it like a bucktail but it jus feels like it's dug in so deep it never bounces off the bottom until I come in over the outer bar then I feel more in control. Sandeels r bottom dwellers right? I have seen them swimming at the top also especially at the inlets. I always here of lots of fish being taken with Ava jigs and I jus want to learn how to use it correctly as I have switched to using maily lures in the surf opposed to dead sticking. I jus find it more challenging.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Striper Hunter

Mu , you will have to play with the size tins you throw, but sounds like you need to just retrieve steadily and keep your rod tip high, I would not let it drag the bottom to hard, basically just skid it along the sand. Are you fishing sand beaches or mixed bottom? It shouldt be that hard. Sand eels swim in schools and burrow in the sand, you can find them in differnt depths along the beaches. It will take a little learning curve but one of the easier lures to use. Good luck. ChefBX
Old 11-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Tks I'll be trying hard this week with them let u know
Old 11-30-2011, 03:19 PM
Striper Hunter

Default it's the same as most lures you fish

take 3 cranks on your reel & then give your rod a twitch. pause a split second after the twitch & then repeat the process. i have had a GREAT November. all on a green AVA 27 or 47.
IMHO A-17 will get smaller fish because they swim higher in the water column.
I say this because i fished with a buddy who threw A17's all week & i was 10 yards away launchin 27's & 47's & each time my bass was bigger.
Till he switched to 27's, then he got larger bass.
Play around with the retrieve speed also but stick with 3 cranks & one twitch.
AVA's a with a black tail smash it at night! I bounce it off the sand.
It's important to have a far cast. 10 ft pole is what i use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	388275_2065800699385_1675814702_1419203_2052214651_n.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	15710  
Old 12-06-2011, 05:30 PM
Official Member

i love messing with tins when i get the chance and i'll try a few different retrieves the few times a year when im out during the day. first is a straight retrieve. i'll try slow and fast. next i'll throw in a twitch or two on the retrieve. then maybe vary retrieve speeds sometimes i'll let the tin settle on the bottom then give it a good jerk to kick up some sand (excellent sand eel imitation). next if there is a good sweep and you have some room around you, cast out and just let the tin go with the sweep as it bumps bottom (similiar to inlet bucktailing). i usually try to work the tin in this manner just behind or in front of the offshore bar and also the lip of the beach. its all about experimenting.