Getting Started fishing in Northern Mass - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. > Shorebound - Surf Beginners
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Shorebound - Surf Beginners Information for the Shorebound angler

Old 10-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Getting Started fishing in Northern Mass

hello everyone. I have just started getting into surf casting with very little success. I can probably attribute this to the fact I really have no idea what I am doing. I dont really know anyone else who does this to learn from. So I am finding fishing spots from google maps based upon parking locations, and I am trying random things on techniques I find online. I dont really know what I am looking for in a fishing spot in terms of sand bars, rocks, etc. I am going to join the local surf casters club at the next meeting in a few weeks but in the meantime I am hoping I can get some advice.

So maybe to cut through the junk can someone suggest and 'easy' way to get into this? Something to know I am not doing something obviously wrong. Stripers would be nice to catch but some blues are also fun to fight either or for me. I have been trying mainly low tide night time fishing in the Crane beach area (Great Neck) area with live eels. No special rig just a 18" leader to a snap swivel.

I am planning on trying the plum island wildlife refuge on Sunday (Low tide is around 7:30AM and thats when I plan on getting out to the beach). For those familiar with the area is the ocean or the plum island sound side better to fish? Is it worth my effort to try a bloodworm or clams on a steel leader for some blues? Should I be using a floater rig? I have read stripers like to feed near the surface during the colder months. What about a fish finder rig with a 3oz pyramid weight?

I am probably over thinking all this because I have read far too much about this online. I know its questions like this are taboo and no one wants to give up thier spots they go fishing in etc. so if you dont want to post a response, maybe a private message would work. I do very much appreciate the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2010, 07:56 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Getting Started fishing in Northern Mass

HI first off you have a spining rod and reel to start, dont give up, try not to use bait till later.if to can see rocks, cobble bottom at low tide and know that thier are good rips, movein water around the stuff , even at the lower tides it is a good place to try. try fishingthe out going tide after it starts moveing the last 3/4 of the out going are my favorite, you cant allway fish what you like tide wise, dont fish at low tide you wasting your time. 3 hours wirth!!!! the least 3/4 of the up comeing tide is good to. -try useing some lures,slug-gos 9" rig weedless pack will tell you how, fish it slow. do not wsim it!! reel in let sink jig it up let fall, reel in doing the same ,all the way in try throwing a bomber long A. SWIMER cast by the eages of the rips moveing water.....it may be to later in the season for poppers. darters are good to in moveing water. gibbs, north bar, super strike, dedly dicks to cast in to bait schools 2 oz are good. bucktails with pork trailer. that a bit harder some one needs to show you. remember--on the edgeas of moveing water. and the calm spots by the moveing water.----no dead tides....get some lures to start.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Striper Hunter

Okay well another weekend of fishing skunked again... not even a nibble

Sunday I went to Gloucester at Sunrise (low tide) there were a few other guys out on the rocks. I tried some clams and worms quickly with no success, switched to a popper for a bit, and a few swimmer lures on some slow retrives. Nada. This morning I tried Plum Island with clams and worms. Not even a nibble from a curious bluefish

I will try the incoming high tide and out going high tide this week / weekend with another try. Worms / clams seem to be working from the fishing reports and bait shops around here, so might stick with that.

Is it worth hitting the tide change if its mid-dayish due to lighting conditions?

And why use lures rather than bait to start off? I have always thought bait was easier. Just sling it out there and let them come to you. With lures you have to worry about presentation etc

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2010, 12:05 AM
First Mate

Welcome to the ever exciting, aggrivating and exhilerating world of striper fishing. People will say baits better some will say lures...try and take a look at what baits around. Imitating it is very important. Also any time your fishing is a good time cause you never know and you should learn something ever time you go out. I've had skunking teach me things that helped me catch fish the next. Low tide will tell you a lot about rocks or if sandy, where your troughs or depressions are that are going to hold fish later on at high. I've always like a few hours before and after high tide as its moving water on both side-especially around river mouths or bays. Clams are always a good bait especially in rougher seas. Keep at it and soon as the window of opportunity is closing. Eels at night is never a bad thing, work them slow and slower and post some pics (but not spots) when you get them. Have fun.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:17 PM
Striper Hunter

Live eels at night in the fall are the way to go.
How are you hooking them up? What kind of hook?
How are you fishing them?
Can you feel them swimming through the tip of your rod?

Increase your leader length to 30" or so using fluorocarbon.
What kind of line are you using?

Last week I found a pattern of fish at night. 3 straight nights of long and chunky fish. Then I got sick (mono) and am still recovering. I am hoping they are still there when I get back out this weekend
Old 10-13-2010, 08:00 PM
Striper Hunter

if you guys will klick on the top of the page --fishing site map, thier is a lot of articals by very good fisherman on eels lures so on....very good reading...
Old 10-14-2010, 07:14 PM
Striper Hunter

To answer the questions:
I did try eels and yes I could feel them on the end of the rod. I am using 30lb braid for my main line with a 18" flurocarbon 30 lb leader to a 5/0 circle hook. Hooked them through the jaw and out one eye.

No luck but I was fishing the low tide. I did get one hit (fish didnt feel too big) but got a bit over excited and didnt really set the hook. I've literally only caught one striper in my life from a charter boat and never from the surf so I suppose it can be expected

I didnt think I was really fishing in a good spot either but I did get one hit. I dont know many night spots to go to so thats a complicating part. Kinda chasing fishing reports and looking for beach access on satellite maps

Is it worth to keep trying at this point in the year? I am taking off the next 2 weekends for various events and work trips. So I wouldnt get back to fishing till the 1st week in November. Any fish left around here?

And I have read basically all the articles on the beginner striper fishing especially surf fishing. I am just getting a bit overwhelmed with all the data and looking for a more specific shot as to what works around these parts.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Striper Hunter

You are on the right track and yes fish will still be around especially if the water temps stay up

Regarding the eels. When you feel the first hit that that usually is the striper stunning the eel with a tail slap. When you feel that stop reeling and bow your rod tip down towards the water. On the next hit pull up hard and set that hook deep

OR

The other thing that stripers could do is they try to manuever the eel with their mouths to take it in head first. So it may almost feel like small gentle tugs. Set this right away so that your hook does not get down into the stripers gut

And remember when using eels to keep your rod tip straight up and go slow...very very slow and then even slower than that
Old 10-16-2010, 09:12 AM
Striper Hunter

So is there a more refined tide and or lighting condition beneficial to eels?

Should I be waiting till its pitch dark out or start at dusK?
Old 10-16-2010, 10:08 AM
First Mate

As soon as you'd like. If blues aren't around the bass will find your eels. I've caught stripes on eels in the middle of the day but at dusk-all night and into morning is best.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:14 AM
Striper Hunter

I wouldn't mind getting a few Blues as well. How would a steel leader effect eel fishing?
Old 10-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Striper Hunter

In my opinion eels are best in the dark of the night in deeper water. I like to let them hit bottom and then keep working them just off the bottom trying to bump into and around structure. If you can find a drop off cast out beyond the drop off and let them settle down into the hole and work them slowly up the ledge

Steel leaders? I am not a fan of them and have never lost a fish due to not using them. Bluefish tend to eat an eel from the tail up so you know if one is biting at your eel. If there are bluefish biting at your eel there is a strong possibility that the stripers are also there but are down deeper in the water column looking for scraps that fall to the bottom. I have caught many stripers with an eel half eaten that I let get down to the bottom below the bluefish

PS I would use a 6/0 octopus hook
Old 10-16-2010, 01:00 PM
Striper Hunter

I'll give that a shot next weekend I have some time to fish.

Thanks for all the tips guys. I'll certainly post my results.