Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Fish

Tags
fish
4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  zimno1 
#1 ·
Well, is anyone catching anything? confused.gif
It won't take much to outfish me, the last 2 weeks maybe 10 fish, and the smallest one was, well, embarassing. It had to hit the teaser, it could never get it's lips around the jig I had on.
Got that one yesterday morning around dawn, got one more tonight 24" or so, my buddy got one about the same size, and he missed a fish that he said felt pretty good.
I fished 8 hours on Sunday without a touch, that sucked, especially since people were catching on Sat, when I couldn't go.
So, what are you guys doing?

#2 ·
we had three on the boat on Sunday along with some nice sized blues. Things were really promising in the morning, but then it just shut down. With the holidays coming, I guess I have to get the boat out, which really kills me. There are tons of herring around, I wonder with this mild weather we are having will keep them around for a while.

#3 ·
nothing for me, i went out with the fly rod and scoured the inlet and back of the harbor as well as the flat by my house and not a bump. nice to be out in such great weather. i didn;t even care if i caught one as fishing in december never felt so relaxing. people watching me waist high in the suds were probably just calling me assorted names, one lady said "aren't you cold?" i just said YA THINK?shake.gif shake.gif shake.gif shake.gif shake.gif shake.gif

#5 ·
herring everywhere by me. i was flyrodding and switched to plugging and followed them down the beach but nothing on them. wanted to snag a few but was lokking for a bass with no takers. the big boys should be hovering around about now but where they will pop up is anyones guess.

#7 ·
My mission to capture (1) that's right ONE lousy keeper striper this fall continues, and even tho the mission failed yesterday, I still had a good day of fishing for a change. Started with the Sat. morning shift, thru the sunrise, with bunker and plugs, the shads and swimmers won hands down, 3 fish on the pluggage and not a tap on the bait. Missed 3 or 4 more on the plugs that came unbuttoned for one reason or another. After unhooking one of the fish, on the next cast, my chicken scratch bomber comes flying off on the next cast.....luckily, it came off behind me and was just laying on the beach, with my snap and an inch of leader. Re-tied, and on the next cast the whole leader/teaser/snap/bomber mess goes flying off......windknot. Oy. So, I climb up the jetty to see if I can get a look, maybe snag it, but no such luck. Climbing back down the jetty, took a fall, plug bag opened and plugs go everywhere. I shoved them all back in the bag ( I thought) and go on my way. When it's time to switch plugs, I realize that the plug bag won't move, it's firmly attached to the back of my sweatshirt.....??????? Seems one of my big wooden swimmers was stuck to my shirt after the fall, and when I slung the plug bag back there, it hooked up angry5.gif Got the hell out of there before I could do any more damage to myself or my gear.

Evening shift was better, caught 15+ fish, including a double header that I was hoping would be the keeper, but no......We had bait, looked like herring, flippy-flopping right in front of us for an hour or so, and we continued to catch schoolies while that went on, then about 30-40 yards out, they started flipping around out there, that was the first signs of bait or fish that wasn't right in the wash, in weeks.We put on some larger swimmers and went after them, hoping for some larger fish, till I threw a $30 Dingbat bright yellow swimmer out there, windknot hung up the line and Pop! away it went. My buddy Sean started casting at it while I went back to the truck to get another rod, then it turned into a precision casting contest till dark, trying to snag the damn thing. That's when I got the double.....while I wasn't trying to catch fish, and by the way, it was a swimmer that Roc made that did that......anyway, by now it's dark, and my last cast at it hooks up and drags the Dingbat back to me, a literal "Shot in the dark"
Anyway, all in all had a good day, good weather, good company, caught some fish, and lived to tell about it.

#8 ·
working 10 hr days, glad someone can get em, i don;t feel so bad now. good job and glad to see you got out without a hook in ya. in the excitement we all foul or lose sheet. i assume you were EXCITED? why can;t we take pics of ourselves screwing up? next time i will take a pic of me hooking a googin with a roc swimmer in da earlobe, nahh! that won;t happen

#11 ·
birds and HUGE pod of bait with lots of bass just offshore gilgo long island and moving east nonetheless. wild > as tomorrow night i will take the longwand down for what i always say will be the last time. if they show they show but my legs are like rubber and i stiill wanna go fishing. no reports of any activity around me. just alot of action in the inlet near morgan however. lots of shorts and i mean lots. i really wish i didn;t have a life sometimes. i wanna get down there.

#13 ·
I'll bet they're chewin right now what with this front coming through.

I'm trapped in the office mblah05.gif

#15 ·
Ok, Here Goes:
Zim - Life is overrated, just go fishing, life will still be there when you're done. And, you can sleep when you're dead :rolleyes2:

roberm225 - I normally fish southern Monmouth County, and will drop into northern Ocean County from time to time, as the mood strikes me....today, it was northern Monmouth County.....see report below. And yes, dawn and dusk are the times, but for me, the hour either side of sunset has been the most productive, on average, by far, for whatever reason.

Sudsy - DingDingDingDingDing!!!!!!! We have a winner!!!!!! Yes, with the front moving thru and the east wind, I was hoping for a spectacular convergence of circumstances culminating in blitz conditions, with bait being pushed into the beach and big, hungry fish following them into the wash.....it kinda worked that way, almost.

Jim - That picture of the birds working over the herring has been replayed here lately over a pretty long stretch of coastline, but I have not seen it as far south as Manasquan......but I did see that scene in another M town today, around noon, about a half mile off shore, birds were rushing from spot to spot, the bait would blow up and all the birds would rush over, then the bait would blow up a little ways away, and all the birds would rush over, and then the bait would blow up.....you get the idea. The birds looked like fishermen, racing from spot to spot.

Anyway, after I saw that scene on my way up north, I made my way to the bottom half of Sandy Hook, to the place where one of the coldest Stripers247 gatherings took place, and fished there for a couple of hours......nuttin but the stench o' skunk. Moved to the top half of Sandy Hook, and was rewarded almost immediately with fish, all the same size (small) and almost all of them hitting the red/white (candycane) teaser. Continued to catch fish after fish, a guy I know from our fishing club showed up and he started catching, and all in all we had a very enjoyable afternoon, I wound up with approx 25 fish. I had to leave because I do not have a valid night parking permit, told the other guy where I was heading and got out of there. After a coffee and a sammich, headed back to the aforementioned "M" town and picked right up where I'd left off at da Hook, catching schoolie after schoolie, then the club guy walked up behind me and scared the bejeezus outta me.....it was raining, I had the rainjacket on with the hood up, I never heard him till he was right next to me. So, we caught more fish till our bones were about to seize up, then hauled ass.
I STILL have not found a keeper, but at least I'm catching, at this rate I'll just keep fishing till the big fish start swimming back up :love4:

#16 ·
merry christmas lunkers. got out for a couple of hours this morning./ thought i;d flyrod at the chance for a schoolie or maybe a nice fish for xmas. instead i walked into an acre of adult bunker just flipping around and i persisted my presentations thinking fish were under them but woulda been wizer to go home and get the net as they were everywhere with nothing on them. went and got my net and a surf pole but by the time i got back they were too far out. i snagged one and livelined him for naught. but it was totally unexpected and it goes to show that you can never be too prepared. the smell of an acre of bunker swimming all around the pier just felt so soothing to the senses. i spent 3 hours plugging and nothing around. the bunker were so happy scaring the sheet out of each other and jumping out of the water. i went up onto the pier and looked down to what could only be described as magnificent. but like i said, by the time i got back with the net they were out by the chanell. i failed to prepare and subsequently prepared to fail. i can;t fish tomorow and gotta work till god knows when tuesday but woulda had fresh bunker up the arse. the woulda coulda shoulda syndrome. snagging a bunker on christmas eve just felt so funny. i was almost high from the fumes of melon as it almost smelled like bass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.