Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2016 STRIPER REPORTs

169K views 504 replies 99 participants last post by  FyshhTrap 
#1 ·
** SHOW EM' IF YA GOT EM' **

Post any 2016 Striper Reports and photos here. Hope to see a bunch of HAWGS.
Feel free to include county or general area, No need to give up specific spots or honey holes.

Please try and limit it to just reports & congrats.

Thanks and good luck all !

#283 ·
Launched in Greene County this am to sit in the rain till noon. Bait was the easiest I've seen it yet. Unfortunately, more bait means more choices for the stripers. One quick run and drop. Nothing in my net today.

#286 ·
Winds were strong but out of NE was fishable. Wednesday went 2 for 4 from 5-7pm.
Thursday not a fish on screen Bannerman's to the bridge till 7pm, and then they lit up and boated 5 in 30 minutes up to 31".

Attachments

#287 ·
Fished Newburgh Bay from 4-8pm (Late start) and boated 8 largest one was 33in and quite a fighter. Pic below of the fishfinder shows how thick the schools were at times. They were riding a sharp line east side of the channel. Water temp still a cool 53 degrees so the fish are not quite active yet. We will be back down tomorrow morning to put a full day in. Anyone interested in taking a trip down Sunday......pm me........not sure any of my fishing buddies are free.

Attachments

#294 · (Edited)
Hey Doc, after you split we stayed on that school south to Plum Point and picked up another 5. Conditions got pretty snotty. Ended up going through 5 dozen worms total. Final tally was 34 fish to 32" most were the cookie cutter 26-30" with some dinks mixed in. I guess 13 hours today paid off! i'll be out again in the am.

Attachments

#290 · (Edited)
Alone in my boat and both reels go off....WTF?!?

Got them both landed somehow...I must be getting better at this lol...photo won't upload for some reason.

24 and 29 inches....both released safely...

Oh and someone is blazing up big time out here, it smells like a grateful dead concert in Newburgh harbor... :p

Attachments

#296 ·
Here are some pics:
Check out the thick schools on the fishfinder.

Attachments

#299 ·
Went out from 2 to 6:30. Wind was fierce in Newburgh bay so we retreated to Marlboro West side where it was calm. Marked lots of fish but they were deep and had no interest in eating. Also heard nothing was caught in the Bay either. Amazing what a difference 24 hours can make. Back out tomorrow.

#300 ·
Fished Newburgh bay and Cornwall from 9am-5pm in other than favorable conditions (pure Hell) today. Headed out of barn to nasty breakers with a hard wind out of SW. Headed south to duck the wind and found plenty of fish where we left last night. Too bad they weren't hungry today. Wind died and conditions became beautiful for about 11 minutes. Then a black cloud came rolling in followed by a sustained wind out of west that 6oz of weight could barely handle. Moved north in afternoon with same winds but slightly more NW. 2 men Zero fish today. Big change in a day. Water still at 53-54 degrees and WATCH OUT FOR FLOATING LUMBER!!!!!! It's everywhere

#301 ·
Some day i will figure out what turns them on to feeding...it seems the last 2 years they turn on at the bottom third of outgoing tide. I discovered a current app on my Humminbird and noticed the ebb and flood currents do not quite coincide with the actual incoming/outgoing tides so I'm gonna try to to see if I can see any patterns.

#302 ·
Your right doc, I like using mobilegraphics tide chart. It graphs the tide height so you can see how steep of a tide it will be. You can tell what phase of moon your in by looking at the tides after a while. I watch not just for tide times but type of tides. Steeper tides we've had lately with tall highs. The tide time only dictates level. If it says 9am low, that will be the low point for water level but tide will still go out as water start to rise. This usually can last 30 min to almost 2 hours some tides depending on wind direction. Log these specifics on tides and you will notice not just what tides do best for you but even what types of tides. These highs we've had make for great back Bay shallow opportunities and night fishing flats. You'll notice yourself dialing in and able to predict better when prime times may be

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.