Feedback and comments for Shimano Baitrunners - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop > Tackle Evaluation & Product review
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Tackle Evaluation & Product review Tackle listings and product review Forum

Old 03-25-2006, 03:20 PM

Default Feedback and comments for Shimano Baitrunners

Anyone have/used a Shimano Baitrunner? If so are they smooth and hows their strength and durability?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2006, 03:31 PM

I have the 6500 and the 4500. Very smooth. The 65 is a monster reel. Quite large also. I definately get more fish with it but I also lose more too. The baitrunner feature keeps you in the game even when your not paying attention. It picks up the subtlest of hits. I do like to use it when dead sticking on the beach or with a sand spike lodged between rocks. I like it better than the Penn 9500. (The 9500 is not a baitrunner) The size and weight are fairly comparable. The 4500 is nice and light and can be used to plug with.

Welcome to the board Colin
Old 03-26-2006, 08:03 AM
Lunker

Default baitrunner

Hey Colin you helped me out with the Cabo or Stratic choice, I have the 6500 baitrunner it is a quality reel but it does not pair up with my tica surf rod. it is too heavy but great for other types of fishing, boat, piers etc.
as striperjim said a monster reel , smooth & very reliable. great for live lining. I have not had any issues with the Shimano reels.

danny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2006, 02:17 PM

On the baitrunners. I asked the guys at surfland in Plum Island what reel they see the most for repair and hands down each guy (and gal) said it was the Shimano baitrunner. Not because of part failure but because of neglect from its owners. It needs to be cleaned and cared for at the end of each season and at least rinse it out in freshwater after a salt and sand bath. Open it up and clean under the spool, clean as much sand and grease as you can before you soak it.
Whats needed for a complete cleaning.
Can of compressed air
Needle nose
Tooth brush or solder flux brush
Lithium greese
set of small screwdrivers
WD 40
Q Tips
Old 03-27-2006, 07:31 PM

thanks a lot guys its just im debating whether to return my 4500 and get an avet sx or mx cause theyre good for chunking/ livelining too
Old 03-27-2006, 10:16 PM

Thats easy, keep the Baitrunner buy an SX.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:58 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

anyone know how they compare to the penn live liners?
Old 03-28-2006, 09:45 PM

I swear by the shimano bairunners. the originals, the second series "b" and the Tunnus. All awesome reels. Sure they flex, need cleaning (especially the bolt in rear drag), are a little less ballanced and not the smoothest thing in the world (but then again neither are the VanStaal). I have caught Tarpon, Wahoo and Sail and have never been let down. I used to buy Penn but have not owned one in several years. I am not a fan (except for the GTIs). From a dock or dead boat nothing will out perform a baitrunner IMHO
Old 04-20-2006, 07:21 PM
Striper Hunter

i have the baitrunner 5300, its an amazing smooth reel, and its quality. I love it.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:51 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

Shimano makes quality reels. Whatever choice you make will be a good one. It's just that way.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:26 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

No one fishes a Baitrunner harder than I do, I have 4 of them, thye are great.... they MUST be maintained with a little care they are an exellent reel....
Old 04-21-2006, 08:32 AM

Is the Thunnus worth the extra money or is it overkill.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:59 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

good question Suds, I was looking at them, and comparing parts, they seem to simular to justify the additonal cost... I guess it depends on what you plan to use them for, some people use one combo for everything, while others like us have a set up (or two or three) for everything we do...
Old 04-24-2006, 07:59 PM

Default Thunnus

Is the Thunnus worth the price? The reel is a helluva a lot heavier and does not have nearly the line capacity but... It is so much more rigid, there is no flex. When you have a big fish you feel like you have more control becuase the reel and crank respond so fast. Also, the rear drag on my baitrunners can change over time (ie, even on the lowest setting it can still take a good bit of force to pull line) that has never happend with the Thunnus. That being said, many of my baitrunners are 10 years old and they are great, my favorite reels. I used the 4500's with P-line and like the "B" model even more.

The Thunnus is great and you can get a deal on them sometimes as I dont think they ever were a big seller. I know dolphin charter boats use them for live lining.

Suds, if I see you out you are welcome to play with it a bit. I am only catching skates at this point anyway....