Anyone here fish Jordan Lake for stripers? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > North Carolina - Interior
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 01-11-2006, 12:46 PM

Default Anyone here fish Jordan Lake for stripers?

I was reading the other day on some NCWRC link that they have stopped stocking Hybrids in Jordan, due to the fact they are worried some may get through the spillway, (or otherwise end up) in the Cape Fear, and end up crossbreeding with stripers down at the coast.

So now apparently, they're putting upwards of 70k striper fry into Jordan every year instead of 35k hybrids and 35k stripers. This looks good for getting this lake on the map as far as a good striper population goes. I've heard stories of, and seen photos of, 10lb + fish out of there already. (They've only been stocking them how long now, 5-10 years?)

My question: Anyone here fish Jordan for stripers at all? If so, where do you find them most often? Near the dam? Along the lower Haw?

How far North in the lake do you think they travel? Above Hwy 64 at all?

Thanks for any guidance for this admimtted striper noob. I ain't trying to hone in on your honey holes, but I'd like an idea of where to start if you'd be willing to share. I've been fishing Kerr some for them the past 2 years, and recently tried the ones out at the coast at Oregon Inlet, and was looking for some to chase that weren't 5 hours and a rough boat ride away...

Thx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2006, 01:07 PM

Ed I dont fish Jordan never have but I just read this, this morning. It might be just what your looking for. the thing that caught my eye was the go to bait. Liver thread fins rather than the bigger gizzard shad. A better match for their metabolism right now.
North Carolina fish and game stripers - hybrids
Its a January 2006 article.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Anyone here fish Jordan Lake for stripers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDBeasley
I was reading the other day on some NCWRC link that they have stopped stocking Hybrids in Jordan, due to the fact they are worried some may get through the spillway, (or otherwise end up) in the Cape Fear, and end up crossbreeding with stripers down at the coast.
I was going to say 'Whomever came up with that excuse should do their homework, Wipers are sterile" but before I posted it I decided to doublecheck. I'm glad I did, turns out I was misinformed. Check this out:

http://www.agmrc.org/agmrc/commodity...idstripedbass/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2006, 01:35 PM

Man, you'd think I would've seen that as a subscriber to NC Game & Fish, wouldn't you? lol But either I haven't gotten that issue, or it was buried in the deer hunting stuff in the last one I did get, and I missed it.

Thanks much for that link, as it pretty much nails the 2 lakes closest to me that have stripers in them. They didn't cover, in great detail anyway, why they do or don't fish the deep part of Jordan down at the dam. And it is widely known that they push up the Haw river from the dam for both false and actual spawning runs...I wonder if they (the contributers to that article) fish that area more and were holding back soas not to put too much pressure on the water that they *really* guide on? Another guy on a local board has given me some pointers, and the bait in this article is very similar, but the locals come off different, he says down at the dam is the "best" place to find them, anytime, all the time, depending on their feeding moods. BUT, "down at the dam" is a big place...:)

Well whatever it takes, wherever they are, I am going to drag the puddle jumper (my little bass boat) down to Jordan this weekend and try to find some...Now the trick will be to find someone that sells bait shad nearby, or find some in the lake prior to heading down to the dam...Man, I didn't know they'd pulled an 18lber out of there yet. That's pretty good consdering the relatively shallow nature of the lake, and the short length of time they've actually been stocked there.

Thanks again for that link, I have it bookmarked and just printed it too. It shores up what I've heard thru the grapevine enough I am going to give them a shot.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Anyone here fish Jordan Lake for stripers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDBeasley
I was going to say 'Whomever came up with that excuse should do their homework, Wipers are sterile" but before I posted it I decided to doublecheck. I'm glad I did, turns out I was misinformed. Check this out:

http://www.agmrc.org/agmrc/commodity...idstripedbass/
I am an admitted rookie to this part of the game, but I was just regurgitating what I had seen online somewhere. And actually, they discussed this very issue in the article that Jim linked me to. That being worry of Jordan hybrids getting down stream and crossbreeding with stripers that will go out into the ocean. They also cited a good reason for concern, and that was Hurricane Fran '96. The water "almost" topped all the bridges arcoss that lake the days/week following that Hurricane. It was a scary sight. I lived over there a about a mile from that lake back then, and it was the absolute highest I've ever seen it for about a month after the storm.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:01 AM

I too was a little confused initially thinking that hybrids were sterile. That hybrid bass article clears that up nicely. I think I will try Jordan Friday instead of driving to Oregon Inlet and chasing the 40 pounders. Will save me some gas and time and I will get a chance to go to the boat and fishing show this weekend.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:21 PM

Hey Scoobie,

You must be near me then. I had to mess around and wait on a flight at RDU to pick up my wife on Friday, and then that WIND on Saturday and yesterday until almost nightfall...sheesh. I never did make it to the lake this weekend. I did get a new deep cycle battery, and get it into my boat so it's 100% ready to rock when I get the time again.

I *did* however get to the Bass and Saltwater Fishing thingie at the fairgrounds on both Friday and Saturday though. A few observations about the show:

* The "new" expo building really helped that show out, a lot. It sure beat having the Graham building stuffed full, and then a few akwardly placed boats and GMCs in the Dorton Arena...

* Boat prices have simply taken off and are into unsuatainable pricing levels IMHO. I "really" wanted to look at the new Skeeter iClass boats, and found them, and promptly BAILED when I learned that the entry level 20i with a 2stroke 250 was $47,000!!!!! Dang! That used to be a top of the line bass rig price, now it's entry level? Same thing goes for the ocean center consoles and walkarounds....priced everything from MayCraft to Donzi and every brand/price range in between them and man! There was a nice EdgeWater between the 2 buildings that had $105,000 on it, and I wouldn't pay a buck over $50k-$60k for it.

* I liked the extra room for all the vendors. I managed to find some hand poured/painted bucktails at a booth from a guy here in NC. Look like they'll last forever and @ $1.79 per, I stocked up....$1.79 ea. is what Cabelas is getting for the newer Booyah psuedo bucktails...Plus, there was stuff there you can't find online. Cabelas only sells 2" and 3" "Minnow Grub" Gulp brand baits online (I searched their site last night for them). A "store" there at the boat show not only had the 4" version I was looking for, but in every color too. At the same $4.95 per bag price even...

* And the typical dislike I have for EVERY boat show I ever attend, and that is the hawk-like sales people. It is nearly impossibile to just "look" at a boat at these things anymore without someone trying to swoop in, prospect you, and then start the sales pressure pitch. Like people are just going to "happen" upon this boat, and drop $100k on it on a whim? No, we "know" what we're looking for, and when we're likely to buy it, and some of us simply want to see the thing outside of pictures before we decide. The 5 minutes each I spent trying to show the wife the new Skeeters, and some Tritons, were all basically spent beating salespeople off with the "I'm just lookin'" routine, even though I am genuinely in the market for a new glitter-rocket bass boat. You aren't going to lay some textbook sales pitch on me and change my mind, but it would be nice if I could "view" the boat, alone, for just a few minutes please! Just a few seconds of running my hand down the fiberglass, maybe open a hatch or two before I hear "How much do you make? What kind of payment can you handle? Do you know your credit score?" LOL! What a madhouse.

* And I saw Mike Iaconelli and Davy Hite both at the "Bass Tub" and found them both to be entertaining and educational. Kudos to whomever was able to secure their appearances.

* AND, to stay somewhat on topic, I checked in at all the vendors that had some sort of striper-ware fore sale or on display and was amazed at the variety of baits and gear that people "swear by" for striper fishing. Got to see several varieties of umbrella rigs, mojos of all sizes and colors, et al. It was an interesting education seeing how people from Chesapeke to Santee Cooper and all points in between go about chasing striped bass. Basically found out that the bucktails/grubs I bought, along with the shad of the day (gizzard or threadfin) are what is needed at Jordan Lake. Looks like I need a decent cast net, and some back yard practice time...I already have decent enough rods and reels, a set of planer boards, as well as a livewell for the live shad, now I just need the time to go and try them out. Re-gearing my bassing rigs for striped bass wasn't that hard, thankfully.