Color and Inland Stripers: - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:37 PM
eat.sleep.fish.

Default Color and Inland Stripers:

First off Hello,

I have turned my attention this fall away from the inlet-ocean-bay towards what I would like to call the "back woods." Why? For the sport of it. To find out how far away and how obscure of places the stripers run to. I found some cool spots but I am interested in having a discussion on 2 things: Color Choice & Type of Rigs. I have had success with peanut bunker, minnows, eels, peelers and grass shrimp. Artificial… not as much luck :(

In fact the only luck I have had is on some odd-end-spec-rigs with some gulp minnows. With a medium speed presentation and a mild jerk I have found stripers right around bait fish and crab traps in far off rivers of the bay. Any other options or colors to try? Lures that work in a similar fashion as specs?

Will a rattle possibly make the storms more attractive?

I know I need to start tossing the fly rod around but fly-fishing is so complicated and I have a lot more to learn before I try.

What lures do you like when you go inland from the bays? I have never used a popper or plugs on top? What ones should I try and what presentation has worked for you as you move into un-charted waters? The places that I have been focused on generally have high-activity from bait-fish (peanut bunker, cob mullet, minnows and some spot!)

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2010, 07:49 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Color and Inland Stripers:

Hi i fish the back bays of the longisland sound, grass lines rocks so on, seems on a 14 or 15 lb spin rig---i catch them on poppers but in the warmer temps, 67. And over slow floaters. Rattle traps are good, 1/2 or longhaired 1/4 oz bucktails with pork trailer, white yellow, black, with red porktrailer.---rebel 5" minnow blueback, blackback. Diawa minnow bluesilver. Mostly small school fish 12" to 20" if thay are there these lures seem to get them. Its a bit late in the season though, after june next season starts ...till about now. Where i am.