Lake Wateree was created in 1920 with the operation of Wateree Hydroelectric Station. The Wateree Dam is 3,380 feet long.
Lake Wateree has 13,864 surface acres and 242 miles of shoreline and is the largest of the lower lakes. The lake also provides a dependable water supply for Lugoff and Camden, South Carolina.
Full pond elevation is 225.5 feet.
Duke Energy provides seven boat access areas on the lake and one below the dam in cooperation with the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources.
Public Access Areas
- Wateree Creek Access Area
- Taylor Creek Access Area
- Lake Wateree State Park 1-803-482-6126
- Wateree Creek Sport Shop 1-803-482-9101
- Sutton's Landing 1-803-482-6443
- Dutchman's Creek Marina 1-803-482-3067
- June Creek Access Area
- Colonels Creek Access Area
- Colonels Creek Landing 1-803-337-2006
- Buck Hill Access Area
- Lugoff Access Area
- White Oak Creek Access Area
- SCDNR Beaver Creek Access Area
- Lakeside Marina 1-803-432-0073
- Clearwater Cove Marina 1-803-432-5315
- Wateree Marina 1-803-475-1224
- Mr. G's Bait & Tackle 1-803-273-3021
- Lake Wateree Campground 1-803-273-3013