Okuma Epixor Baitfeeder Or Shimano Baitrunner - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop > Tackle Evaluation & Product review
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Tackle Evaluation & Product review Tackle listings and product review Forum

Old 06-30-2009, 06:11 PM
First Mate

Default Okuma Epixor Baitfeeder Or Shimano Baitrunner

I'm looking to get a new to me anyway Spinning reel. I like the Baitfeeder/Runner setups and am torn between the two. One bonus to me with the Okuma is weight being 5 to 10 oz.lighter depending on model. I also hear the Okuma drags can't be beat but Shimano is also a tried and proven product. The price is close enough at around $20 or $30 diff.
I have also used the Shimano and like it, although I thought I could feel flex under heavy pressure. (this just might have been me?) I wan't to use this for plugs and bait. Any input on these reels would be great and appreciated

Also with the Shimano what is the differance between the older A and the new B models? I hear some swear by the A but I don't know why, I do think the B has anti-reverse

I may also be considering the Okuma Salina Baitfeeder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2009, 08:31 AM
Pro Staff

Default Re: Okuma Epixor Baitfeeder Or Shimano Baitrunner

I've not used the Okuma reels myself, so I can't comment on them. The Shimano however is a workhorse that can take a beating and keep on ticking. The drag is smooth and the reel can stand up to the occasional dunking and drop in the sand. I have a 4500b and have never had a problem with it. I've fished it hard, and it's been dunked many times while wading out to rocks. Just be sure to rinse it well after each trip to prevent corrosion.

I'm not sure what the difference is between the 4500 and the 4500b, sorry.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:29 PM
First Mate

"I'm not sure what the difference is between the 4500 and the 4500b, sorry. "

I have read abit and the only reason I really knew anything about A/B is I saw some dude on fleabay claiming his an A model, like the B is bad. This is what I had read from tackle tester
When the bait runner’s were revised a few years ago, the B series added a few modern features to the reels including infinite anti reverse(Shimanos Super Stopper II), anti corrosion bearings and newer drag technology

To me they sound better but who knows? I have always been a Shimano fan but have heard good things about the Okuma. I also would be getting the 4500, also wondering how the weight is casting it alot. May not matter that much as I quess most of the weight issues are rod/reel balance or rod anyways.

One other thing I have been wondering is why Shimano only offers the one Baitrunner in the US as in the UK they have like 6 or more models. I guess maybe because carp fishing is big overthere-make any sense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2009, 01:42 PM
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseystriper View Post
I also would be getting the 4500, also wondering how the weight is casting it alot. May not matter that much as I quess most of the weight issues are rod/reel balance or rod anyways.

The 4500 is a great size for plugging, and balances well on most 9-11 foot rods. Plenty of line capacity. Can't go wrong with it, if that's the type of reel you're looking for.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:05 PM
First Mate

I have an Epixor EB-80 and a Baitrunner 6500A. The Baitrunner is 4 years older. I like the Okuma better. I've had problems with the baitrunners anti reverse not working and the baitrunner drag freezing. I can take the reel apart and fix the problem, however I would NEVER try this at the beach. Once you pull the side plate off things can fly out. If your not careful it could take a long time to figure out how it goes back together. I'm not saying the Okuma is any easier just that I haven't had to take it apart other than my curosity.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Veteran Elite

I would go with Shimano. I gave an Okuma to my dad after years of use and the thing is still kicking ass with no problems at all. I would have kept it but he needed a reel. I will never knock Okuma because I never had an issue with any of their reels. I also love the 4500 any fisherman should have one. Very versitile.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:13 AM
I'm here to learn!

I say go with Shimano. I have both so I use them side by side all the time. My 4500 has a beefier feel to it and a more positive/stout baitrunner throw.