Gill maggots/copods/parasites ?? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 11-29-2008, 04:23 PM
First Mate

Default Gill maggots/copods/parasites ??

OK guys,not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes.Any of you fellas know anything about the gill maggots or copods that get inside the stripers mouth and gills??The lake I fish,lake wateree SC.I have fished it for many years and never saw any,never really looked but you allways basically look in a fishs mouth to remove the hook.I have read about this parasite on other lakes but cant find any info now on them.I caught one wednesday and noticed them in its mouth,told some guys about it,Went friday and caught 6 ALL six had them.They are 3/16 inchish long.heres a couple pictures.You cant really see much by the pic,they are yellowish white in color.

Heres some I pulled out for a better view.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2008, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Gill maggots/copods/parasites ??

I don't really know much about them but see them pretty regularly on fish here too. The TWRA claims they don't really hurt the fish. Of course the same guy also said they didn't even know the bugs were here when I know they've been around for a while and you don't have to look in many fishes mouths to find 'em. Anyway, it's my understanding, and I know other very knowledgable striper guys who agree, that if the fish are subjected to other stressors, say poor water quality for example, that these nasty litter critters can in fact damage a fishery severely. If that weren't enough the anecdotal evidence is that their effect is more pronounced on larger fish.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:20 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Re: Gill maggots/copods/parasites ??

it is unusual IMO to see that in cold water. usually these infestations are acute in warm water situations. i have not read about wateree but know that some anchor worms can cause problems in fish if are infested for a long time and are prone to infection due to elevated wound numbers. this beast is most likely what is called ERGASISLIS. most of the time found in the gills but again in warmer water. testing was done and found if they bathed the fish in a percentage of salt/fresh water for a few weeks it eliminates/removes or kills the parasite. not entirely sure if infections due to parasites would warrant the abstinence of consumption however.