Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Wire Leaders

Tags
leaders wire
3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Roccus 
#1 ·
I saw the Canal Gathering thread, with the bike. It got me thinking. Next to the bike, one of the more important items for bait fishermen on the Canal is wire leaders.

Buying them is insane. For relatively short money, you can make your own for years.

All of these supplies are available at Red Top, or any number of tackle shops. Probably yours at home. Make them before you go, or while sitting around waiting on a tide.

The Supplies. Simple.

1) Wire. Buy the American stuff, please. It's about $3 more.
2) Barrel swivels. Buy them by the bag.
3) Crimp Sleeves. Get the right size for your gauge of wire.
4) Hooks. I use 8/0
5) Crimping tool. No photo. Can't locate mine right now. I used pliers with a wire cutter. (This is not Rocket Science.)

So you have your materials.

Step 1:
Cut a length of wire off the spool. I usually go around 24 inches.

Step 2:
Feed Crimp Sleeve and Hook onto wire.

Step 3:
Fold wire back through sleeve, Crimp the sleeve.

Step 4:
Feed Crimp Sleeve and Swivel onto wire.

Step 5:
Fold back, and Crimp here as above.

Step 6:
There is none. Your done.

That's it. Over simplified, because it is just that easy.

Don't over-crimp, make them hold, and play with lengths for your area. For the Canal, I find long is good. It works for me.

Ask your tackle shop for size of Crimp sleeves relating to size of wire. I am not up on that, I always forget, and always ask. If I do buy sleeves too large, I double the wire back through the sleeve. Some say it's wrong. Never broken one, Have had to do it.

If I missed something , or someone has a tip, please comment.

Good luck.

See less See more
#2 ·
yea, (on regular gamakatsu 8/0 but wouldn;'t do it on your baitholders you have there) feed the wire throught the eye and around the shank and out again and then crimp. you don;t want the hook to move up and down loosely on the end of the wire. this way the hook stays straight aligned with the wire. when you set the hook it will set straight and not pop out of the razorlips mouth. another thing, they sell red wire, i use red hooks and red wire. on the off chance a bass wants your offering it may just get fooled into thinking it is blood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.