Pencils goo-goo spooks and more... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:39 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Pencils goo-goo spooks and more...

I've had 60 plugs "on hold" for a month now... I finally got some of them epoxies and rigged....

First up... Pencils, these are 7 1/2" long and weigh 3.5 ounces, they are of my own design so I can give no one credit, although, they do resemble the old Cotton Cordell pencils...

Next are 6" spooks, these are 6" long, and weigh 2 ounces, they are a knock off of the old Ballerina made by Pluegar...

Next are the Goo goo eyes, the original was made by Leo Cooper and was manufactured from sugar pine and utilized screw eyes, this plug was the plug responsible for getting me into plug building...I t also was responsible for Charlie Cintos world record striper...

Mine are made from yellow birch and are through wired...they are 8" long and weigh 3.5 ounces...

Lastly are the slope heads, a design Made by Danny Pinkney, this deep running slow swimming plug was created to reach the bass laying on the edge of the current behind deep water bars... this plug is one of my early season gems, I use it extensively at the bottom of the tide on the big spring tides when the water isn't fast enough to troll wire, but too strong for a conventional method of plug delivery, swum on braid, this plug will bounce the bottom in 12' of water while I slide the boat from bar to bar while stemming the tide.. I also use these from the jetty by tossing them quartering the current, I keep just enough tension on the line to allow the plug to swim as it dive down to the depths, one it reaches the edge of the rip, a slow retrieve is the ticket to vicious strikes.. Mine are also made of yellow birch,they are 7 1/2" long and weigh 4 ounces....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pencils 09.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	9253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spooks 09.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	9254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Goos 09.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	9255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slope heads 09.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	9256  
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2009, 10:19 PM
LunkHead

Default Re: Pencils goo-goo spooks and more...

Looking good roc,
That's a pretty cool looking mack pattern you've got there.
How do you work a spook? I've heard people say to walk them like a pencil, pull them under and they weave.....????? I've tried making a few, and walking them like a pencil is easy, getting them to weave, not so easy.
Anyway, your stuff is looking great, I'm just about ready to steal your pike paint for a couple I have in prime now.

"An Evil Barbarian with a Wrench in His Pocket......"

Old 01-05-2009, 07:22 AM
First Mate

Absolutely inspirational work. Are your stencils sticky back? How do you hold them on while painting?
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2009, 01:38 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

incredible..........i have no other words.....well, maybe a few more...effin nuts roc. your pics make me want to get back in the shop and turn a few.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:44 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickski View Post
Are your stencils sticky back? How do you hold them on while painting?
Magic.... actually, I make them a tapered tube, that way each style or size will fit the stencil,once installed, I insert a rod in the rear of the plug, adjust the screw eye to sit flat on the "V" block the paint each side, I have made several of each, so I can spray, hang and move on the the next one, once I have gotten to the last one, the first one is ready to be removed and the process goes on..no lost time waiting for paint to dry.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:07 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed White View Post
How do you work a spook? I've heard people say to walk them like a pencil, pull them under and they weave.....????? I've tried making a few, and walking them like a pencil is easy, getting them to weave, not so easy.

Beautiful work, Roc.

Ed, the spook is one of my go to plugs, raised more fish on them than pencils, except for when the cows are hitting adult bunker. As for weaving them, pretend you're this guy and you won't have any problems, the more erratic the better.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:08 AM
LunkHead

Yeah, quick 12 pack and I can dance like that too, right before I puke and fall asleep.

Back on topic, I get the walking part, like a pencil. I have seen guys making big sweeps with the rod and dragging something quickly across the water, pause while they reel in slack, and repeat, moving the plug 15-20 feet at a time right across the surface of the water. Wasn't a popper, it just seemed to skim across the water. ???????

Old 01-06-2009, 09:56 AM
Official Member

Same here, Ed , no mo mind altering substances for me, unless you're talking about sand and salt. Chapelle's funny, came to my mind as I was answering.

The guys that swept the plug 15-20 feet at a time, were they catching a decent amount of bass, or only bluefish? That technique sounds great for covering a lot of ground and seeing if fish are in the area, quickly. IMO it would draw vicious bluefish strikes by pissing them off.

The best action for me on spooks is intense twitching. At night I slow it down, but sometimes I have has fussy blues or bass, wont hit it unless they think it's leaving their feeding range, and ya gotta turn it up a bit. As I think about it, that amount of distance at one time is not a natural movement for any baitfish around here, to me it seems would draw more blues than bass. Would appreciate hearing more how it worked for them, or not?
Old 01-06-2009, 10:19 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Ed, the sweep or glide has more to do with the individual plug than the person using it, it all depends on the placement of the weight weather it glides or weaves like a pencil... these will glide once you get the hang of it because of the slightly aft weighting, if you add a tail weight, they become more pencil like.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:24 PM
LunkHead

DS,
The 2 guys I saw using that technique were on the wall in the bay very early spring, while I was dunking clams, and they did not catch, that I saw. Just curious about what they were doing, and about spooks in general.

Roc,
How should it sit in the water?

Old 01-06-2009, 12:34 PM
LunkHead

Whaddayaknow,
Sportyguy put up a short video of a spook test on YouTube, here:
There are a few other spook vids as well, mostly freshie stuff, but it gives the idea

Old 01-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Cow Catcher

That Spook Swims GREAT GREAT GREAT..
Old 01-06-2009, 07:30 PM
First Mate

Try this one
Old 01-09-2009, 05:22 AM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Sweet plugs Roc!
Old 01-09-2009, 07:38 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

soon khary, soon...................
as far as the plugs go? wtf? the longer slopehead swims alot deeper faster than that one there on the retrieve. does the shorter slope take the chip down slower because of the stout cut? i often wondered in the case of a darter/slopehead and how to determine that particular gradient. i suppose you have a mental pic in your mind as to what they will do. elaborate oh great and powerful oz......(just food for thought to make you talk more)