Coating with e-tex - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Pro Staff

Default Re: Coating with e-tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseystriper View Post
Why does the CO2 matter?
It is primarily Co2 that pops the bubbles, the heat just helps to thin the epoxy a little to aid the process. Either a flame (which produces Co2) or your breath will do the trick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2009, 12:12 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF View Post
It is primarily Co2 that pops the bubbles, the heat just helps to thin the epoxy a little to aid the process. Either a flame (which produces Co2) or your breath will do the trick.
Thank you for that info
Old 01-18-2010, 12:13 PM

I have been given a Badger 250 airbrush as an X-Mas gift....I have a few blank plugs I want to try and paint and have decided on color patterns...all that is to decide is the following:

what kind of paint should I use for painting my blanks???......acrylic??...an oil based apint as it is more durable?.....Im thinking of the salt water enviroment..........acrylic seems weak ?...

Also what do you use to pre-seal your plugs prior to painting??....linseed oil>>????....how many coats should I apply....sand between coats.....??...

Oh yes....what is it you guys are using to create the scale look on the plugs??

thanks for any input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2010, 09:46 PM

I'm a relative newby and recently used epoxies for the first time to top coat plugs. Two weeks ago I tried LocTite (Home Depot) 5 minute epoxy but the results were unsatisfactory due to the material clumping on many of the plugs giving them a somewhat lumpy texture. Last week I bough E-tex to try out and the results were great - perfectly smooth coating. I didn't use a torch, but opted for a heat gun which helped set up the epoxy with only minimum (5 mins or so) turning by hand.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:16 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdregs View Post
I'm a relative newby and recently used epoxies for the first time to top coat plugs. Two weeks ago I tried LocTite (Home Depot) 5 minute epoxy but the results were unsatisfactory due to the material clumping on many of the plugs giving them a somewhat lumpy texture. Last week I bough E-tex to try out and the results were great - perfectly smooth coating. I didn't use a torch, but opted for a heat gun which helped set up the epoxy with only minimum (5 mins or so) turning by hand.

this is a good lesson for you... five minute epoxy is too fast setting, aside from that, it tends to yellow.... stick with epoxies with a minimum of an hours dry time... but remember this.. the longer the cure.. the more durable the product..
Old 07-17-2010, 08:31 PM
Mark

I just e-texed my first plug.

I used 4 ounces of etex for one plug which I learned the hard way that it was way too much for one plug. If I just brush the e-tex on the plug the next time will the brush marks fade away as the e-tex cures ?

Is there a way to build a spinner that somebody can send me ?

thanks
Mark
Old 07-18-2010, 11:40 AM

4 oz on ONE ??

4 oz is enough for 20 average size plugs.
Etex is made to smooth itself out as it dries - no need to worry about brush marks.

Use the flip technique if you don't have a spinner. Hang it from something and flip it every 5 minutes for the first 20 minutes (+/-), then every 15 minutes for the next two hours.
I generally try to time plug drying to coincide with a baseball game.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:36 PM
Mark

Thanks sudsy. Let's go Phillies !
Old 07-18-2010, 09:02 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

4 ounces is a ton let the plug cure for a couple of days and sand it down. re coat with maybe 2 cc's for a plug. When working with finishes it is a marathon not a race. Thin coats adhere better cure better and provide a more consistent end result. If you put on a thin coat and have dry spots, oh well coat it again.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:53 AM
First Mate

Roc,thanks for the step by step.Followed it had no problem with the epoxy.I need to get more experience myself with my procedure but time will tell.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:30 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Not a problem....glad it is of some help..
Old 11-16-2011, 02:06 PM
Official Member

has any of you builders tried diamond clear coat instead of e tex ? or perhaps another automotive type clear coat ? all i ever hear about is e tex & im curious as to why as there are several other brands & cure types.the diamond coat is very humidity sensitive,bubbles form if too moist & i need to apply 3 super thin coats but it is strong & did not yellow after 1 season.i want to try e tex after i use this up.btw my first plug that caught bass cost me about $1600 ! holy crap.now im tweaking my process & just trying to build the best i can.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:35 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kones View Post
has any of you builders tried diamond clear coat instead of e tex ? or perhaps another automotive type clear coat ? all i ever hear about is e tex & im curious as to why as there are several other brands & cure types.the diamond coat is very humidity sensitive,bubbles form if too moist & i need to apply 3 super thin coats but it is strong & did not yellow after 1 season.i want to try e tex after i use this up.btw my first plug that caught bass cost me about $1600 ! holy crap.now im tweaking my process & just trying to build the best i can.

I've tried several things ( as I may have posted before) never diamond coat...I make my prototypes coated in just plain lacquer... after just a few hours of fishing they develop severe hook rash.. they remind me of how good i've got it now with e-tex.... I've got plugs I coated with e-tex several years and 100'ds of fish latter that barely show any wear... I've got the e-tex process refined so it is flawless with no snags.. it endures well and is cost effective for me... I really have no reson to change...
Old 03-11-2012, 09:47 PM
Official Member

What about using Flexcoat as top coating ?
Old 03-12-2012, 11:55 AM

Flexcoat tends to yellow quite a bit and do it fairly quickly.
After it ages for a few years the shock of bouncing it off a rock makes it crack and peel, much more then Etex

If you get the Etex using one of those 40% off coupons from the big box craft stores, it's much cheaper then Flexcoat - also works great for rod building. Goes on clearer and stays clearer. I've done a number of rods with Etex and although Threadmaster is my favorite, If I'm out of that I'll go to Etex without hesitation before using Flexcoat.