A Plan for Long Island Night Access - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Striper Information & Services > Striped Bass Fishery Conservation / Politics / Management / News
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Striped Bass Fishery Conservation / Politics / Management / News Public Access / Politics/ Permits / Conservation Management / News

Old 11-11-2008, 11:51 AM

Default A Plan for Long Island Night Access

So I have been thinking about the lack of night kayak access we have on Long Island. Especially here on the south shore. If you want to fish at night itís a commando mission. How can we make the State of NY comfortable enough to open night access to our anglers?
1- Is it by having countless meetings with secret agendas that do not serve the entire kayaking community?
2- Is it by always fighting with the State every time you have a meeting to make your point?

Absolutely not then you need to ask yourself some questions

1- Are we being represented correctly?
2- If we are being represented correctly, then why hasnít anything changed?
3- Are we negotiating or are we demanding?
4- What are we offering the State in return for access?

These are the questions that have been perplexing me. I say I know a sure fire way to open access for night fishing. I say we concentrate on one area first, then move our way from there. If the State felt it would be safe they would gladly open access. We live in an age of endless litigation and the pursuit of personal gain by any means necessary! The State is well aware of this and is wary of any litigation against them, especially a wrongful death suit.

So while you are reading this youíre probably thinking is this just another guy who is whining or does he actually have a plan?

I might have a plan that might calm the minds of our beloved State officials.
If we all agree to do a mandatory Coast Guard course and a safety course taught by an ACA Instructor or qualified NYS Licensed Guides. This should not be a one shot deal there should also be refresher courses given every year. Also if we can get all NYS kayaking clubs to include mandatory self rescues before each trip and the State will start to take us seriously. These are real bargaining chips that can be used to gain our beloved night access to tame those elusive cows.

I have decided to take action on my own so maybe some open access will be available for the 2009 season. I am in the process of writing several letters to officials to introduce myself and to be included in any meetings or negotiations. I donít have many connections but the ones I do have will be invaluable to this cause. A family friend is a NYS Senator! I am sick and tired of not having the right representation for the Independent Kayak Fisherman. So instead of complaining and whining I will make the commitment to fight for the guys who are not interested in joining a club. The funny thing is that the amount of Indy guys out number the club guys 50-1.So we do have a huge voice and maybe its time to use my big mouth for some good. I will make available all the documents, letters and meeting minutes. Then everyone knows who is working for us and whoís working against us.

In my honest opinion that an independent voice whoís only agenda is open access will help to hold people accountable for there actions. We need more than one group to represent us and an Independent angler will be the breath of fresh hair we need. I will attend every meeting and I will keep on task to make sure that we will gain some access for our spring run. Once they see we are serious they will start to trust us and open night access. No excuses just a mission to gain night access for qualified anglers.*

Thank you,
Mike Johnston
*A qualified angler is one who has fufilled all requiremente

Hand Crafted Lures By Mike Johnston

Home of my Big Johnston Hooks
MSA 1776
NRA 78654

Coming Soon www.LIKFA.com

A site dedicated to open access and the Independent Kayak Angler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement