ASMFC assessment - - striped bass stocks are healthy - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Striper Information & Services > Striped Bass Fishery Conservation / Politics / Management / News
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Striped Bass Fishery Conservation / Politics / Management / News Public Access / Politics/ Permits / Conservation Management / News

Old 03-03-2008, 01:28 PM

Default ASMFC assessment - - striped bass stocks are healthy

ASMFC says striped bass stocks are healthy

By Nelson Sigelman - February 28, 2008
Striped bass stocks along the Atlantic coast are healthy and growing. An interstate management plan designed to protect the highly migratory striper is working and overfishing is not occurring, according to Federal regulators.
The positive assessment of the highly prized sportfish that is a mainstay of the Vineyard's recreational and charter-boat fishing industry was presented at a recent meeting of the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC). The 15-member body is responsible for managing species and implementing management plans along the East Coast.
According to a press release dated Feb. 5, ASMFC fishery scientists estimate that the number of fish capable of spawning is well above the target level and there have been several years of juvenile abundance
(see associated charts here).
ASMFC said that 2003 was a particularly strong year for one-year-old fish. Those five-year-old fish are commonly referred to as schoolies by Island fishermen and are not as prized as older, larger fish.

Photo by Tim Johnson. Click photo for larger version.

In an email to The Times, Nichola Meserve, ASMFC fisheries management plan coordinator, said records show that the number of fish ages eight and older has generally increased. The catch of large striped bass, age 13 and older weighing approximately 25 pounds and up, increased from 1982 to 2006.
"Additionally, catch of age 10, 11 and 12 has increased too," Ms. Meserve wrote. "There have been less age 7 and 8 fish in the catch recently, but it is expected that this trend will reverse in the next few years as the strong 2003 year class enters those size groups."
There are fishing organizations that disagree with that rosy assessment. In a recent press release Brad Burns, president of Stripers Forever, a web-based conservation group that supports sport fish status for striped bass, said that the numbers mask the real truth. He said, "As commercial and recreational removals continue at historically record levels, anglers from North Carolina to Maine are catching fewer and smaller stripers. Even through the fog created by the ASMFC's wildly vacillating stock assessment numbers, the real message is clear: by every measurement, fishing mortality on stripers is rising and the spawning stock biomass is shrinking."
Striped bass management has often been a contentious issue that divides recreational and commercial fishermen. Some recreational fishing groups, including Stripers Forever, oppose commercial fishing, contending that bass are more valuable as a recreational fish, and have pushed for gamefish status. Massachusetts commercial hook and line striped bass fishery is managed by a strict quota system.
According to the ASMFC, total striped bass harvest (commercial and recreational) in 2006 was estimated at 3.82 million fish, a 46-percent increase from 2002.
At 62 percent of the total Maryland accounted for a sizeable share of the commercial harvest.
The recreational catch, including discard losses, accounted for 79 percent of the total fishery removals in 2006, according to the ASMFC. Maryland recreational fisheries harvested 24 percent of total recreational landings in number, followed by Virginia (22 percent), New Jersey (18 percent), Massachusetts (12 percent), and New York (11 percent).
For more information on the ASMFC and fisheries stocks, go to www.asmfc.org.

article link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2008, 02:50 PM

Default Re: ASMFC says striped bass stocks are healthy

And the argument continues......................................

I feel qualified to make a statement,

Stop the commercial sale of Striped Bass!

Former son of, and former commercial fisherman.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Bowanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnySniper View Post

I 2nd that!!!!!
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:

Amen to that Gunny.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:49 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:

And each group twists the numbers in their favor....I also am a former comercial pin hooker... these fish are now farm raised, I personaly no longer see the need to harvest wild fish comercialy..

But if you ban comercial fishing, I'd like to see the hault of the growing numbers of striper tornuments... these things put a tremendous strain on the fishery.. if for nothing more than from the dead or dieing discards...

I also would love to see a coast wide slot limit.. with a recrational bag limit of 1 fish from 20-28" and a trophy clause of 1 fish greater than 45"...

Eat the small fish, they havent run the gauntlet yet.. the breeders have survived to pro create...
Old 03-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Wishin i was fishin

Both sides have different stories....I can only speak for me personally.....in the past few years I have been catching MORE and BIGGER fish then I have in the past....this may be a direct result of my experience getting better or it may be that the fishing population is a lot healthier, or both....But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if you stop allowing the taking of so many big fish along the coast that you're preserving your future, and your childrens future. History of the striper fishery from all you guys who fished in the 80's and 90's can vouch for that....
Old 06-23-2008, 06:25 AM

Reference Material

pdf chart of harvested and dead discards
Recreational and commercial 1988 to 2006
The recreational catch, including discard losses, accounted for 79 percent of the total fishery removals in 2006

According to the ASMFC, total striped bass harvest (commercial and recreational) in 2006 was estimated at 3.82 million fish, a 46-percent increase from 2002.
Estimates of total abundance on the East coast has been estimated at 60 to as high as 66 million fish.

Status of Fishery Resources off the Northeastern US
NEFSC
-Resource Evaluation and Assessment Division-

* interesting footnote on the NOAA's North East fishery Science center evaluation summary *

Assessment results indicate that the stocks of striped bass on the Atlantic coast are attaining their production potential and are generally being fished at or below their target fishing mortality. Concern expressed in public and scientific communities that the abundance of striped bass in Chesapeake Bay now exceeds the carrying capacity of this system. Continued work will be required to fully determine the optimal abundance of striped bass in the Bay.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:55 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
Reference Material

* interesting footnote on the NOAA's North East fishery Science center evaluation summary *

Assessment results indicate that the stocks of striped bass on the Atlantic coast are attaining their production potential and are generally being fished at or below their target fishing mortality. Concern expressed in public and scientific communities that the abundance of striped bass in Chesapeake Bay now exceeds the carrying capacity of this system. Continued work will be required to fully determine the optimal abundance of striped bass in the Bay.
I sure don't like the tone of this Jim. Sounds to me that more fish will be taken from the bay. Personally I think they need to remove all of the reduction boats from the bay and then there will be plenty of forage around for this now thriving fishery.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:29 PM

Default Re: ASMFC assessment - - striped bass stocks are healthy

Quote:
Concern expressed in public and scientific communities that the abundance of striped bass in Chesapeake Bay now exceeds the carrying capacity of this system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdnyfan
Sounds to me that more fish will be taken from the bay.
I agree . Lobbying by Politicians and special interests in Virginia no doubt starts with a few under the derby payoffs. The spin doctors are setting the stage early for a higher commercial take.
The simple short term and natural solution is that fish swim and will swim elsewhere to spawn in other estuaries if they are forced to. Darwin's theory on survival of the fittest.
Dogfish and bluefish are ravaging the forage base. Which begs the question Why in the world are dogfish on the protected species list?
The bunker are spawning further north than ever because the water is filthy. It is not filthy because of the abundance of fish but by farm land nitrogenous runoff.
Nitrates are broken down to nitrites in three ways. Biological - chemical and mechanical. After which the nitrites must be manually removed by water replacement in a closed system. (of which the Chesapeake isn't)
It would behoove the people of that region to invest in and set up a long term program that will greatly reduce the runoffs. Install an Oxygen infusion system like they are doing in Lake Thurmond in South Carolina and begin aquaculture farms and phosphate free fertilizer programs.
Otherwise the once great Chesapeake will die a slow and painful death that their children will pay the price for.
On the menhaden question
If people want Omega threes - aquaculture the fish and retool and charge accordingly. Supply and demand will dictate price and save the 200 or so jobs in Reedsville.