(# viewing) - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers on the Fly
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers on the Fly Discuss fly fishing for Striped Bass here. Fly tying, tips, tricks, reports, etc. Everything fly!

Old 06-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Bass Master

Default (# viewing)

Hello all,

I often feel as though there are a lot of lurkers and not as many contributors on these forums. I am online a lot while at work and notice tons of people viewing the fly forum however, the threads are rarely updated. People, a thread is only as good as those who contribute to the conversation. I know a lot of people have some great opinions and this is a very easy and good way to get your voice heard.

So instead just peeking at a thread, try to contribute. The only way this place will flourish is if we write. So lets end the 60 viewed one response fate that so begets many posts here and start a revolution!

POST! POST! POST! POST!

POST PICTURES!

POST INFO!

POST PATTERNS!

POST STORIES!

BUT PLEASE PLEASE POST!

This is a forum not a photo gallery! Lets get the conversation going!

[/rant]

-OTF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2009, 05:29 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Default Re: (# viewing)

OTF I think fly fishing the Salt is a curiosity to many who have no experience with it. They may be just trying to see what is going.

There are not a ton of fly guys on here aside from regulars. I personally like to throw fly's but it is not always a good option for me because i fish the Surf. The conditions that make surf fishing good are not always the same that make throwing a fly good. Once I get into a fly routine I will post up. Promise.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:45 PM

Actually there are several dozen fly guys here and some even Royalty.

Thanks for posting up OTF.
Perhaps it'll get up and going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2009, 12:19 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

sometimes it gets slow as we are fishing and reports are something we veer off as i won't ever post where or what i've been catching as you can see the lurkers only want info for that reason and some just are not into interacting. unfortunately we don't pursue the angling aspect of this site to the degree others do. there is so much to be said and done but i can barely handle what's on my plate and responsibility here. sorry we are not living up to expectations. i like your attitude and i welcome your contributions. i'll work on some stuff.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:08 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

I'll check in & out from time to time. But as you noticed, not much action.
I'm not even sure why I don't post.
Maybe because I'm a bit backwards in the fly fishing community?
I like simple. My gear is not the latest rave,, i don't get excited about L.L.Bean BVDs with fly prints,,, and I don't need one of every imaginably conceived pattern.
I get excited with a fish on the line,,, but the gear is simply a tool.
$100 pliers don't impress me none.
Being simple as I am,,, just don't have much to say about fancy stuff I guess.
I have a 1/2 doz flies that work for me 90% of the time. I'm not an exclusive fly fisher at all.
Being simple I think grates folks the wrong way most of the time so I shut up.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:33 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Simple is the way to go about it. Too often I have found my self changing flies or lures to closely imitate what is in the water when in fact what I started with generally will do the job so long as it is presented properly. There are so many gadgets and things that are all the rage now, When it comes to throwing a fly you are limited in casting distance whether your rod cost 200 or 1000 dollars but you have the upper hand as far as presentation goes. I am no purist I do what ever I can to catch a fish. If I could consistently throw a fly and land fish I would.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:25 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

if you can't catch a fish with a 90 dollar rod and 70 dollar fly reel then what makes ya think ya can catch anything with a 900 dollar rod and a 700 dollar reel? in all the days of my life i will never spend that much money to say "look at me"? if i had money to burn i would gladly have the best money can buy. i take good care of what i have. i have had friends show off gear they were "given" and proudly profess the likes of it but, i'm not impressed with the orvis poster boy. show me a fish or two. we never profess our expertise here and are a humble lot. i'm all ears and all heart when it comes to the guys i exchange banter with here. i applaud the effort to get things rolling as well. we can use some good posts i agree.