Northern Aqueduct Fishing? - Page 7 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > California - Lakes, Rivers, Bay and Delta > California Aqueduct
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 02-27-2013, 12:36 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Northern Aqueduct Fishing?

Thanks much for the info mike, I'll have to head out to grant line tomorrow and just walk tossing topwaters and flukes. Going the try a stretch of the stanislaus again today. Good luck out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 01:05 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher48 View Post
Thanks much for the info mike, I'll have to head out to grant line tomorrow and just walk tossing topwaters and flukes. Going the try a stretch of the stanislaus again today. Good luck out there.
look at google map find th gates thats were you want focus on, i went out last night made hundreds of casts for only 2 fish. somtimes u really have to work for them.

i let both go to get there spawn on
Old 02-28-2013, 10:28 PM
Official Member

Went out today out of grant line landed two little ones with tons of other lost bites. I was tossing chicken liver near the gates and under the bridges. Going to try using the magic string for the chicken livers next time. Can you walk the whole canal fishing or are there restricted areas? Good luck out there.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:11 AM
Striper Hunter

+1 on the magic string. You can also find it in the sewing department. Some times i just use thread just don't pull it too tight. It helps if you keep the chicken livers cool in a ice chest. I cut them with dollar store scissors it keeps the chicken livers from falling apart.
Tight lines,
Mike
Old 03-04-2013, 11:17 PM
First Mate

Walk or ride a bike all you want on the cali and mendota canals , i'm not to sure about the access to the water around the pumping plants. The bike trails runs the entire length of the aquaduct down to taft. Been catching a lot of stripers lately , seems to slow down a bit on the really cold days like last monday. 5 stripers in 2 hours on sunday two weeks ago and the following day it turned cold and no bites. Still catching on anchovies and hair raisers.No fishing to be had this week but i'll hopefully be out there again soon.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:17 AM
Striper Hunter

Haven't been out to the ducts lately been killing it trout fishing at the res. As soon as it warms back up I am going back to the ducts.
Tight Lines,
Mike
Old 03-07-2013, 10:52 PM
First Mate

Grass shrimp ??? has anyone tried these out at the ducts? might try fishing the cali tomorrow after work ... will hit the bay on sunday looking for sharks and rays.Lots of trout at los vaqueros , friend went out last weekend and landed a 26 incher with power bait. I like the cast master at the lake.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:35 PM
Striper Hunter

Never tried Grass shrimp at the ducts. Lets us know how it works for you. Chicken liver works great for strippers and catfish. Back when i was a kid we used fresh water clams and cut bait sardines or anchovies from the bait store. Catfish love clams we would use #6 hooks with them and # 1/0 with cut bait. A friend of mine uses fresh mackerel from a Asian store for bait. I want to give it a try.

Shark fishing is a blast i not been shark fishing in 40 years last i went i was a kid. You should have a lot of fun!

I have been using a new rig for trout it is working great so far. I have been using a slip sinker rig. I use a 18 inch leader i snell a hook 6 inches from the sinker and another at the bottom of the leader. When i first started using this rig i wasn't sure if i would hook fish the top hook. It is not a problem it hooks trout fine. I want to try this rig with catfish. I have friends that are die hard trout fisherman that fish with lures 90% of the time. They say if they could only have one lure it would be a gold Cast Master.
Tight lines,
Mike
Old 03-11-2013, 03:13 PM
Striper Hunter

Out here fishing in the Huron-Avenal area. Not many bites. Gates either low or closed. Was using anchovies, but switched to sardines and blood worms. Think i might just have to head north. Just got into fishing this yr. I usually fish at the gates set bait and wait. Anybody with luck out in the los banos area?
Old 03-13-2013, 01:22 AM
First Mate

Tried the Los Banos area a couple of months ago, nothing in the ducts but fished under the bridge where the water enters the forebay. I should have been on the west side of the bridge instead of the east. An 11 year old kid nailed a nice striper and they were getting more good bites on that side of the bridge using anchovies and an 18 inch leader with a sliding sinker .If I hit that area again it will be early to get the good spot on the side of the bridge facing the dam.There are a couple of good videos of guys catching from the west side of the bridge. The gates have been mostly open up here and only slow down in the evenings .....so far .Should be hot tomorrow ...good time to fish ? Just might be
Old 03-14-2013, 01:17 AM
First Mate

only one landed tonight .. 22 incher on anchovies. hit a new spot that's a little remote but we were able to drive up to the gates in tracy area.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:38 AM
Striper Hunter

Hooked 2 stripers today and 1 yesterday in the late evening. with Live Jumbo Minnows. Not too big 19 1/2 and 20 inches. Are the gates open up north?

Old 03-15-2013, 09:00 PM
First Mate

Someday I may get a cell phone ...someday LOL Yea I'm the last guy on the planet without a cell phone. Some nice pictures of your stripers jjimenez. the gates on the mendoto were half open the other day and the cali was slow and then stopped again at 5:30 pm. The remote corner we went to on wensday had some bigger fish feeding on top . I will be opening the shop at work tommorrow at 6 am and then straight out to fish the same spot with the hair raiser lure.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:04 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike56 View Post
Haven't been out to the ducts lately been killing it trout fishing at the res. As soon as it warms back up I am going back to the ducts.
Tight Lines,
Mike
looking at your modesto resevoir photo were you fishing at the dam? I have never fished the modesto resevoir but usally hit mcswain or turlock resevoirs with good success.your photos and catches make me want to try modesto.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:04 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnfield11 View Post
Someday I may get a cell phone ...someday LOL Yea I'm the last guy on the planet without a cell phone. Some nice pictures of your stripers jjimenez. the gates on the mendoto were half open the other day and the cali was slow and then stopped again at 5:30 pm. The remote corner we went to on wensday had some bigger fish feeding on top . I will be opening the shop at work tommorrow at 6 am and then straight out to fish the same spot with the hair raiser lure.
Yeah my cell has a nice camera 12 megapixels. Mendota has 2 canals? Today the gates were open in the huron area somewhat and that allowed alot of tumble weeds to flow. Horrible day to fish. I was out there maybe a hr and lost a rig, had to cut it. Thought id fish with a rattle but still got a bunch of weeds. Then just called it a day. I did get a catch 17 inch no keepers