Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Weapons of Bass destruction.

81K views 78 replies 44 participants last post by  kb 
#1 ·
This will be a multipost, how to series thread.If youyr looking for my honey holes or exact locations, stop reading now, this thread is not for you, if your interested in one mans perspective on everything bass...ENJOY!
This thread will cover many how to's and answer many questions that are commonly asked , in this thread, I will attempt to cover all I know about Lures, baits and rigs, I will cover fishing from a boat and from the surf, I will cover (with pictures) Plug, lure ( including making your own tubes) and jig(lead heads) making, some Items I will link to past posts of how to's I have posted, others will be new, I plan on covering live well systems ,including building a 30 gallon portable live well ....
I will go through using wire line for trolling plugs and jigs, the use of lead core for trolling the tube and worm.

I will follow the seasons, from the spring run, to the summer doldrums to the fall run, this will be a sort of .log of my fishing so to teach how I adapt to each condition and season, I will cover and illistrate the trapping and capture of live bait, including mackerel and eels, I will show livelining methods I use to use these baits, I will go over the set up of my boat and explain (with pictures) exactly why I have things like I do, when my season ends I will go through the winterizing of the boat, step by step, I will show how to clean and re-lube a Penn 750 SS ,Shimno Bait runner 4500 as well as a Penn 49L mariner series...
I will illistrate (with pictures) how to repair a broken guide and tip..

So put on your reading glasses pay attention and visit the thread often, tomorrow will be the first part of the series, I will Identify various plugs, provide a brief history of some of them, paying homage to the great men that created them, I will then explain their intended use and explain what conditions I use them for.... this should be fun.

See less See more
#59 ·
Great information! Thanks guys.

I'm looking for a thread (if there is one) about how to tie on a teaser, and also for one about making your own hi-low rig. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I may be just missing it.

Two of my last three trips were pretty successful. The bass have been taking the clams on fishfinder rigs... My main problem is the skates and crabs.. which is why I'm thinking about making a few hi-low rigs and trying them out. The first two of the three trips I saw over 10 fish, up to 20lbs. The third didn't go so well..

I hit the water about 4am on Monday morning. Saw plenty of fish splashing around the surface, bass or blues I am not sure of, it was very dark. I got the clams from a new bait shop, and they happened to be heavily salted. I had no problems keeping the bait on the hook, but many problems in the fact that no fish would touch them. Anyone have similar problems with fresh vs. fresh salted clams?

As it became lighter out, I noticed the two boats that were around me were also using clams, but they were taking fish left and right. Both seemed to be drifting back bait from anchored boats, as well as casting the bait.. I'm unfamiliar with the methods of casting clams. Can anyone suggest a rig to use for this, and any methodology behind it?

I'm sorry for so many questions, just starving for knowledge! Thanks in advance. You all are a great help and this is a great message board! Hopefully soon enough I'll be able to share some more of my own experiences and techniques.

#65 ·
Well according to the callender, it's spring, I wouldnt have known it stepping outside this morning.... so, time to ramp up this thread, I'll be working on some new things for the upcoming season to share with everyone.. my first "post" will be on bait tanks and how to build one, seeing is is an often asked subject... so stay tuned... I've got some plans for this thread that Ineed to put to pictures....

Roc

#66 ·
I have been looking over this and I am quite interested in making my own jigs. God knows I need another past time that will cost a little more money :whistle:

So my question to you guys would be. Where is the best place to try and purchase the equipment that will be needed for this? I have found a few places online, but quite honestly I do not know what type of equipment I will be needing. There is a plethora of different types of jig molds and melting pots. For a good solid striper jig what type of jig head mold do I need? Also for someone just making things for myself, how big of a smelting pot would I need to look into?
Sorry for all the newb questions. But Looking at this site has really gotten me into wanting to become a little more personally involved in my fishing. Instead of just going to the local store and buying everything I would like to start putting my own personal touches on them.
Thank for any advise!
:yourock:

#67 ·
Do-It Hot Lips Jig (Smiling Bill) mold 3/4, 1, 1.5 oz

Mustad jig hooks model 34185D size 7/0 - you'll have to use a dremel to widen the mold to fit these hooks but they're much stronger and better then the hooks the mold was designed for. It's worth the extra work

A decent bottom pour lead pot, I use a Lee

An old toaster oven to heat the jigs for powder painting and a selection of powder paints

#70 ·
lots of info thanks for taking the time most wont.. will they all work in both salt and fresh water? i have a few eels i bought when i was down in sheepshead for jigging off the party boat and was thinking of casting one off shore in upper hudson river to see what happens bettin i stick in a rock of some kind hope its the fish one... figured id ask

#73 ·
All of those poppers and swimmers look great, but they're enormous, except for the chub creek strikers and the knuckle head which I already have and arent doing a damn thing in Bass River. Does size matter? (that what she said) But seriously am i just using them wrong? Color patterns? I have a black chub creek striker. should i be looking for like dark green?. I use a little hopkin's too sometimes, and that has a track record of absolutely nothing as well lol. I can see fish jumping all around me. but the water is very calm unless they're breaking the surface eatin. surface poppers no good? Ive got a broken back rebel that casts about 5 feet off the dock and havent had anything with that. basically im the worst fisherman on cape cod. a pinnisula named after a fish... awesome. help please:notworthy:

#78 ·
hey ole man? how ya been?..

><<<<<THE ROC STUNNER>>>>>>>:
simple tips that are given by masters of destruction.
imagine how many years one would have to fumble with these critters before figuring out wtf? selfless and informative and all at the drop of a hat. not many sites are as understanding to the newbie... but we have always been that site that helps the newcomer. i have made fun of and beat up those that just are dopey or unable to focus... but, i always help and if it's my way of getting them to snap out of it then so be it. we had many nights fishing and talking about the subject and, no matter how many knuckleheads there were "and they are countless" we muddled thru and kept on being that way. i just wanted to ramble on. weather's getting better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.