Lake Anna / Potomac River / VA - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Virginia's Rivers, Lakes and Impoundments
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 11-07-2004, 05:45 AM
First Mate

Default Lake Anna / Potomac River / VA

Borderline 20" fish hitting freelined live bait in both upper river arms of Anna. Bridges and sharp bends appear to have the most fish holding right now.

301 bridge is holding some short fish on the bottom with double bucktail jigs taking the majority of them. Water will cool this month and pull the big boys up to the bridge.
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2004, 11:22 PM

Mike, welcome to Stripers247, being up here in NH I gotta get my striper fix from you guys further south this time of the year
Old 11-07-2004, 11:27 PM

Hey brother, try hitting the Lower Ceder Point rock pile with some jigs, don't count out the drop out in front of St. Clements either, thanks for the report! Nice fish up in the shallows from the bridge thru point lookout. Big topwaters seem to be doing the trick.

Pull em' off da rocks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2004, 06:34 AM
First Mate

darkriver4362
Quote:
Hey brother, try hitting the Lower Ceder Point rock pile with some jigs, don't count out the drop out in front of St. Clements either, thanks for the report! Nice fish up in the shallows from the bridge thru point lookout. Big topwaters seem to be doing the trick.
Sounds like these areas are further south than I currently go? I have a 19' bass boat that I use for the river and the lakes in VA. Do you ever get up toward the 301 bridge?

I was catching some small fish yesterday at Anna. No big ones yet. They just started to ball up the shad and the water temp needs to get down in the mid 50's for them to school up by size. Maybe this week?
Old 11-08-2004, 06:41 AM
First Mate

Steve,
NH huh? I was thinking about that yesterday when I was fishing in my shorts and tee shirt on the lake :)
Old 11-08-2004, 01:58 PM

gonna be time to dig out the ice fishin stuff here soon, works pretty good, you drive your truck right out onta the ice..........
Old 11-08-2004, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesxpress
darkriver4362
Quote:
Sounds like these areas are further south than I currently go? I have a 19' bass boat that I use for the river and the lakes in VA. Do you ever get up toward the 301 bridge?

I was catching some small fish yesterday at Anna. No big ones yet. They just started to ball up the shad and the water temp needs to get down in the mid 50's for them to school up by size. Maybe this week?
I usually am out between Cuckold Creek and St. Georges Island, Nomini Bay is hot for trout at certain times of the year.

I don't get up near the bridge much except to fish the power plant. Ever since I hooked the 52 incher (2 years ago) up there on that tiny 4" Bass Assassin, I visit there as much as I can in Dec, Jan, Feb.

The Lower Cedar Point rocks are about 3/4 of a mile from the 301 bridge, if you do want to try some rock pile fishin' upriver hit Maryland Point or Mathias Point, what I meant in my first post was Upper Cedar Point, I think....lol....we just call it Morgantown Point, but either way....if you can put out at Colonial Beach, VA, you have lots of opportunities down river on both MD and VA sides for some shallow water action.

Creeks and creek mouths are hot right now in the mornings and evenings when the current is moving.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:23 AM
First Mate

Steve,
Did that in Colorado for 9 years. ATV on the ice pulling the sled with the auger and shelter for cut bows and lake trout through the hole. Traded all that stuff for a rifle before I left in 2002. Burrrrrrr, best trade I ever made.

Glad to be back on the east coast and SOUTH!
Old 11-15-2004, 07:29 AM
First Mate

The fish in Anna are still hitting the live bait. Wanted to be in the Potomac Sat, but the wind was a little to bad for that.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:34 AM
Reports and Info Dude
Got a Little Captain in you?

Lake Anna

Anna Point Marina, (540) 895-5900, reported fishing was excellent early last week until the cold rains came. The hard rains put a damper on weekend fishing. The water temperature dropped four degrees at the marina to 46. Rising, cold and muddy water make fishing tough now in the upper reaches of the lake. The best bet is to fish below the 208 bridge, the farther down-lake the better. The dike 3 area and the creeks, namely Rockland, Dukes, and Levy, are the best bets during cold spells. The water is still clear down-lake. After a cold rain, fish pull out toward the mouths of the creeks and sit on the edges of the creek channels. Fishing for the next few days will be tough.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:21 AM
Veteran Elite

Default Fishing Buddies

Ok, so I've decided to spend alot more time out on the water than out tearing up the nights with the boys this year. Have gotten a pretty good start. Got down to the outer banks THanksgiving weekend, and have hit Lake Anna half a dozen times since christmas. I'll go fishing by myself, however two sets of eyes, and two sets of rods always out perform 1 :D I go with my cousin, father and daughters, but several times I have wanted to go and end up out by myself. I live in Manassas, and have two boats to take out. My cousin has a 3rd, larger and set up for the bay so we're usually set up and filled up when we're out on that one. The bass boat I will take out on the bay but it must be flat and I won't take it far. I prefer to take it out on the Tangier sound, but sound fishing has pretty much sucked for the last two summers. So if you're looking for someone to tag along with, or someone to tag along with you let me know.....I'm ready to reel them in.