Best Baitrunner Reel - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Reels and Reel Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Reels and Reel Maintenance Reel Maintenance and schematics - Discussion on spinning and conventional fishing reels - teardowns and hard to find parts

Old 10-18-2009, 06:25 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Best Baitrunner Reel

I just want to throw a reel into the mix. Is it the best Bait runner I doubt it, but it is a very nice reel for the money. This reel will also outcast most or all of the others listed. I had tried one of these and they will cast a country mile-it's the Tica Abyss TF Series Long cast spinning reel-abit heavy though. Some of the best casting spinning reels (longest) just happen to be the Tica's. To bad they are not the most durable, but for under a $100 you can buy a few. These reels are about as smooth as you can get(when they are new) I have also seen a few Ticas down in NC (Uncle's) that are a few years old and well abused working just fine-but I have also seen some less then a year old that were junk. One thing is Tica does(as I'm told) have a pretty decent warranty policy.
For the toughest I agree with Sudsy-Thunnus but a day of casting will feel like you were at the gym doing curls and military presses

It's also to bad that Shimano has about 6 different BaitRunner reels in Europe(maybe more) this also goes the same for other makers. The only reason I can imagine that they don't offer these reels in the US is many of them are used in freshwater for monster catfish, but also many of these models are small and light-go figure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009, 01:19 PM
Official Member

I gotta cast my vote for the shimano 4500. I know they're not being made anymore, but you can get them used online. I really like the metal, hate the plastic of the newer reels out there. One of the reasons I won't buy another Penn. The Thunnus is great, but we fish rivers a lot. IMO for the surf guy when you get to the point where you need a reel like the Thunnus, you have graduated to bigger fish and should start using the conventionals to turn those bigger fish. Just my .02.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
IMO for the surf guy when you get to the point where you need a reel like the Thunnus, you have graduated to bigger fish and should start using the conventionals to turn those bigger fish. Just my .02.
The Thunnus 12000F has more cranking power and drag then an Abu 7000.
They use em for tuna !
I nearly skip keeper size bass across the top with the thing

Don't get me wrong, I love my conventionals, but there are times when the spinner is better, like having to get some distance lobbing soft baits with light weights especially into the wind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
They use em for tuna !

Don't get me wrong, I love my conventionals, but there are times when the spinner is better, like having to get some distance lobbing soft baits with light weights especially into the wind.
Yep Sudsy, that pesky wind can be a problem sometimes. In that case I would definitely agree a spinner has a little more finesse. It can take a perfectly good night when the fish are feeding and make it that much harder to present, unless you're JimmyZ or Roddy or one of those conventional sharpies..
Old 11-04-2009, 08:50 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
They use em for tuna !

I'm not sure where the Thunnus is with drag power but the new D series Baitrunner is no slouch with 20lbs. on the 6000D & 8000D models and 25 lbs. on the 1200D

Ah I just checked and the Thunnus only comes in at 17 lbs drag. The Thunnus has 4.6:1 and the D is 4.8:1 gearing. I don't own either but have tried the D series and like it very much plus I like that they shaved some weight off the mid size models.

Just want to add that even 17lbs is a lot of weight to be holding back when fighting a large fish. Just try pulling that weight for 20 minutes straight, it will feel like your arms are going to fall off. Heck a Twin-Spin has 44lbs drag which is insane and their ATD will total lock down to 70# pressure. I would not mind getting my hands on the new Boss. I know these are not baitrunners but I just love those Accurates, wish they would make a slightly lighter spinas 26 oz is a bit to cast all day.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:18 AM
Lunker

used 4500 baitrunners are getting scooped up on e bay for nice $$$
I guess people are trying to stock up on the discontinued models
Im going to try and grab another one myself