Welcome To All The New Guys!!! - Page 8 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > New Member Introductions
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New Member Introductions Please introduce yourself to the members of Stripers247.com

Old 03-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Striper Hunter

Smile Re: Welcome To All The New Guys!!!

hello everyone,love fishing for striper's in the Hudson troy area federal dam.did not do so good last year but i did get some good tips off your articles. can not wait for first week in may, 2010 i fish from a boat and use live herring and also chunk herring looking for tips, how deep, what time in the morning,tide going in or tide going out.should i anchor and fish bridge abutment? cant wait to here some tips thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2010, 12:52 PM
wellsley

Default Re: Welcome To All The New Guys!!!

Hello everyone,
I'm new to the board and striper fishing. So I have alot to learn. I live in up state NY about 1 1/2 hours from the Hudson river. I plan to fish the Hudson river launching in either Catskill or Henry Hudson Park in Ravena. I have a Crestliner 1600 SC with 50hp merc, Humminbird 917c fishfinder/gps, cannon manual downrigger. Look forward to learning and getting alot of tips for a beginner. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:27 AM
Official Member

Hello! I am from Maryland and work at the Conowingo Dam. It's almost time to spill at the dam. Monday should be around ten gates. This may cloud the flats once again for fishing. Hope it clears within the week..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2010, 09:32 PM
Official Member

Hi. I am hoping to find stripers on the hudson river. I guess I'll have to invest some serious time fishing and learning the waters. Good fishing to all this season.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:28 AM

Member # 13,300
Old 03-23-2010, 01:38 AM
I should be fishin'

Hello All,

West Coast striper fisherman here. Nothing better than a striper hitting a lure on retrieve!!

Hope to learn some new techniques here! Now for another Beer!!!
Old 03-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Official Member

I found this wonderful site today.

I'm more of a sailor. I have a Marshal Sanderling Catboat which is in Waquoit Bay, Falmouth, MA.

I recently got downsized from my former company and have decided to dedicate the rest of my career to the boating industry.

I'm taking my Captain's License ( Through Mariners Learning System) exam in May. I plan on trying to start a sailing instruction school in Falmouth, MA this summer.

I have 4 brothers that come on my boat to fish for stripers and blue fish. Two of my brothers fish competively traveling significant distances to compete. I will like this site because I can get some education about fishing. Then my brothers would be very impressed because I am currently clueless.

If anybody wants to learn to sail on Cape Cod let me know. Great rates, I just want some company. I will look forward to spending much more time on this web site.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:23 PM
I should be fishin'

Welcome to all the noobies from........a noobie!!
Old 03-25-2010, 07:01 PM
Official Member

great board awesome info
Old 04-16-2010, 11:23 PM
Official Member

Great site, Im fairly new here so I will be posting more this summer once the boat is in the water. I fish the hudson around Fishkill/Newburgh area. See you guys out there!!
Old 05-19-2010, 01:04 AM
Striper Hunter

I found this site recently while searching striper tips. It's been a wealth of info! I fish all of the time with my 4 boys. My 5 year old got his 1st largemouth last year. Striper fishing is new to us but I've been up late every night learning more and more from you guys. We've only caught 3 eels(which we left on for bait) and one small cat. I see that some advise using a float on the leader. I'll be trying that. Also, my leaders have only been 18", after much reading,looks like I'll need to go a bit longer. We fish from shore, does anyone know if it's a good idea to try a sabiki rig from shore? I don't see why not, I just thought I'd ask. Thanks for all of the tips!!!
Old 05-19-2010, 10:26 AM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

If your comfortable with an 18" leader stick with it especialy if your using mono as main line. If using braid i would replace the tip with SIC(silicone carbide) as the braid will eat up aluminum oxide tip guides on the cast. If you decide to use sabiki rigs off the shore line i would remove the last two or three hooks off the bottom so it wouldn't snag as easy or to be frugal i would cut the rig in half and attach a 8"-10" leader on the bottom end that connects to the sinker.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcappy View Post
If your comfortable with an 18" leader stick with it especialy if your using mono as main line. If using braid i would replace the tip with SIC(silicone carbide) as the braid will eat up aluminum oxide tip guides on the cast. If you decide to use sabiki rigs off the shore line i would remove the last two or three hooks off the bottom so it wouldn't snag as easy or to be frugal i would cut the rig in half and attach a 8"-10" leader on the bottom end that connects to the sinker.
Thanks alot! I am using mono; as for the sabikis, I just picked them up. I will try your advice. Frugality is important these days as I am laid off.(Plenty of time to study up!!)I just wish I knew about the striper run earlier. I'm usually too busy trout fishing this time of the year. Well, hopefully there is still time.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
03-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Re: Welcome To All The New Guys!!!

Member # 13,300
The tally is now 14,276
1000 new members in < 2 months - I would say thats fairly impressive.

Another striped bass forum owner once told me to do myself a favor and get a real board instead of the bravenet spam board a few years back. - Thanks for the advice -
Old 05-19-2010, 03:08 PM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

WOW! That's great. Good job Jim.