Rod lathe/wrapper - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Rods And Custom Rod Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rods And Custom Rod Building Discuss on fishing rods & on custom rod building here. Saltwater and freshwater Rods

Old 08-03-2010, 08:29 AM
Official Member

Default Rod lathe/wrapper

Does anyone have a suggestion on a good rod lathe for a someone who is just getting started.

JD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Rod lathe/wrapper

I use the pac bay. Bought it from the mudhole. I know one of my friends just started by cutting "V"s in wooden blocks and lining it with felt and used a motor from an old sewing machine. Thing I like about the pac bay is when doing long underwraps the thread carriage automatically follows along the length of the wrap thereby saving time and making that portion a lot easier. I saw some knock off versions on ebay but nothing nearly as good and for the few extra $$ I went with the better setup
Old 08-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Striper Hunter

Here's my setup in my basement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2010, 11:15 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

I agree, however if you are willing to be patient and keep your first try simple, then you may want to start with a wooden V notch system. Once you get comfortable with more challenging stuff like spine finding, reel seat setting, and guide placement you'll have more confidence. None of that is particularly difficult coincidently.

Fiberglass surf blanks are fun and easy to work with. I find fresh water rods with single foot guides more difficult and tedious.