Lamiglass - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Rods And Custom Rod Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rods And Custom Rod Building Discuss on fishing rods & on custom rod building here. Saltwater and freshwater Rods

Old 03-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Lamiglass

As we all know MA striper fever is as strong as ever lol. I had planned this year to buy a Ron Arra rod and was told not to b/c issues with the rods breaking! Is this true, being a common problem? The next step up I was looking at was the Lamiglass super surf its not too much more but like for a lot of people money is tight! I've been using lesser quality of rods for the last I don't know how many years and wanted to step it up a bit. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010, 11:19 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Lamiglass

Don't know about the Arra problems. I did buy one over the winter and plan to try it this season. I am building a super surf rod. Love the blank and can't wait to finish it. Next after than is a Lami GSB blank.

Love the Lami's....and the St Croix's
Old 03-09-2010, 03:53 AM

It's always a tough proposition recommending gear to people. Everyone is different - fishes differently and has different needs -limitations - body frames - longer arms - shorter legs - strong as hell - weak and sickly -yada Yada yada.
Assumming your looking for a surf spinning rod - lamiglas is quality and carries a lifetime guarantee. Enough said. If it breaks send it back in a pvc case and $20 bucks. Some people like the super surfs, some dont. Me personally i dont.
Doesnt matter what i like - you may love it. St Croix is quality as well. Some St, Croix rods - mainly their surf line only carry a 5 year warranty. Check before buying, you want a lifetime warranty if possible.
The gsb lamiglas line is great IMO.
It's the terminal end presentation that catches the fish - what gets it out there and back is a matter of preference, trial and error.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2010, 07:40 AM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Hi Arthur i have an arra 1322 Spinning. I love it I know people that hate the rod. Pay attention to the recommendations from Lami on lure wt. I have heard of people breaking their rod on the cast just because they over loaded it. I didn't break mine last year. It looks like hell but it didn't break
Old 03-09-2010, 12:58 PM

1. Here's the deal, any high modulus graphite rod is going to be more fragile then a lower modulus rod. For example, the Arra and the Super Surf are going to be more fragile then a Lami Surf and Jetty (GSB) series.
That being said, both the Arra and SS can take some abuse. So long as you don't subject them to deep scratches or try to throw them hard with an overload you should be fine. I have an Arra that's been through the war and is still going strong - but I'm extremely careful with it when I'm on a jetty. It has some surface scuffs but nothing deep enough to compromise its strength.

As for choosing between a SuperSurf or Arra, I watched two guys snap their SS's on the cast last year, I've never seen anyone snap an Arra on the cast.

Not to throw a monkey wrench into it but you might also want to take a look at the St Croix Mojo and the Seeker Baby Ulua (sp?) Both are excellent all around plugging choices.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Striper Hunter

Lol thank you Sudds. Really thank you all for your input. All have good points presentation is key of course and getting it out there..I give it a lot and to snap a rod that costs what they do I would be extremely disappointed if one broke on the cast. I have been fishing the canal for the last 4 yrs(?) trying to learn it and will continue to. I'm just looking to upgrade from what I have now but still to use what I have also. This particular rod will probably be a fast action spinning rod able to throw things that are light, up to a few ounces. It drives me crazy seeing the stripers hitting small baitfish in the canal just out of casting distance with what I have on hand now. I'll probably use a braid with a 20 lb break strength, not 100 percent sure though that this will be the particular set up but am leaning in that direction. I don't plan on throwing the rod around on the rocks or anything just a particular shop owner was telling me not to get an arra unless it is acquired for a very low price (ya right) b/c of breakage issues. I won't get into the shimano reel he was dissing either saragosa (cough) that was planned for the rod.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Pro Staff

For the canal you should be going heavy! Heavy! if they are on small stuff Try a jig head (set up to the current up to 5 ozes at times in there) and gulp jerk shads or a buck tail. Those should cast like crazy! Lami is sending out new stuff soon so you might be able to find Arras for less money. I saw Them this weekend at the MSBA show for as low as 160
Old 03-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Striper Hunter

Jack I know all too well about the heavy lol. Right now the rod I'm using I don't like pushing more than 4 ounces at a time b/c I know that's about all "she" can take. Ron Zs the large shads etc. If I could have two rods on hand one for the "heavy" and then one for when the time calls I'll be fairly happy. That is partially why I'm not sure on if this will be a lighter action rod or if I'll step it up a bit for throwing top water and use the other rod for jigging. So many choices. I ultra light fish with 4 lb test in fresh and yes salt also as far as fresh goes there are times I wish for having a heavier rod for jigging off the bottom. As far as the canal goes I like fishing it and find the fish most times but it is a different animal, a learning curb that will take many years! Arras for 160..sign me up lol. If I could just find them for that price...
Old 03-23-2010, 03:17 PM
First Mate

If you were at the expo in NJ an Arra could have been had for about $180 to $185 cash(maybe abit less) I paid under $200 for my Surf Jetty out the door

I still feel that maube I should have got the Mojo. That is why I may just get one anyway

Some how I missed a few posts(the last one from Sudsy) I would have bought the Seeker Baby ULUA but I could not get one on the spot. I could have ordered a blank and then waited to have built(5+ weeks). I have only heard good things about the Seeker. I'm going to see about a factory one if available. Here is copy and paste from a different user
What it is?
This is in a nut shell a lighter version of the Super Seeker C-ULUA93H which is a all S-glass rod and built heavy for Pacific style fishing. This blanks taper is better suited for plugging East Coast! The new blank which was made by request of Grumpys Tackle in Seaside N.J. is a composite blank simialar to a SS in that it's a Graphite butt and S-glass top section. S-glass is stronger then E-glass by at least 30% and has compression strength that graphite alone can't and prolly never will match.

Hows it's action?
WOW! It surprised the Hell out of me! I thought it was going to be a thick stick with a floppy tip. Wrong!! The tip is soft, But! It has a ton of power and it comes on strong. It seems that it would load easy and then just take off. I still would rate the action as a Med. blank, although! It recovers quite fast and it bends deep and gets in to what I call "Powerband Mode" and it seems to take off!! We all know a blank can act different after built so we'll see! Put it this way I can't wait to cast some weight and fight a good fish on this

It ain't no joke!! I haven't built this blank yet but I did mess a bit with a built up proto of a heavier version. These composite Seekers and Super Seekers all have this Balls to the Wall strength and most aren't much different acting then what you would see in Billy's pictures. Bull Strong!! I wish I had thought of this blank and it's concept.

Thank you turning me onto this rod Sudsy

I apologize as this was supposed to go on the lami thread, that is why I did not see some of the posts-different thread
Old 03-23-2010, 05:10 PM
Veteran Elite

I snapped my 11ft arra last year. I will never go 2 piece again. Go with a 1 piece and don't have the factory build it. I also have a SS which is a 1pc I love the rod but it was also factory and not well built. I have that one in the shop getting fixed after 1 season with it. The cork tape they use is JUNK.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbass View Post
For the canal you should be going heavy! Heavy! if they are on small stuff Try a jig head (set up to the current up to 5 ozes at times in there) and gulp jerk shads or a buck tail. Those should cast like crazy! Lami is sending out new stuff soon so you might be able to find Arras for less money. I saw Them this weekend at the MSBA show for as low as 160
$160? What models? I can't even find a decent arra blank anywhere for less than the 200 range. Was it factory or custom? I'm wondering if they were blems. Did you get one? CMS had a nice 1322 1pc wrapped fro $309.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:38 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKBAYJ View Post
$160? What models? I can't even find a decent arra blank anywhere for less than the 200 range. Was it factory or custom? I'm wondering if they were blems. Did you get one? CMS had a nice 1322 1pc wrapped fro $309.
$160 seems like a stretch. I could have got one(Arra 10') at the NJ expo for around $180 cash out the door. I do know where there is a sweet 1204 custom used a couple times for around $200. From what I'm told it looks new and is built by a very good rod builder. With a little haggling it may be had for a bit less
Old 03-23-2010, 06:40 PM
Pro Staff

I bought the 9 footer 1-4 oz spinning 1084 maybe. I bought it last weekend at RISSA for 159. I couldn't let it go.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Pro Staff

Factory Rod
Old 03-23-2010, 08:32 PM
Striper Hunter

own and regularly fish a factory 1322-2. nice rod but, will probably never buy one again. at least not factory built. spline is a bit off and after a half season of hard fishing problems arose in the eye wraps. holes appeared in the epoxy which actually honeycombed through. sent emails to lami, never got a response, finally spoke to them on the phone. they try the stonewall tactic. a friend has also had problems with their cs