Need advice on light action reel. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Reels and Reel Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Reels and Reel Maintenance Reel Maintenance and schematics - Discussion on spinning and conventional fishing reels - teardowns and hard to find parts

Old 07-17-2009, 02:23 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Need advice on light action reel.

I am currently using a Pflueger President model 30 for my light action rod to catch small Striper's....2 to 4 pound range....and White Bass. Needless to say after 3 months of constant use and an untold number of small Striper's caught this reel has gone belly up. My thinking is it just can't take that many hits from Stripers and I am using fluorocarbon so there is no stretch. I have several of these reels and use them for other fresh water species and they hold up fine. I am thinking of getting the Penn Spinfisher Graphite 430SSG. It is a salt water reel and BPS tells me they think it will hold up. Does anyone have any experience with this reel or have any other ideas? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2009, 08:00 AM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Default Re: Need advice on light action reel.

Hi Alpha,

I own a 450ssg and it is not a bad reel for light action stuff. It is plenty light and should hold enough line for what you will be using it for. The 430 seems a bit small.

That being said I would go online and look for a lighter Shimano in similar Price range. Or even the Smaller Boca. BPS seems to be bait over priced for these items.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:13 PM

Daiwa SS Tournament Whiskar, either 1600 or 2600 size.
Case closed, period, no arguments accepted

My 1600 caught probably close to 1000 fish over 15 years before it finally needed a $17 service to bring it back to new.

Great drag, IMHO the best in any reel of that size, and it casts great. It's one of the very first long cast spool designed reels and can still compete for distance with any reel of it's size out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2009, 10:44 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
Daiwa SS Tournament Whiskar, either 1600 or 2600 size.
Case closed, period, no arguments accepted

My 1600 caught probably close to 1000 fish over 15 years before it finally needed a $17 service to bring it back to new.

Great drag, IMHO the best in any reel of that size, and it casts great. It's one of the very first long cast spool designed reels and can still compete for distance with any reel of it's size out there.
Thanks for the reply. I own a SS 2600 already with 50# braid on it. I agree with you 100% about the reel but I wanted something with instant anti-reverse for small fish...not just baby Striper's. I just got back with the Shimano Sahara 2500. I have 30 days to try it out. If I don't like it back it goes and then I will get the SS 1300. I fish 5 days a week and it is the time of year here in TN when the White Bass and Striper's are on a tear below the dams here and will be until middle of September. It is common to catch 300 fish in 6 or 7 hours. Most of these will be White Bass but out of that 300 there will be around 50 Striper's lurking below them that hit my spoon. That is what has done my reel in. I will be able to tell in 2 weeks of fishing if this reel can take it or not. This is not my Striper reel but it has to handle the occasional baby one and sometimes a 10 or 12 pounder. The anti-reverse is certainly not needed for Striper fishing but I have come to rely on it for other species. At least I know that if I have to go back the SS 1300 will hold the line capacity I want for 6 pound fluorocarbon and it will take the beating. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I can personally vouch for the drag on the Daiwa SS series....never had a drag that is as good on any reel I have ever owned. Oh, if anyone has a comment about me and instant anti-reverse thing it is probably more of a head thing than anything else....LOL

Regards