freshwater rod and reel setup for Raystown - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Pennsylvania's Lakes, Rivers and Impoundments
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 02-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Official Member

Default freshwater rod and reel setup for Raystown

New to landlock stripers and looking for suggestions. I will be fishing Raystown Lake located in Pennsylvania from shore in the spring and was thinking of running 15lb braid( 6lb mono diameter) with a mono leader on a 7ft medium heavy uglystick with spinning reel which would give me about 300 yards of line to play with. Would this be a reasonable setup or should I go with something more like the shakespeare big cat/striper rods? Any suggestions and/or links pointing to certain setups would be appriecated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2009, 07:33 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Re: freshwater rod and reel setup for Raystown

get a reel that is capable of landing a 30 or 40# fish. you may not get a big girl from the shore but not out of the realm of possibility. you don;t need to beef up the ugly stik. braid is iffy imo (unless your are fishing from a boat) as there is alot to snag on and if you are using redfins/bombers/jigs/etc, this is a disaster waiting to happen for you. stick with a 17# ande or a fluoro line like yo-zuri hybrid. a 20# fluoro leader. i would go as low as 15# test and a 20# leader as you can still manage a big fish if you are careful. personally, i would use 10# test line with a 20# fluoro leader. as you can cast some of your jerkbaits a little easier. but whatta i know about fishing in that lake anyway.