epoxy question - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:29 PM

Default epoxy question

Hey guys, just expoxied my first batch (5) and they were looking great. I don't have anything to turn them except me. Well, about two hours of drying I decided to move them across the room and three came in contact w/each other.........I thought they'd settle a little more but they didn't.Anyone have this happen and what did you do.....they don't look good Markg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2009, 08:53 PM

Default Re: expoxy question

Let them dry for a couple of days.
Sand out the high spots with, 80, 120, and if desired 220 grit. The final sanding should be the entire plug.
Recoat and don't touch the friggin things till they are dry!
Old 02-10-2009, 11:22 PM

Thanks a bunch gunny,should have never had there when i knew i was going turn some plugs later.Chit happens and i'll be learning the hard way for a bit.I'll post some pics when finished.....thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2009, 11:37 PM
First Mate

i do my freshwater plugs the same way lol... no way to spin them so i hang them and spin and switch them for a while untill they get to the point were i can just leave them to dry
Old 02-11-2009, 12:16 AM

Default Re: epoxy question

I use the flip technique

Cut lengths of heavy coat hanger wire and after the body is milled and sealed I run the wire through.
Put a small bend in the center of the wire to keep the plug from twisting.
Bend a hook on each end and it becomes a handle for painting, epoxying and hanging in the drying rack.
Obviously I no longer do the spinning thing for curing the epoxy, gone to the flip method. Less aggravation, works just as well.
When the last coat of epoxy is dry, snip off one of the hooks, give it a twist and pull it right out.
I get about 3 plugs per wire until it's too short to use anymore, two wires out of each coat hanger.

I use heavy rubber bands to hold them to a PVC frame so I can flip em all at once rather then one at a time, which invites mistakes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Epoxy Drying rack 2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	9814

Click image for larger version

Name:	Epoxy Drying rack 1_247.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	9815

Occasionally if I do a special with an extra heavy topcoat I'll spin it but that fairly rare now.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:07 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

If you ever run into that problem again, simply heat the area with a hair dryer or small torch, imediatly after contact ( if you use a torch dont get too close) heat the entire plug watching carefully, the epoxy will smooth out and you can then leave them alone.... this tecnique also can be used if you notice rough spots, or epoxy settleing in one end, it's quick and effective, no recoat needed..... make yourself some type of spinner/ dryer, that way you can avoid this type of problem in the future...
Old 02-11-2009, 03:59 PM

Alot of info there guys,i'll be putting it to use. Love your work as well , you guys seem to have it down to a science. Roc, can i use that method with heat even if i missed a spot and the plug completely dried ?
Old 02-11-2009, 11:28 PM

Once the plug is dry it's heat proof, it's pretty much anything-proof short of sandpaper.

I use a hair dryer on each plug as soon as it's coated to remove the bubbles and, like Roc said, to smooth it out.
If you have a lot of bubbles, breathe into the back of the hairdryer as you go over the plug. The Co2 in your breath pops the bubbles.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:51 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

as sudsy said, once dried, your down to fire to make it move, but the heat solution works up to about 3 1/2 hours... next time you epoxy, try this experiment, take your brush.. after the epoxy has thickened, heat it.. watthc how much epoxy drips off the brush....
Old 02-12-2009, 04:32 PM

Well gents i've been sanding my butt off ,kills me cause i went through my paint on two,alot of work ahead. One was a great spook that was awsome.By the way guys,picked up a lathe,airbrush,hardware(nj tackle..35 mins from me)and basically everything I need first wk of Jan,so I'm pretty new at all this but felt very confident taking this on because I read every thread here(plug building).Going to continue to have my bad days for a while but so for it's all good and I really appreciate you guys and thanks again. Markg ps.. i was a bait slinger
Old 02-12-2009, 05:38 PM
First Mate

hey markg you must live kinda close to me, the store is in point pleasant rite ? cuz im real close to there... it will be were i test most of my plugs just on the manasquan side of the inlet
Old 02-13-2009, 12:28 AM

Then you've probably seen me a few times bouncing jigs.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:38 AM
First Mate

wow just realized your in nj too suds.... sandy hook is were i grew up saltwater fishing... allways go on party boats out of the high lands since i was real young
Old 02-13-2009, 01:18 AM

Hey guys, we're right around the corner. RC I'm about thirty mins from Brielle and Suds is a lil way up.Love it up there ,never fished it though....they throw plugs up there and never thought i'd be welcome slinging bait :))) I practically grew up down LBI and never fished anywhere else.Great water there and know it well, all 17 mi. of it. Just trashed two more plugs tonite,that darn expoy is tough to work with.Warmed it, mixed it and by the time i started my second it geled up on me,torched it up in smoke.I know ..........hairdryer.....wasn't going to ask sleeping wife where it was though.No more bait for me guys was sold on the whole plugging deal by a friend...i'm hooked. I like like your turning method suds and thanks again....Markg
Old 02-13-2009, 11:37 AM

I say Sandy Hook in my profile because it's the center spot of where I do 90% of my fishing, back Raritan bay to 'Squan inlet

I live in Manalapan

You're plugs were smoking ? Umm, you did something seriously wrong !