Braid Tangles - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boaters Forum This forum is for boaters both fresh and saltwater. Trolling / Tips / Tactics / Maintenance

Old 05-13-2008, 09:48 AM

Default Braid Tangles

If I use braid attached to a three way or fishfinder rig. The area where the braid and mono come together always twists or tangles. Any reason why and how can I fix.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2008, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Braid Tangles

Using a three way . Try tossing the rig with the weight up front and the leader with the bait perpendicular - flowing with the current.
Using a fishfinder. Purchase some hard nylon or ceramic heavy duty fishfinders especially made for braid instead of the cheap plastic ones. Fasten the the sinker directly or closer to the snap.
Pay attention to the little things before you cast and make sure nothing is twisted.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:39 PM

thanks,
I have to look for ceramic ff.. never seen any.
appreciate info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2008, 08:29 PM

Heres some of the nylon ones from Shark River Mail order. They are pretty durable and not as expensive as the others. Im sure they can be found at other online retailers. The tackle shops charged a 1.50 a piece for the green ones.
Nylon sinker Slides
Old 05-13-2008, 10:21 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

fishing a three way with braid (especially with eels) is a mess. why were you using a three way? that will happen with mono as well but wont be as traumatic (and i use the word traumatic loosely) the answer to the test is braid to leader to hook with a sinkerslide for weight. the thinner the braid (# test) the worse the knots and loops are to (TRY) and undo. jim is probably right as the fishfinder is too thin to allow it to pass through whatever knot you have connecting the leader to braid. sand will get into the opening of any fishfinder and clog it as well and when that happens your trouble is compounded when you get a fish on and it rolls and creates this mess. the sinkerslide stays above the knot and causes alot of excess line to be available for tangling. your knot to leader should be as low profile as possible and as jim pointed out the ceramic or heavier plastic sinkerslides specifically made for braid are the way to eliminate some if not all of this mess. here is a link to what they are on ebay Super Sinker Slides

Old 05-14-2008, 12:42 AM

Just to be clear i should point out that I dont think that the sinker slides material is ceramic. They are made from heavy duty nylon. They hold up well to braid.
Braid will cut right through the regular plastic fishfinders after a few casts.

Jacob and Gunny put a newer type of quick slides to a test recently with poor results.
Being that this is the boating forum and not surfcasting they probably are fine if not flinging weight. https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=8035
Old 05-14-2008, 08:27 AM
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
Jacob and Gunny put a newer type of quick slides to a test recently with poor results.
Being that this is the boating forum and not surfcasting they probably are fine if not flinging weight. https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=8035
Quick clarification.... as I mentioned in the thread that Jim linked to, I LOVE these things. The only problem I've had with them is that lighter weight braid can get pinched in them. Works great with heavier braids or mono.

Also, to help avoid the tangles, I've started using a 50lb test mono leader about 15 feet long tied direct to the braid with an albright knot. Put a swivel at the end, then tie on your bait rig. Most of the time the sinker slide stays on the heavy leader, and rarely travels up far enough to slide onto the braid where tangling could become an issue.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:02 AM

Bait, I just started using these and I had 4 of them come off during the coarse of a day. A couple during the fight and a couple while casting. What am I doing wrong? You just twist them right? Or is there a way to lock them? I want to love these things, but i was getting royally POed.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:59 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

throw them away! i saw first hand what they do and ed white and i laughed our arse off testing them with sudsy! suds did some catapult cast and the weight just flew one way and the thing scared the bejeebaz out of us. i had to duck for cover!. so much for the tackle evaluation. i would venture if they were cheap enough they would be good for a quick fix in a pinch kinda deal when the bite is hot but have to cast them gingerly and i would also venture that they will come undone on bottom as sand or weed gets caught in it and undoes it as the lock is not such a lock at all. my evaluation anyway.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:53 PM

I knew someone tested them. lol I thought it was jacob and gunny.
You will have to write up an official evaluation Paulie and stick it in the eval forum.
Now I remember the smerk on Sudsys face.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:48 PM

Holy crap that's funny. Here I thought I was doing something wrong!!!
Old 05-15-2008, 08:52 AM
Pro Staff

Interesting. I've not had that happen once, and am on my second season with them. You do know you have to close the thing, right? Maybe they changed something about them since I bought mine when they first came out, but mine have a pretty positive click when you've closed them far enough.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:24 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

they were closed> don;t worry though, worst case scenario is you lose your lead. "which btw an 8oz will run you a buck fifty here anyway"