garcia mitchell reel - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop > Tackle Evaluation & Product review
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Tackle Evaluation & Product review Tackle listings and product review Forum

Old 03-27-2008, 11:27 AM
Lunker

Default garcia mitchell reel

I picked up an old reel at a yard sale $1 it is marked Garcia Mitchell 306 anybody know anything about them? signed Goog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2008, 04:03 PM

Default Re: garcia mitchell reel

Phil .
The 306 was a very popular reel back in the day. A slightly larger saltwater version the 302 was known as an eggbeater reel. It was the most popular open faced saltwater surf reel of its day.
The 302 and the 306 as open faced spinning reels are comparable (at least in size anyway) to the Penn 704 and 710. The 300 was the revolutionary prototype open faced spinning reel made in France in 1946 which all other open faced reels were copied from. See these threads.
Garcia Mitchell
Born in 1946

The Reel Story
I have several 306's. They are difficult to get parts for but not impossible.
It is a nice little reel but they dont like water (they can be packed with grease) and i had one fail on me during a fight so it doesnt see much use unless im casting from a lake shore or dry land and I feel its a fit for a particular rod. I have one spooled with crystal fireline and it holds it very nicely.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:53 PM
Lunker

thanks for the info JIM .... I just finished taking it apart and cleaning it out....... it spins pretty well..... I may set it up to keep in the van to snag bunker in GK park. I also cleaned out and lubed the baitrunner as per your instructions and it came out real nice Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2008, 10:17 AM

As stated the Garcia Mitchell was the name of the game in spinning reels at one time. Have had a 306 since the late 50's or early 60's. In that time I only replaced the bail and a worn out handle. Still use it with a 9' stick.

Sometimes parts can be a mismatch since over a span of years they change the individual components a tad and sometimes have a problem fitting. Also the spool rotates opposite than that of most reels so the kit to convert it to manual bail might cost more than the reel goes for.

The 306 is a bit smaller, simpler, and has less internal parts than the 302...I still kinda like 'em and gotta say...They've earned their keep.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Lunker

sold it on e bay for 25 i personally will stick with my 2 greenies for old time reels
Old 10-23-2008, 04:00 PM
in awe of real fisherman

jim,
I have the mitchell that you had up in RI for the Jamestown gathering. Do people mill holes in the mitchells for drainage like they do on the Penn 704's and 710's....was thinking of trying it out..
Old 10-24-2008, 12:49 AM
First Mate

I own a mitchell as well. Pretty nice reel if you ask me.

Actually mine just says Mitchell Riptide 8000. I got that in London. 50 pounds.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:20 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

I will never get rid of my old Mitchell's. I have a few, and don't use 'em much anymore, but they're a BLAST!
Old 10-25-2008, 06:24 PM
Official Member

I broke out the 306 - it was my fathers - the retrieve was a little slow -You have to be pretty careful with your line management - premature bail closing once in awhile- I think the 400 series had a faster retrieve- Def a classic reel - Looks pretty too. Threw some fireline on - ran nice - Wouldnt be my got to reel though. Spent the last week contemplating it though. It did cost me a bucktail on the bail closing.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:09 AM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

Any 400 series Mitchell has the "High Speed" gearing. For instance, the 402 is the HS model of the 302, and 306 and 406. So on and so forth. I prefer the standard gearing. Some were fitted with cross wind cams, an after market product. This part alleviated the piling up of line on the Mitchell spools. I know the 306/406 models were notorious for that.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:55 PM

i have recetly inherited four mitchell three hundred reels, one of which was a half bail, from a deceased relative and i dont have much knowledge yet of angling. i was hoping someone could tell me more of the history and value of these reels because i have had little luck searching it on the internet
Old 02-26-2009, 02:33 AM

There were more 300's made then any other reel in history so don't expect much by way of value.
The fact that so many were made is proof of how good a design it was

Go fish them.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrington300
iIwas hoping someone could tell me more of the history and value of these reels because i have had little luck searching it on the internet
There is a book called "The Wright Price Guide for the Reel Man" Authored by Ben Wright`
Reel through the history of the open faced spinning reel.

Ben has been called Americas guru of spinning reels.
A resident of Le Roy New York, he is a collector author and Historian and specializes in the rare spinning reel.
His book is a great edition to any collectors library.

You can either google it and perhaps find it or contact Ben directly [email protected]
585 768 8806 Im not sure his contact info still applies since the third edition was from 2002.

If you have a specific reel i can look up the info for you .
good luck and welcome.

By the way like Suds says you can still pick up a 300 model on flea bay for anywhere from 9 to 20 bucks. - except of course the rare edition or new in box goes for more. The half bail a bit more as well but even the left handed model isnt worth as much in this country as it is over seas.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:51 PM

thanks for the input, il definetly have to check that out, and i definetly look forward to fishing them this spring
Old 09-30-2013, 10:50 PM
Official Member

I took my DAD's old 306 apart to clean it but have several things wrong in reassembly. Anyone know where there is a video or other aid to help with reassembly?

Thank you.