New guy stationed at the Point Judith Light looking for some insight - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Rhode Island Fishing
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rhode Island Fishing Rhode Island striped bass fishing - Local discussion & reports

Old 08-10-2012, 11:17 PM
Official Member

Default New guy stationed at the Point Judith Light looking for some insight

Hey guys how's it going? I'm new to the surf casting scene, and need a little help.
I'm currently in the US Coast Guard stationed at Point Judith Light. From what I hear it's a decent spot for bass and blues. I'm willing to hit up some different spots, but when I'm on duty the only times I'm able to fish is usually late evening, and I'm stuck in the immediate area.
I'm basically starting from scratch. I have a rod and reel, but the whole tackle section of the sport is quite confusing. If anyone has some insight they'd be willing to shout my way, maybe meet up for a few minutes just to kind of set me in the right direction, that'd be much appreciated. Thanks alot guys!!!!

Very Respectfully,

Anthony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 08:24 AM
Pro Staff

Default Re: New guy stationed at the Point Judith Light looking for some insight

Hi Anthony,
Look into getting a couple darters in the 2oz range. Tattoo Tackle makes some good ones. Also check out the Northbar Bottle Darters. For fishing during the day, a pencil or little neck popper would be a good choice. Of course bucktails are a must have as well. Good luck and welcome to the forum!
Old 08-13-2012, 09:54 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: New guy stationed at the Point Judith Light looking for some insight

Anthony,

Welcome to our state!

You'll see my boat off the Pt Jude rocks many mornings plying for bass, blues and albies during the fall runs.

Have the coffee ready, I'll either have someone swim in or have a surfer make a boat side delivery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 06:23 AM
First Mate

The most important piece of equipment you NEED are Korkers. These are the ones I use, http://www.korkers.com/footwear/fishing/casttrax.html
I'm not sure of the tackle shops in your area but someone down there has to carry them.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:17 AM
Official Member

Thanks for the info! Trying to build up my gear and finding out how expensive this really is lol. I'm gonna pick some korkers up this week. Tryin to got out on the point thursday morning if anyone will be around there
Old 08-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Lunker

Anthony, nice meeting you today man! I am going to shoot you an email tomorrow with some helpful information and I also suggest you check out stripercoastsurfcasters.us if you havent already. Great group of guys more than willing to help out. Actually most of the people that responded here are members as well.

Last edited by Woodpro1102; 08-19-2012 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Second chances.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:15 PM
Official Member

Hey thanks again for working with me for those korkers. The emails have helped out alot. Still huntin down that elusive first striped bass lol.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:04 AM
Lunker

No problem at all. Water is still warm but with these cool nights we have been having the temps will start to drop soon and the bass will move in. There are fish around, just not in large numbers. Bait on the other hand, the amount of bait is insane right now.