Abu Garcia 6500 c3 - need help - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Reels and Reel Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Reels and Reel Maintenance Reel Maintenance and schematics - Discussion on spinning and conventional fishing reels - teardowns and hard to find parts

Old 08-17-2011, 09:59 PM
Official Member

Default Abu Garcia 6500 c3 - need help

Hi all,

I was hoping someone has experience with this reel. I picked this reel up a few weeks ago for fluke and seabass fishing off a boat. I have used the reel 3 times and caught about 20 fish, and only 2 keeper sea bass. So the reel has not been put to heavy use at all. I notice that when I retrieving the line, the handle sometimes spins and the line will not come in. I have to have my drag set pretty tight, too tight for the fishing I am doing to avoid this issue.

I am spooled up with mono, 20 lb test. I am fairly new to baitcasters, and was hoping if someone would be able to point me in the right direction. I did so much research on the reel and am guessing (or hoping) I am missing something stupid. The reviews said this thing was bulletproof.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Abu Garcia 6500 c3 - need help

You were not steered wrong. The Ambassaduers are tanks. Your problem could be a couple different things:

1. weak, missing or incorrectly installed drag spring washers. They should look like this () when stacked.
2. Grease/oil contamination on the drag washers.
3. Line slipping on the spool. This is unlikely unless you are spooled with braid.
4. mis-assembled parts elswhere in the crank assembly

PM or email if you need more help
Old 01-14-2012, 06:55 AM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

I'm sure you got this issue resolved by now. But anytime you have to crank down the star to get drag or the handle to feel like it's doing it's job is because your missing some washers on the stack. The previous poster mentioned those concave washers, that could be the problem. or a missing SS washer could be another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 12:31 AM
Official Member

I think I have the same reel, if it is the silver ambassador, and have had the same problem, my problem was too much oil in the drag washers, patted them almost dry and that seemed to help.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:24 AM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

Yes, that would be a problem as well. Today's drag washer just need a slight film of grease.